THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning How to tell if my M235i has an LSD?

01-22-2021, 01:20 PM   #1
IntrepidTrooper
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

How to tell if my M235i has an LSD?

Hi folks,

I have a 2016 M235i and with it being my first RWD and first car potentially having an LSD i'm curious and not really in a position to tell just from driving it.

I was under the car today and noticed the Drexler logo with the "1.1" stamp. I've been told that Drexler make the LSDs for M Performance BMWs and not the normal open diff but i've seen LSDs with this logo and "1.2" etching so i'm proper confused.

Anyone know if this is an LSD? It's not on the factory spec list but it's possible it was a dealer fit.

Thanks in advance
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2021, 02:36 PM   #2
Feddersen
Lieutenant
Denmark
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive25i

Easy. Lift the rear end until both wheels are liftted and turn one of the wheels. If the other wheel turns opposite at the same turning speed you don't have a LSD.
      01-29-2021, 07:14 PM   #3
ggggbmw
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 Manual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feddersen View Post
Easy. Lift the rear end until both wheels are liftted and turn one of the wheels. If the other wheel turns opposite at the same turning speed you don't have a LSD.
That is not true. I DO have the LSD, and when you turn one wheel, the other will turn opposite. I believe this is because at the slow speed you are turning the wheel, the clutches are not locked and you are getting normal differential action.

Sadly, the case of the M-Perf LSD is completely identical the standard non-LSD differential. (Really wish it had some sort of logo to differentiate it, but it doesn't. Would be so much cooler to be able to peek under the back and see an M on the cover.)

The ONLY reliable way to tell if you have an LSD is to look at the part label. It's located on the top of the differential, so the only way to see it is to jack up the car and try to get a mirror above it. Or maybe your phone and take a picture.
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M240i (daily driver)

Take your car to a low-traction area and see if it does this.
Attached Images

01-31-2021, 07:59 AM   #5
Heitzer
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i; BMW S1000RR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outlaw 06 View Post
And for basic education - and a lot of smiles - watch my cousin vinnie . This is the clip on tire marks.
      01-31-2021, 12:13 PM   #6
jb-slow
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
It'll do that with or without. The ADB system will make power go to both wheels, lsd or not. There's 2 ways to know if the car has a lsd, it's on the build sheet for the car, or you get the part number from the diff and check it.
Appreciate 0
      02-01-2021, 11:01 AM   #7
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jb-slow View Post
It'll do that with or without. The ADB system will make power go to both wheels, lsd or not. There's 2 ways to know if the car has a lsd, it's on the build sheet for the car, or you get the part number from the diff and check it.
You’re correct. The two tire tracks in my photo are possible with an open differential, as long as both tires have EXACTLY the same traction and both tires loose traction at EXACTLY the same moment. It’s much more likely for one tire to lose traction before the other and spin in a characteristic open differential "one wheel peel.”

BMW’s electronic differential uses an Automatic Differential Brake (ADB) system to mimic an LSD, but the big drawback of this system is that it induces increased stresses on the rear brakes under low traction conditions by continuously using them as an LSD.

Based on my previous experience, the M240i with a stock electronic differential would probably have slowed to a complete stop on the snowy hill depicted in my photo due to the car’s multitude of electronic nannies kicking in (ADB, DTC and DSC-induced braking and throttle reduction). The rear brakes would also have been smoking as the nannies brought the car to a stop in the middle of the hill.

BMW's ADB system is very good in most conditions, but it doesn't mimic or perform like a mechanical LSD in all conditions.
      02-06-2021, 04:32 PM   #8
EBM235
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

I am in a similar predicament, but I am trying to find out if the part I purchased is in fact the LSD for the M235i RWD. I was told it was from a 2016 RWD m235i, but have not been able to confirm any of the numbers from an initial look online. [IMG]undefined[/IMG]

I have attached some pics with the reference numbers I can see on it:

7 589 965-04

Also included the picture from the ECS website for reference to what a new one looks like.

Any help would be appreciated. and hopefully the pics shared might be able to help OP if we can confirm this is an LSD for the m235i

update: after having the dealer run the reference numbers, the second number above only matched to the diff for a 2016 440 with a B58. Looks like this is the wrong part.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-06-2021, 04:34 PM   #9
EBM235
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Trying again for the images as they don't seem to have uploaded.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-08-2021, 07:07 AM   #10
Outlaw 06
Major
United_States
Rep

This is the BMW M Performance Limited Slip Differential part number for F22/F23 M235i/M240i cars with manual transmissions (and rear wheel drive).
Attached Images

02-08-2021, 05:51 PM   #11
EBM235
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
This is the BMW M Performance Limited Slip Differential part number for F22/F23 M235i/M240i cars with manual transmissions (and rear wheel drive).
Quote:
Thanks for sharing that info. Mine is an automatic so believe the part is different. if anyone has the same info for an automatic car, that would be appreciated too.TIA
Appreciate 0