THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Aftermarket Intake Trade-offs

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-14-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
MassNerd
Enlisted Member
United_States
19
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Aftermarket Intake Trade-offs

Rather than hijack the Injen B58 Intake thread completely I thought I'd move a discussion I started there into this new one.

Here's the original thread:
https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1553255

And to restate my questions:
I've been wondering, with all the technology going into modern engines, how could a manufacturer leave 13 HP (Injen claimed B58 intake improvement) on the table of something as simple as a less restrictive intake?

What trade-offs are there to explain why BMW doesn't improve their intake to get that extra +13HP and +18TQ? Is the Injen style of "high flow" filter too costly? Hard to service? Impact emissions or MPG?

Please enlighten me!
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 04:08 PM   #2
MassNerd
Enlisted Member
United_States
19
Rep
37
Posts

Drives: 2019 M240i Coupe RWD
Join Date: Feb 2019
Location: New England

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
After some more internet reading, some OEM filters are designed to reduce engine noise and end up being more restrictive.

So add that to the list of potential trade-offs.

Serviceability seemed to be a topic that came up as well. Panel filters are considered easier to service than conical filters?
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2019, 10:07 PM   #3
dradernh
Captain
237
Rep
605
Posts

Drives: 2017 M240i
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Ohio

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassNerd View Post
Please enlighten me!
Enlightenment comes when comparing the results of back-to-back dyno runs with and without the aftermarket part installed. This assumes the motor is allowed to cool down between pulls. Since they're not too far from you, I highly recommend Granite State Dyno in Hudson, NH: http://dynonh.com/.

FWIW, don't be surprised if the numbers are not what you expected.
__________________
2017 M240i: MT, Moonroof Delete, EB, Black Dakota Leather, Driving Assistance Package, Heated Front Seats
TC Kline Coilover Kit; EDC/eLSD Delete; Wavetrac; Al Subframe Bushings; ARC-8 - 18X9 & 17X9; R888R - 255/35-18 & 255/40-17; Hawk DTC70 Pads; Schroth Quick Fit Pro 4-Point Harnesses
Appreciate 1
      03-15-2019, 07:45 AM   #4
marcthedark
Private First Class
22
Rep
111
Posts

Drives: M240i xdrive Convertible
Join Date: Apr 2017
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Trade off:
Noise regulations
productions costs
must work in many environments (climate and regulatory)
Passenger noise (aka when you buy a luxury car you might want to have it quiet)
Engine component wear (oil on the MAF/MAP/.... less filtration so more dust comes in and increases wear)
Ease of maintenance (drop in a new paper filter in 2 minutes and charge the customer for 10)
And there are easier things to do for 10hp more (different tune or just change the number the car is supposed to have).
And 300+hp are more than enough for 90% of the people buying it anyway. For the remaining 10% .... 5% can use the power and the other 5% just want to have them).
Appreciate 1
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:31 PM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST