GetBMWParts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > Regional Forums > USA - Mid-Atlantic

09-14-2016, 04:03 PM   #1
ptper
Major
Rep
Drives: '18 Avus Blue F80

Hello World!

Hi,

Just wanted drop in and say hello to the community! I'm currently an Audi B8.5 S4 owner looking to get into something more fun and have been reading/scouring the site to do more research. I must admit some of it is like drinking from a fire hose, lol. Anyways, I've been going back and forth on ordering vs. cpo; AY vs SO vs. YMB; lease vs. buying. I hate having to make all these decisions (ok, not really, haha). In any case, just wanted to say hello to my fellow DMV folks! And, if there is anything else that I should be considering, please let me know!

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 05:04 PM   #2
f80er
Banned
Rep
Drives: An M3

Small world my dude. Lots of former B8 S4 owners seem to move on to F80s.
Appreciate 1
ptper589.00
      09-14-2016, 05:30 PM   #3
bb1857
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 X3MC

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Welcome to the real Germany!! I think you would love the driving dynamics of the M3/4. Head to a local dealer and check what they have and try and do a nice little test drive. Then come back and feel free to ask questions, opinions, etc but certainly try the "search" button for the basic stuff so a forum nazi doesn't rip your head off!!

CPO is nice but you don't get the maintenance transfer anymore with BMW which kind of sucks but its easily upgradeable or you can do the simple stuff yourself. Oil changes on these cars is stupid easy and i have heard brakes are very simple also.

New is awesome because you know you get exactly what you want and that nobody else has flogged your car. Leasing is certainly very attractive with the M's due to some pretty high residuals and there is also 0.9 financing right now for up to 72 months which is what I am doing for my incoming whip.

Mod list is daunting but very cool.

That is just a bite size bit of info for you to digest so again feel free to ask questions and go visit a dealer thats close and do a test drive. If you want to PM me I can give you some dealer info as well but I think its best to keep that off the main page.

Last edited by bb1857; 09-14-2016 at 05:37 PM..
Appreciate 1
ptper589.00
      09-14-2016, 06:02 PM   #4
KevinGS
Colonel
Rep
Drives: Past 2015 M4, Current 2013 M3

Welcome. I would consider EVERYthing. LOL Color, interior, transmission choice, financing, options.

If you're not in a hurry, I'd come to an upcoming meet (hopefully in the next 3 weeks or so), and then you can meet some of us and get the true low down on what's necessary and what's not.

If you're lucky, you'll catch some of us at the local Cars and Coffee meets listed in the Maryland Meets thread. Good luck, and stay in touch....
Appreciate 1
ptper589.00
      09-14-2016, 06:39 PM   #5
ptper
Major
Rep

Thanks for welcome and advice, guys! I already feel good about the local community

Yea, I'm going to try and do all the research I can before I pull the trigger. Has anyone ordered one? Just curious about the lead time. A buddy ordered an RS7 recently and it took about 6 weeks to deliver.

Hope to see everyone at a local meet very soon!
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2016, 07:54 PM   #6
chillindrdude
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: anything with 4 wheels

I moved from a B8 S4 to a F80. Great decision
ptper589.00
      09-14-2016, 08:46 PM   #7
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: SO 16' M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptper View Post
Hi,

Just wanted drop in and say hello to the community! I'm currently an Audi B8.5 S4 owner looking to get into something more fun and have been reading/scouring the site to do more research. I must admit some of it is like drinking from a fire hose, lol. Anyways, I've been going back and forth on ordering vs. cpo; AY vs SO vs. YMB; lease vs. buying. I hate having to make all these decisions (ok, not really, haha). In any case, just wanted to say hello to my fellow DMV folks! And, if there is anything else that I should be considering, please let me know!

Thanks!
Lmk if you are interested in talking to a legit SA. I have a contact that I can put you in touch with and maybe take a spin in a M3 or M4. I believe he has a fully loaded M4 less the CCBs in stock. I think he also has a M3 in stock too. A number of us have bought our F8x from him.
Appreciate 1
ptper589.00
      09-15-2016, 06:09 AM   #8
bb1857
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Has anyone ordered one? Just curious about the lead time. A buddy ordered an RS7 recently and it took about 6 weeks to deliver.

Hope to see everyone at a local meet very soon!
Many guys here have ordered for sure myself included but I won't comment on my lead times because my car got hung up in a stop delivery from BMW so its been a little tougher for me.

Lead times "i think" are roughly 8 weeks once the car enters productions but at times it can be tough to find a dealer with an available allocation and the start production dates on the allocation all vary so keep that in mind. Its almost impossible to say that its X number of weeks from the time you walk in, plunk down a deposit, configure your car, and walk out. If you give yourself 3 months thats probably pretty safe but if you do anything individual option or color wise then it add to the time likely.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 06:11 AM   #9
bb1857
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinGS View Post
If you're not in a hurry, I'd come to an upcoming meet (hopefully in the next 3 weeks or so), and then you can meet some of us and get the true low down on what's necessary and what's not.

If you're lucky, you'll catch some of us at the local Cars and Coffee meets listed in the Maryland Meets thread. Good luck, and stay in touch....
Selfishly speaking I hope this doesn't happen until my car comes in!! I don't wanna miss it
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 06:26 AM   #10
cotmfk
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

It was also about 8 weeks for me to get my car. Super easy process. The only two things I would change:

1) Get Comp Pack (and then sell the wheels) - comp pack wasn't available when I ordered.
2) Euro Delivery
      09-15-2016, 06:32 AM   #11
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by EALm4 View Post
Lmk if you are interested in talking to a legit SA. I have a contact that I can put you in touch with and maybe take a spin in a M3 or M4. I believe he has a fully loaded M4 less the CCBs in stock. I think he also has a M3 in stock too. A number of us have bought our F8x from him.
Thanks! I'm still mapping out my strategy on what the configs and vars will be, and then I will start researching dealerships. But, please feel free to pm me his contact info. TIA!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post
Many guys here have ordered for sure myself included but I won't comment on my lead times because my car got hung up in a stop delivery from BMW so its been a little tougher for me.

Lead times "i think" are roughly 8 weeks once the car enters productions but at times it can be tough to find a dealer with an available allocation and the start production dates on the allocation all vary so keep that in mind. Its almost impossible to say that its X number of weeks from the time you walk in, plunk down a deposit, configure your car, and walk out. If you give yourself 3 months thats probably pretty safe but if you do anything individual option or color wise then it add to the time likely.
I think I read your thread...SS right? Man that seemed like an odyssey. That was one of things that got me thinking about cpo or current lot inventory. I don't think I'm too picky, I just want at least the same sort of features as I have in the S4, and for the color not to be black (my current color, lol). At least you're getting some free goodies out of it!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 06:34 AM   #12
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cotmfk View Post
It was also about 8 weeks for me to get my car. Super easy process. The only two things I would change:

1) Get Comp Pack (and then sell the wheels) - comp pack wasn't available when I ordered.
2) Euro Delivery
Yea, the comp wheels are hideous imho. So, the comp pack is like their factory upgraded tune?
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 07:16 AM   #13
bb1857
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think I read your thread...SS right? Man that seemed like an odyssey. That was one of things that got me thinking about cpo or current lot inventory. I don't think I'm too picky, I just want at least the same sort of features as I have in the S4, and for the color not to be black (my current color, lol). At least you're getting some free goodies out of it!
My car is AW if the SS is referring to the color but its been a bit interesting to say the least. They are taking care of me but I don't quite know to what extent until the car comes in. I was in a similar boat and didn't want black either but was dead set on SO interior and ZCP so there weren't many options available until we started looking at 2017's. Being that they extended 0.9 to the 17's it was kind of a no brainer to go that route and not lose a year of depreciation right off the bat. I also wouldn't use my situation or any cars affected in the delivery stop as a reason to alter your plans. This was a very one off situation(that BMW fumbled big time) but I don't see it really being an issue moving forward.

ZCP is basically a factory tune but the suspension and drivetrain differences are what I have been told by ZCP owners is what really sets the car apart. I didn't even test drive a ZCP car and I knew i wanted it. Also I wouldn't dismiss the ZCP wheels until you see them in person. They are WAY different in person versus the pics. If you don't like them no big deal but I'd see them in person before forming a final opinion. Many people still don't like them which is cool. Less out there which I am good with! LOL
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 08:32 AM   #14
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bb1857 View Post
My car is AW if the SS is referring to the color but its been a bit interesting to say the least. They are taking care of me but I don't quite know to what extent until the car comes in. I was in a similar boat and didn't want black either but was dead set on SO interior and ZCP so there weren't many options available until we started looking at 2017's. Being that they extended 0.9 to the 17's it was kind of a no brainer to go that route and not lose a year of depreciation right off the bat. I also wouldn't use my situation or any cars affected in the delivery stop as a reason to alter your plans. This was a very one off situation(that BMW fumbled big time) but I don't see it really being an issue moving forward.

ZCP is basically a factory tune but the suspension and drivetrain differences are what I have been told by ZCP owners is what really sets the car apart. I didn't even test drive a ZCP car and I knew i wanted it. Also I wouldn't dismiss the ZCP wheels until you see them in person. They are WAY different in person versus the pics. If you don't like them no big deal but I'd see them in person before forming a final opinion. Many people still don't like them which is cool. Less out there which I am good with! LOL
Sorry, SS = Silver Spring

I haven't seen the wheels in person, only online. I like the fact they are 20's tho I've heard the factory/Dinan tunes are fairly conservative. May look into the JB4 at some point, but again, i need to do more research, sigh.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 11:42 AM   #15
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I haven't seen the wheels in person, only online. I like the fact they are 20's tho I've heard the factory/Dinan tunes are fairly conservative. May look into the JB4 at some point, but again, i need to do more research, sigh.
JB4. Map 0, 1, 2, 2
ER Downpipes and 3.8gal E85

Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 12:19 PM   #16
jschweiger
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Quote:
I will second EALm4 contact since I used him!, He is great to work with, and he really bird dogged a couple of issues I had with my delivery.

The only thing I wished I would have done is a performance center delivery. I have done a European delivery before, and it is well worth it to. If you are not buying a car that is already at the dealership and are not in a huge hurry to get the car, do both!
Appreciate 1
ptper589.00
      09-15-2016, 01:19 PM   #17
bb1857
Major
Rep

Garage List
2007 BMW 335 E92  [0.00]
2015 BMW 428GC  [0.00]
2014 BMW 535i  [0.00]
Quote:

Yeah definitely Silver Spring. They have been great during this mess and have tried to help everywhere possible. I would recommend them or Catonsville as they are both owned by MileOne and have some good people for the M brand.
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 04:19 PM   #18
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
JB4. Map 0, 1, 2, 2
ER Downpipes and 3.8gal E85

That is one puuurrdy graph! How does it run in the 1/4 mile?!
Appreciate 0
      09-15-2016, 05:43 PM   #19
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
That is one puuurrdy graph! How does it run in the 1/4 mile?!
lol not quite sure as I havent made it to the track and cant make the next two events coming up.

Probably fast enough to scare the shit out of me
Appreciate 0
      09-16-2016, 08:27 PM   #20
ptper
Major
Rep

Quote:
EALm4 Is your contact located in MD or VA? Feel free to Pm me the deets...may be doing test drives this weekend!
Appreciate 1
EALm43347.50
      09-17-2016, 07:31 AM   #21
EALm4
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
EALm4 Is your contact located in MD or VA? Feel free to Pm me the deets...may be doing test drives this weekend!
PM sent
Appreciate 0