View Single Post
      03-03-2014, 06:29 PM   #136
Artemis
Rep
Drives: BMW M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmcclane View Post
The 1M Coupé made sense too, and this round they've got more development time. Wasn't the N55 already out when the 1M with the N54 came to the market?!
But look at it like that the N55, thanks to the experience with it is more reliable and it requires time to optimize it for this stage of development.
I'm still waiting for some spy shots with a peek under the bonnet or something like that, because I don't wanna celebrate too soon but it's definitely a good sign (for me).
The initial engine proposal for the 1M was effectively the N55 engine. However, the idea was shelved due to Valvetronic issues: these issues could not be solved within the tight time window. Exit N55 - Enter N54. The rest is history.
(http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showp...79&postcount=1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Venom View Post
As much as I love the inline 6. I really hope it comes with an M engineered S designated engine. This news is rather disappointing. Hopefully it isn't true. I was looking forward to an "S20". Or an untuned s55.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gangsta D View Post
What no supercharged S20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bread View Post
Similar "S-ifying" of the N20 would make for a much more unique motor than an N55.
In the past @Scott26 reported about "a completely reworked N20 based four cylinder" for the M2.
"Although work has commenced on the "Downsized" M, The M2 or the replacement for the most admired 1er M Coupe.
It is known as the "Downsized" M because BMW M are investigating the concept of a completely reworked N20 based four cylinder in terms of the successor to the 1M offering the same recipe as before but with lower weight but still offering the entry to M ownership with the key of precision rather than outright power."

http://www.f30post.com/forums/showpo...9&postcount=23 - July 2012)
And less than a year ago a 4-banger was 'confirmed' too for the M2:
"BMW M2 Coupe - Successor to the BMW 1 Series M Coupe continues the same formula that made the last car be memorable, no huge competitor in the HP race, four cylinder will bring less weight, which matter most as does more enjoyment and overall feel is considered to be more of a priority than who has the biggest numbers. Already confirmed to be coming by BMW CEO.
BMW M2 Gran Coupe - Baby Coupe inherits a four door brother and RWD, Direct competitor to the Mercedes-Benz CLA45 AMG. Scott26 shares that there are now firm plans for an M2 Gran Coupe."

(http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=818302 - March 2013)
Did the BMW M Division change its mind ? Or are different M2 models (with different engine layout) in the pipeline, such as for example a limited edition lightweight M2 version with only the bare essentials (M2 CSL) ?