View Single Post
      05-22-2016, 11:02 PM   #1
Drpoomanchu
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW M235i Man FBO

M Performance side skirt blades **DIY**

I thought since there were some questions regarding the M-Performance blades I would do a little DIY. This is my first DIY so please use this to your advantage and not to your disadvantage
I would allow at least 3-3.5 hrs for this install. It took me closer to 4 hours with a break and being meticulous as usual (which most of us are)

Parts are as follows per BMW installation manual

http://www.2addicts.com/forums/attac...1&d=1411568438

Intall is pointed here from parts list being similar to the F30

http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/att...2&d=1358459388

Here are the tools and supplies I used

1- Step Bit to 3/16"
2- sharpie
3- ramps if possible or jacks/jackstands
4- 4mm drill bit (not necessarily needed)
5- soap bucket w/water & Dawn with rag to clean side skirt before final prep.
6- Right angle drill or dremel or right angle attachment
7- spare 2x4's or cardboard to prop under blade.
8- hammer
9- masking tape
10- 90+% isopropyl alcohol (NOT NECESSARILY NEEDED)

I started by pulling one side of the car up on my ramps and raised the side approx 6-10". I cleaned the side skirt with Dawn and water to get any dirt/wax and contaminants off the painted surface.

I then propped the blade under the side skirt paying attention to placement under and front to back of the car. The blade should be placed pretty flat against the underside of the skirt and should sit very close to the raised edge where the skirt terminates under the car
as seen in this pic. try to maintain an even straight gap from that raised edge and mark the first hole or two with a sharpie

Start off by drilling carefully into your marks. I used a pilot and then used the step bit by hand until i opened up a 3/16" hole. keep in mind that there is metal body that the skirt mounts to so be aware of your drilling depth as to not damage the metal. after you have successfully drilled out a few holes dry mount the blade using the plastic anchors that are given in the bag. mark another two or three, drill and dry mount again. work from one end of the car to the other to maintain a continuous and seamless placement of the blade. take your time here. repeat this until you are finished.

After all holes are drilled, wipe the area to be bonded against the 3M tape with the packet labeled VHB. I also had 91% isopropyl alcohol which i believe this is.
Now use packet labeled Automotive adhesion promoter 4298 and wipe area to be bonded. be careful and use a rubber glove for this seems to be a pretty harsh chemical. this should soften the area for bonding.
now prepare the blade be pulling a small piece of the backing and folding it over the blade so it can be reached after mounting.

Take the blade and mount it to the side skirt. use your bridging to support the piece while you set in the plastic anchors. do not permanently set them again just dry fit.

Now peel back small sections of the backing at a time. start by applying pressure to the blade to help adhesion. tap in the completion pins into the anchors as you go working from one end of the car to the other.

Once you have gone the length of the car place masking tape using an upward force to maintain pressure on the blades. Leave sit for 30mins.

Now you should have a more beautiful car than when you started. IMO for $210 this is money and time well spent.

Last edited by Drpoomanchu; 05-22-2016 at 11:35 PM.. Reason: corrections
Appreciate 7
fbsm744.00
amw896582.50
peediR1.50