THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Racer20's 228i Track Handling Package Review

06-19-2015, 06:33 PM   #89
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowardM View Post
I am not aware that I could change the tires to 17" Michelin as??
The primary issue is getting the proper 17" wheels to clear the MSport brakes...not all do. Tire Rack can advise, but we've established that the BBS SR model works quite well and looks great! The taller sidewall does help settle the chassis down.
2015 228i 6MT/Track Handling/Tech/Cold/Premium/Lighting/Driver Assistance/KCDesign Strut Brace/M2 LCAs/Rogue SSK/BBS SR/PS4S/ER Chargepipe/AA Intercooler/Dinan Shockware/MPerformance Spoiler/Black Grilles/Xpel Ultimate PPF & Prime XR+ Tint/Adam's Ceramic/no CDV
2024 X3 sDrive30i/MSport/Premium/Dynamic Handling/Shadowline/Parking/Xpel Prime XR Plus/Weathertech Cargo Liner
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 08:48 AM   #90
HowardM
Banned
Rep
Drives: Mercedes clk

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
Ok, now I understand. I actually agree with you . . . as my car has broken in and the weather gets warmer, the "holes" in the semi-active shocks algorithm have started to stand out more, and there are some situations where it is less than ideal. I could go into a bunch of technical mumbo jumbo as to why, but if you want to get into that, http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=942225. I wrote it as a response to an F30 owner who had similar complaints to yours, and it was shortened to a front page article.

Anyway, many of the things I don't like are related to the software control. I'm going to try Dinan's Shockware and see if it fixes some of the issues that I have with it. It might be a couple months before I get to it, but I'll report back when I do.

That said, I think it is still an excellent package for $35-40K. No car is perfect, and this car is still better to drive than any new car in its class.

I agree: the car is fine overall; interestingly... Some years back I drove a Mercedes clk 350: in retrospect, this was a much more enjoyable car for me at least. In sport configuration I got a fine rod feel suspension although steering could have had a bit more of the 228i characteristics in sport mode. That being said, I look forward to the possibilities that might be displayed in the soon to be released c class coupe... I KNOW the ride and suspension characteristics will be great; the question will be how the steering heft and tightness fares up in conjunction with its suspension settings. Now... How to get out of a bmw lease after 2 years without paying a penalty????
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 09:09 AM   #91
den525
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i

It's an old thread but am little surprised... Not at the review particularly. It's a good review, even though I'm not a huge fan of the 228.

I'm more surprised that the M3 the 4 door car is a "weekend" car while the 2 door coupe is the daily... If I was in this man's situation I'd get a base 3 series and get something sporty as my weekend car.

Anyways like some have said M3 nowadays aren't as hardcore as before, it's a perfect daily car in my opinion or the M235i as well if you don't need back seats
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2015, 07:29 PM   #92
LeeT73
Enlisted Member
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW M235i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer20 View Post
I took delivery of my 228i Track Handling Pack (package details) on Monday, and I've put about 250 miles on it since then. For reference, I also own a 2005 330iZHP, a 2015 M3, and I sold my Z4M Coupe last year. This car is intended to be my daily driver, while my wife will take over my ZHP for the little bit that she drives. We traded in her Mini Cooper S on the 228i. I passed on the M235i because I didn't want to make my M3 redundant, and I skipped the premium package and leather in an effort to keep the lease payment down. Here's my build:

2015 228i RWD 6MT Sport Line
Mineral Gray, Black Sensatec with Red Highlights
Track Handling Package
Lighting Package
Tech Package
Heated Seats
HK Stereo

On to the review:

Exterior: 7.5

Styling is subjective, but to me the car's proportions are just a little bit off. I didn't get the M sport package because I wanted to keep some separation between this car and my M3, but the car definately looks better with it. The Sport line helps a bit compared to a no line car, but the silver trim around the windows and less substantial sideskirts and front fascia make the car look a bit top heavy and awkward. IMO the proportions would work better in sedan or gran coupe format, and the car needs to be 10mm lower. I chose Mineral Gray because I didn't want this car to "out bling" my M3. I would have rather had MW or EB, as MG on black is kind of boring to me. Oh well . . . it's a daily driver, and a lease, at that.

Interior: 9
It's your standard F-series BMW interior, which I happen to like. I went with black Sensatec to keep the price down. The seat material is actually quite nice for what it is . . . it's softer than leather and probably more durable as well. The other interior materials are a small step down from my M3, but overall the interior is a very nice place to be. The ergonomics are perfect, the seats are very comfortable (more so than my M3's seats, but a bit less supportive). The size of this car and interior feeling is very close to my ZHP, and noticeably smaller than the F80. It's a perfect size for me. The pedals are perfectly placed for heel/toe, and the throttle is responsive enough to not have to jab the pedal to the floor to bring up the revs, even in Eco Pro mode. The manual transmission is a bit less precise than my F80, but better than most old BMW's. I have no complaints. Overall, there's nothing in the interior that I don't like.

Engine: 8
I'm still breaking it in, but so far I'm pretty impressed with the engine. There's a bit more lag than in my M3, but much less than our old Mini or GTI. The engine pulls surprisingly hard for a little 2 liter in a relatively heavy car, and it's as linear and responsive as it needs to be. In a straight line, it's noticeably faster than my ZHP, and only lacks a bit of initial response in comparison. The sound isn't anything special . . . on cold starts it can sound kind of industrial, but underway it's quiet and unremarkable. I don't feel like the car needs more power. So far after 2 days of commuting (250 miles of highway/city use) I'm averaging 30.1mpg in mostly Eco Pro and Comfort modes. Faster than my ZHP AND 5-6 more mpg. Not bad.

Ride/handling: 9?
Big caveat here: I had the dealer install my snow wheels and tires before I picked the car up, so I can't really comment on how the car handles with the OEM SuperSports. That said, the Track Handling Pack is the whole reason I bought this car. The adaptive dampers work very well, and there is more of a difference between comfort and sport than in my M3. The ride quality is better than both of my other cars, with body control equal to that of my ZHP, even in comfort mode. The car has a plush character, but is well damped and road imperfections are rarely intrusive. In sport, the body control is dialed up a notch, and there is a hint of jerkiness to the ride, but the body roll is reduced and the car becomes more responsive. If the SuperSports work as well on this car as they do on my ZHP and M3, I expect the ride and handling balance to be excellent this spring when I switch tires. The cabin is well isolated from NVH, with wind and road noise being noticeably quieter than both of my other cars. This might bump to a 9 after I swap tires in the spring.

Steering: 8?
Again, I can't fully evaluate the steering due to my winter tires. BMW's press release for the track handling package last year mentioned mechanical steering, which I read to mean hydraulic as opposed to electric assist as most other F-series cars have (edit: Nope, it's electric). I'm not 100% sure if this is true or not. While the response is a bit out of phase due to the squishy tread blocks on my snow tires, the effort seems to build very nicely and the overall response does seem appropriate. Again, I expect to bump this to a 9 after I swap tires.

HK Stereo: 8
The HK Stereo is a step down from my F80, and does not have the full EQ controls of that car. That said, it still sounds decent, assuming you have a good source to listen to. Audio over bluetooth or heavily compressed mp3's will sound like crap no matter what, but 256kbps mp3's via iPhone USB cable is perfectly satisfactory. I'm not a total audiophile, but quality sound is important to me, and I don't have any complaints. I suspect those people who say HK sounds like shit are either listening to bad source material (XM, Bluetooth, low bitrate streams, etc.), or they may just have a different idea of what sounds good. I prefer relatively flat, natural sound, without overbearing bass, so take that how you will.

Lighting Package: 7
I'm not obsessed with LED lights like so many people here seem to be. I want my lights to work well for night driving and have nice styling that fits a $40k car. I don't give a shit that the tail lights aren't LED's, but I DO think it's ridiculous that Xenon headlights aren't standard. A new BMW with Halogen's seems ridiculous to me, so I got the lighting package. I'm glad I did, but that said, BMW's lights never seem to have enough range. All 3 of my cars have an abrupt cut-off beyond which the road is dark, and in all 3 of them, I wish that cut-off was about 15-20 yards further out. It's a bit annoying, but not the end of the world. There is definitely some margin to adjust the aim slightly up without blinding people, which I did in my ZHP.

Overall: 9.5
I've driven the A3, CLA, and GTI, and this car is simply in another league when you consider how well it does everything. As a daily driver, this car has the perfect blend of performance and comfort, as well as excellent fuel economy. I consider the ZHP to be one of the best sports sedans that BMW has every made, and I bought this car with the hopes of it being "the next ZHP." I won't know for sure until I put my summer tires on in a couple months, but so far, it's looking very promising.
Great to hear how much you like this car. Especially given the fact you own an M3. I LOVE my little 228i. Once I get the windows tinted and some smoky gray rims, this car will get to the next level aesthetically. I do agree that it looks a little funny from some angles, particularly when on flat road. On my sloped driveway, it looks better. Strange that.

Anyway, enjoy!

I have the track package too, with M Sport brakes, and it's so much fun.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2016, 11:22 AM   #93
F1HAMMY
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 228

M-sport no track pack

Okay all, I've now ordered the same car twice (228) due to the Army shuffling me around quite frequently

Mineral gray
Manual transmission
M-Sport
Harman Kardon
Heated Seats

I'm thinking that the fixed M dampers will suffice for daily and autocross usage. Is there anyone that has only the M-Sport, skipped the track package and is looking for a rope and a shower rod on a daily basis????

F1hammy
Appreciate 0