THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum 2014 NYIAS: BMW 228i with Track Handling Package

04-16-2014, 01:27 PM   #1
Mark
Administrator
Rep
Drives: 1M

Garage List
2014 NYIAS: BMW 228i with Track Handling Package

BIMMERPOST NEWS
2014 NYIAS: BMW 228i with Track Handling Package
COMMENTS

Quote:
The BMW 228i Coupe with Track Handling Package

Woodcliff Lake, NJ – April 14, 2014. . . BMW announced today the availability of the all-new Track Handling Package for the 2015 BMW 228i Coupe. Inspired by the original formula of BMW “S-package” vehicles manufactured in the course of the past three decades, the new Track Handling Package embraces the desires of the most enthusiastic BMW drivers. It includes the M Adaptive Suspension, Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires on unique 18-inch light-alloy wheels , Variable Sport Steering, and M Sport Brakes. The package will be available from July 2014 (production) for both 6-speed manual and 8-speed Sport Automatic transmission-equipped BMW 228i Coupe models. The Track Handling Package may be added to any 228i Coupe during the vehicle ordering process. Pricing will be announced closer to the on-sale date.

A chassis that speaks to its driver: Adaptive M Suspension.
With a starting stance 10 millimeters lower than the suspension of a standard BMW 228i Coupe, lowering the car’s center of gravity, the Adaptive M Suspension adds front axle and central accelerometers. These sensors gather data instantaneously and, when combined with data from the existing steering angle sensor, throttle position, and brake pressure sensors, form a comprehensive real-time profile of damping needs at all four corners to effectively read and adapt to the road. The valves of the dampers adapt in milliseconds to the conditions of the road and the wishes of the driver, minimizing vehicle squat, dive, and roll, to ensure the BMW 228i Coupe feels equally at home on a smooth canyon road, unusually rough surfaces, or during the daily commute. The desired suspension setting can be selected using the Driving Dynamics Control switch in the center console.

BMW Variable Sport Steering.
Long suggested to be part of the mythical “Bavarian black magic” of balanced vehicle handling, BMW Variable Sport Steering employs a mechanical steering rack with a directness ratio that varies in a prescribed way throughout its range of travel. At steering angles near center (for example, when driving straight ahead), the ratio is slower, providing maximum vehicle stability for highway speeds and straight-aways. As the driver bends the car into a corner, the mechanical ratio of the steering rack becomes faster and provides the driver with precise, lightning-quick response for mid-corner adjustments to “the line.” At extreme steering angles such as those required to negotiate a hairpin turn or during “opposite lock” maneuvers, the ratio is quickest.

M Sport Brakes system.
The M Sport Brakes system features fixed, four-piston calipers at the front axle and two-piston calipers at rear, with particularly large brake discs (front disc diameter 13.4 inch, rear 13.6 in. ). The calipers are painted dark blue and carry the M logo at the front axle. Brake pads chosen for sharp responsiveness, long term thermal stability and linear pedal feel on the street are fitted at all four corners. In exchange, enthusiast customers likely won’t mind that the pads of the M Sport Brakes emit slightly more dust under heavy use than the standard 228i Coupe brake pads.

Race-derived tire technology.
Ultra-high performance, non-run-flat Michelin Pilot Super Sport tires, similar to those featured on the BMW M235i Coupe, are also included with the Track Handling Package. Developed with technology transferred directly from years of world championship-level sports car racing in Europe and the United States, they provide superb feedback and the ideal balance between agility and stability. The Pilot Super Sport design places top priority on giving the BMW driver massive grip in both wet and dry conditions. Wider rear tires are used as an additional traction improvement measure. A BMW Mobility Kit is featured as standard equipment, as is 24-hour BMW Roadside Assistance for the first four years of vehicle service.
Source: BMW 228i Coupe with Track Handling Package

BMW 228i with Track Handling Package

04-16-2014, 01:47 PM   #2
Falafel Combo
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 xDrive50i

This thing will sell like hot cakes! Might even make more money off it than the M235i!

Looks great too.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:53 PM   #3
haitham87
Private First Class
Lebanon
Rep
Drives: 135i, JB4, AA BOV, PE

No LSD or will the optional lsd fit the 228?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 01:57 PM   #4
cbrando68
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: E90 LCI

I don't understand the bland wheel design. Maybe they should have consulted HRE?
      04-16-2014, 02:12 PM   #5
ska///235i
***** noob
United_States
Rep
Drives: 325xi>M235i>428GCx Mspor

Garage List
2006 325xi  [0.00]
Dont see the excitement unless its a dirt cheap pkg that bmw will charge
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 02:19 PM   #6
paulbrenneman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i M-Sport ZF

Huge win for BMW. I think the development of this new 228i track pack, the m235i and the m235i racing really show BMW has heard the complaints of many enthusiasts these last few years that bmw has drifted too far from their raw, driving experience oriented roots to more of a higher priced, premium, luxury-centered lineup. These new cars I think really answer those complaints and show how much they care about their loyal customers, well done BMW.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:02 PM   #7
kevinlevrone
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

They should have included the LSD and charge more for the package, otherwise they can't call it 'track handling package'. Also, those don't really look like track wheels...but this is a matter of taste anyway.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #8
SoCali E36
BMW Client Advisor
United_States
Rep
Drives: X5 40e/e36 M3 Sedan

Can someone please clarify what the Mechanical Steering Rack is? I assume it has nothing to do with the power steering (hydraulic/electric)?
      04-16-2014, 03:16 PM   #9
Blown850
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G14 BMW M850i Carbon/Night Blu

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCali E36 View Post
Can someone please clarify what the Mechanical Steering Rack is? I assume it has nothing to do with the power steering (hydraulic/electric)?
ditto, they make such a statement out of it but it seems more marketing than actual difference from the normal variable steering (electronic).
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:22 PM   #10
tommy
Benz Interloper
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2002 Benz C230, 1990 CRX ZcSi

Quote:
Originally Posted by ska325xi View Post
Dont see the excitement unless its a dirt cheap pkg that bmw will charge
I'd agree with that. Unless the wheels are really light (say, in the 15-18 lb range), it's not really a track package instead of a marketing package. I'd prefer a track delete package, where more of the luxury stuff is removed, and the customer gets a % back on the stuff that's removed. That would be more "heritage" worthy, imho, instead of stuffing things in that I'm guessing would be better handled in the aftermarket.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:32 PM   #11
lonestar22
Ground Clearance?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 540i & X5

this shouldve been the 228iS

E90 330i - E90 335i - E92 335i
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
3liter1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 X3

This could be a great compromise for many

I am tired of ruining the balance of OEM/stock cars with endless progessions of aftermarket tweaks that address some shortcomings but create others.
By the way - you could already "check the right boxes" as someone else mentioned, and get very close to this configuration. Not sure i'd really want to thrash a turbo engine too much at the track anyway - but if you can keep it to "8/10'ths" - it could be a good car for a few fun track days a year
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:39 PM   #13
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommy View Post
I'd agree with that. Unless the wheels are really light (say, in the 15-18 lb range), it's not really a track package instead of a marketing package. I'd prefer a track delete package, where more of the luxury stuff is removed, and the customer gets a % back on the stuff that's removed. That would be more "heritage" worthy, imho, instead of stuffing things in that I'm guessing would be better handled in the aftermarket.
Maybe if you actually read the press release, you would understand that it is exactly what you are saying. You now DONT have to get M Sport etc to get all the good handling goodies.

Also, in what alternate universe do you get a % back for de optioning a car? What does that even mean? How exactly would the aftermarket take care of variable sport steering and dynamic dampeners? Are you sure you are a human or are you a dog typing away at the computer trying to fool us?

Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:40 PM   #14
F30form
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: '13 Mini Cooper S Hardtop

Quote:
Originally Posted by AudiS4 View Post
I am tired of ruining the balance of OEM/stock cars with endless progessions of aftermarket tweaks that address some shortcomings but create others.
Like?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 03:44 PM   #15
TSM330i
2006 330i, TSM, Black, manual, sport
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 C2, GTI, Z4 3.0si Racecar

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulbrenneman View Post
Huge win for BMW. I think the development of this new 228i track pack, the m235i and the m235i racing really show BMW has heard the complaints of many enthusiasts these last few years that bmw has drifted too far from their raw, driving experience oriented roots to more of a higher priced, premium, luxury-centered lineup. These new cars I think really answer those complaints and show how much they care about their loyal customers, well done BMW.
I agree to a certian extent (believe me, I REALLY like the 2-series) and will probably replace my e90 with a 2-series (M2 please!).

With the M235 weighing 3500lbs, I think they're getting away from a complete enthusiasts car. 3500lbs is heavy for a small, 2-door coupe. Why does the Subaru WRX weigh so much less with AWD?

I have taken great pains to drop as much weight off my e90 (a 330) as I could. My car weighs 3,260 lbs with the standard BMW battery. Yes, I can feel the difference in weight when I drive my buddies cars that weigh over 3,500lbs. Anyone that drives my car thinks it's a 335.

In the end, I'm more interested in the 228 with the track package because it weighs so much less than the 235. It will handle better and be so much more fun in the twisties.

I really hope BMW goes balls out with the M2. Drop the weight to what the 228 weighs and give it about 360 - 380hp and they'll hit a grand slam!
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:08 PM   #16
paulbrenneman
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: Mineral Grey 335i M-Sport ZF

Quote:
Originally Posted by TSM330i View Post
I agree to a certian extent (believe me, I REALLY like the 2-series) and will probably replace my e90 with a 2-series (M2 please!).

With the M235 weighing 3500lbs, I think they're getting away from a complete enthusiasts car. 3500lbs is heavy for a small, 2-door coupe. Why does the Subaru WRX weigh so much less with AWD?

I have taken great pains to drop as much weight off my e90 (a 330) as I could. My car weighs 3,260 lbs with the standard BMW battery. Yes, I can feel the difference in weight when I drive my buddies cars that weigh over 3,500lbs. Anyone that drives my car thinks it's a 335.

In the end, I'm more interested in the 228 with the track package because it weighs so much less than the 235. It will handle better and be so much more fun in the twisties.

I really hope BMW goes balls out with the M2. Drop the weight to what the 228 weighs and give it about 360 - 380hp and they'll hit a grand slam!
Weight is a huge factor in the dynamics of a car of course but (not to point the finger at you) but I think the importance of the numbers are blown way out of proportion on the internet sometimes. We can't really know how it really feels until driving it and further driving it back to back with a M235i. In my opinion, it really isn't the specific number of lbs that matters its how it feels to drive, in the same way I don't think the specific number of horsepower is as important as how powerful it feels.

But I'm with you, I think reducing weight is important and I can't wait to see how it performs on the track. I watched this video earlier today with the M235i on Willow Springs and man it looks fun! The 2 series seems like a really great chassis, hopefully this new 228i track pack will bring that epic M235i driving experience down to an easier to reach price

(
)

Last edited by paulbrenneman; 04-16-2014 at 04:27 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:16 PM   #17
r3dbimmer89
Major
Rep
Drives: P-Car

How different is the M235i from a 228i track package besides the N55 motor and M sport body kit?
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:43 PM   #18
conradb
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 (ZCP/DCT/ZCV)

"Track Handling Package"

Really? It's just some adaptive dampers, some stiffer springs, and some decent brakes (finally). They don't even include an LSD. I hope that's at least an option across all these new track package cars.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 04:54 PM   #19
jms644
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i 6MT

This really doesn't provide much that isn't available as of now. The car pictured here that is being passed off as a 228i with Track Handling Package is actually just a sport line 228i with Dynamic Handling Package, PSS tires, and M Sport Brakes. The only options this track package adds that aren't currently available are the PSS tires and the ability to have the M Sport Brakes without having to spec the M Sport Package. I'm not sure why they're claiming "unique 18-inch light alloy wheels", they're the exact same wheels that are available now on the sport line model (hence what you see pictured). If you're skeptical then go build a 228i on BMW's website, spec it with sportline, and compare the wheels to what you see pictured here.

So let's work out projected costs for this track handling package: it includes adaptive M suspension, variable sport steering, M Sport Brakes, and PSS tires. Currently both the adaptive M suspension and variable sport steering are available through the Dynamic Handling Package ($1000), the M Sport Brakes are $650, and then that leaves the PSS tires. I like to state facts and not make speculations based on nothing but intuition so I won't speculate as to what I believe this Track Handling Package will cost. But I'm sure it will be quite a bit more than the $1650 total cost (for the Dynamic Handling Package and M Sport Brakes) + what the average enthusiast values the PSS tires at. Putting it together in a package just helps to mask the individual costs/values of each item individually. BMW marketing at its finest.

As per the confusion for the "mechanical steering rack", this isn't some entirely new rack and it is not a hydraulic rack. It's the same electric power steering setup that is currently available on the 228i through the dynamic handling package and the one that's standard on the M235i. In the most non-technical explanation possible, the mechanical steering rack just refers to the gears that mesh together and allow you to turn the front wheels by turning the steering wheel. Every steering setup on every car has a mechanical steering rack. The power assist is what varies car to car, and the only type of power-assist that is available on any 2-series is electric power assist. The only reason there is mention of the mechanical steering rack is so that they can add in the bit about the variable ratio of the gears themselves which help to make this "variable sport ratio" BMW speaks of. The ironic part is that most track enthusiasts actually prefer a direct ratio since it is more predictable and doesn't vary with the number of degrees off center the wheel has been turned. Hope this helps clarify any confusion or ambiguity, which is something I strongly believe BMW utilizes to it's own advantage when determining pricing for these packages.
      04-16-2014, 07:35 PM   #20
Bahn360Photo
Fitness Gene
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 M4

Garage List
2006 bmw m5  [10.00]
2016 bmw z4 35is  [7.50]
2000 bmw m5  [10.00]
2018 BMW M4  [10.00]
1987 BMW 325 Conver ...  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpinweiss 335i View Post
This thing will sell like hot cakes! Might even make more money off it than the M235i!

Looks great too.
wait until you see the price tag...you will be able to get M235i for same $$

Effective 11 Min Home Workouts?????
No equipment?????
20 years of experience
Spartan Race winner
PROtrainer!
Click the link??
https://www.youtube.com/c/FitnessGene
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #21
flyga3
Geboren zu Fahren!
United_States
Rep
Drives: F25 X3

Garage List
I see there is a posted info stand next to the car. Any pricing on this package?
2005 R53 MINI Cooper S (retired)
2002 E53 X5 3.0 (retired), 1999 E46 328i (retired)
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2014, 08:21 PM   #22
SuitedUp
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport

Don't get so hung up on the name of the package. They're just repackaging things you could already get and giving it a name that will get people's attention. It's really not more than that, so don't get all bent out of shape about an LSD. Unlike the 6 cyl engine, this one really is just marketing.
Appreciate 0