E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Need quick help! Is BMW letting me down?

06-03-2011, 08:00 AM   #1
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW G05 X5 Sport 2020

Thanks.

Hello-

Small update.

BMW #2 was more than helpful! I was shocked.
Will give me new back tires since I only got 13K out of them (RFT's continental). No argument needed. Said still some tread left but I simply said this is my family car...safety...and that was that. replacing for free. Said normally if the tires do not get 20K out of them they split the cost with the customer. ???(weird). I complained about only getting 15-18K out of my 325 run flats in 2007. They said simply "sorry". I guess enough of us are complaining.
Leak is confirmed back windsheild spray- they found service bulliten (poster who suggested I look for one THANKS!- I didnt find it though but dealer looked and found one).

Will check alignment and fix if needed since they did not at time of repair (Feb) when hit in rear. I asked why they did not check alignment (per i think posters suggestion). Said they should have and appologized.

Wierd. I have never been treated so well. Guess I know where I am taking my car now for service.

Last edited by Cinnamon; 06-08-2011 at 09:21 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:05 AM   #2
Manoah
Captain
Rep
Drives: 335i, LE R1

ive got no advice, but my wife cant even go into bmw because they treat her like garbage. its a 100% different when i go in with her. definetly pisses me off.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:06 AM   #3
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep

ps--NO sports package on the X....and it has Continantal runflats.....
      06-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #4
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manoah View Post
ive got no advice, but my wife cant even go into bmw because they treat her like garbage. its a 100% different when i go in with her. definetly pisses me off.

THANK YOU!! I am a very fisety woman and wont let this drop...but--need to know what I am going to argue about. Tires seems a "no brainer" bc 13K miles is a JOKE!

Unfortunately, husband can't come with me. I will return with him if needed...but I am the fisety one of the two of us...I usually "do better" with this kind of thing...but again, this is not my knowledge area.

Any tips appreciated.

IE- Can anyone confirm that even if I needed a "slight rear allignment" it should NOT have caused the tires to wear down in a year?? AND also--if they say that the tire wear is 100% from the allignment issue--do I argue "but you repaired my car in Dec. after rearended...- you should have checked the allignment after the accident....". Which I feel all is true.

So sad. My heart belongs to BMW. What is up with this? AC compressor breaking at 55K.......full navagation replaced in Dec. 2010 at 3 1/2 years of use. (Thank God under warrenty). This is silly. A $70K car...really???

Last edited by Cinnamon; 06-08-2011 at 09:12 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:14 AM   #5
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Sounds like you need a sit-down with the manager if youre buying $70k cars and are treated like this.

You can definitely go elsewhere for tires in the future but I would hold them accountable for the excessive wear. Try and find a service bulletin for rear end respray, Im sure it includes an alignment check.

No excuse to hear the 'one complaint' reason for a diag. charge. Might just be a simple gasket or O ring so again, Id look for a trusted alternative to your dealership.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:19 AM   #6
reprod
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '16 M3 ZCP

1. Take it to the better dealer which will take care of you.
2. Take it to the better dealer which will take care of you.

3. Tires you can purchase on your own. Take a look at tirerack.com for the same size and brand run-flats you currently have. Compare this to your dealer and take your pick. It should be significantly cheaper at tirerack.com. Get these tires mounted and balanced at a reputable tire place for about $30-$60 for both.

The tires should not wear so quickly but if they did it is more than likely the result of a too much negative camber in the rear. I see alot of X5s with excessive camber.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 08:50 AM   #7
fenixxishot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 335i e92 AW MT

All joking aside, if that leak is windshield washer fluid it's probably not the cause of your musty smell. Actually that usually comes from mold somewhere in ur ac system. Most of the time a new cabin air filter will at least help(not covered but not expensive hopefully ur husband could handle it for u). I'm not saying BMW shouldn't fix the leak I would complaint until it gets somewhere.

As for the tires I've burned through runflats faster granted I have an MT and like to piss off my girlfriend but it is entirely possible they are worn. Runflats just suck your other option is non runflats but then everytime u get a nail u have to call a tow or ur husband.

Lastly u do kno this is a e9x forum right?
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 09:08 AM   #8
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fenixxishot View Post

Lastly u do know this is a e9x forum right?
Thank you! There is some helpful info on all of your replies...

Yes---E9X foum...#1) Previous two BMP's were 3 series so figured we can be friends?....#2) (main reason) needed help fast- the X5 section had not nearly as many postings/replies ??? Kinda dead over there.....

Still, appreciate all and any of your help.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 10:31 AM   #9
Express
Major General
Israel
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Garage List
2006 BMW 330i  [8.30]
Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
Sounds like you need a sit-down with the manager if youre buying $70k cars and are treated like this.

damn a CPO x5 is 70k????????????

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #10
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Red E90M 6MT

1. Since you are not under new warranty, they will charge you for diagnostic. Therefore, it's best for a CPO to try to diagnose as much as possible first before bringing in.

First thing is to figure out what is causing the musty smell. Water draining into cabin or windshield washer fluid? Where is it leaking? By the rear window, down the C-pillar, headliner? If it was the washer fluid, I would expect the cabin to smell like washer fluid. If it was the AC, it would only happen when you have the AC on, and the smell would come out of the vents. If it happens when you enter the car even when it's off and just after a rain, you probably have a leak into the cabin pooling water.

Typically water leakage in the cabin will be found from water
- Somehow entering the sunroof
- Draining around the roof rails/doors
- Draining around the rear hatch.
First two places, there are often water paths that dump water either under the car, or channel it to the back.

2. For your tires, there's a chance that your alignment is off. Uneven tire wear is caused mainly by camber. With the X5, BMW runs them with a lot of camber for inproved handling. Premautre wear is mainly caused by excessive toe values. Toe is added to stabilize the vehicle on the highway. However, this causes increase speed of wear.

It's not uncommon to have tires wear out really fast due to bad alignment, especially if it's been in an accident or if a large pothole has been hit. I would check your alignment as the first step. Being in an accident, the body shop should have done an alignment paid by insurance. If it was not done, I would contact the insurance co / place that fixed the car to get at least an alignment covered. Even if they did not adjust the alignment, they should have at least checked it to confirm it's within spec. If it were specifically the tires, all X5's would have tires lasting only 13K miles - they probably wouldn't be found on the vehicle anymore.

Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:16 AM   #11
hugus311
Titanium silver + Sport + Premium
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i (E90)

Quote:
2) June 2010 ALL NEW TIRES put in my car when I bought it CPO'ed. NOW--rear tires need to be replaced (??). Tread 3 mm -4mm. 13K miles put on the tires. Runflats. Need I say more. Front ones are ok. 8/ left. Suggested replacing rear tires and ballance/rotation. $800 for two tires alone
Runflats always wear faster than regular tires because eventhough they have a stiff sidewall they are made from a softer compound than a regular tire. Im not sure if your tires are staggered, meaning your back tires are wider than front. But to counteract premature wearing you really should have your tires balanced and rotated and alignment check every 6k miles. That why its always better to get lifetime packages for alignments and balancing.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 11:52 AM   #12
PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMS E90 335i AT

Garage List
2008 e90 335i  [0.00]
my .02 on the tires... bad tire wear from bad alignment will result in uneven wear. If they are evenly worn, then its not because of the alignment.

2007 JB e90 retired!
2008 BMS e90 stock for now
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:04 PM   #13
deathsightx
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Did the dealer say your tires were abnormally worn or that they were just worn? If they are worn evenly to 3mm it suggests that the wear may be due to heavy accel. Not saying that for sure but if your fronts are at 8mm it's a little strange to have your rears that much lower, especially since the alignment was only a little off. Having your rear bumper scratched, and that being the only damage, shouldn't knock your alignment out if that's all that was damaged.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 12:23 PM   #14
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathsightx View Post
Did the dealer say your tires were abnormally worn or that they were just worn? If they are worn evenly to 3mm it suggests that the wear may be due to heavy accel. Not saying that for sure but if your fronts are at 8mm it's a little strange to have your rears that much lower, especially since the alignment was only a little off. Having your rear bumper scratched, and that being the only damage, shouldn't knock your alignment out if that's all that was damaged.

Says "abnormally" worn on the print out they gave me......recomendation new tires, tread 3mm (front 8mm). New June 2010

After the accident my rear had two "indentations" (missing rubber/smashed holes size of nickle in black, hard rubber bumper area) on the back from the hit and run's license plate screws (?). Needed to replace entire bumper. No other damages reported. I did go to "Urgent Care" that day as well as my primary Doc a week later (who wanted to give me pain meds but I was nursing). Have documentation - will bring next week to BMW when we discuss things.

So with this said (and reading the last two posts)--was BMW at fault for not checking my allignment at the time of the repair? My insurance co. offered me 0 deductable for taking it to "their shop" or I could pay $250 for "my shop" (BMW). Woman who it me (then ran) had no insurance. My state requires me to have "uninsured motor coverage" - which I did, and I paid my own deductable (Vs free so I could go to the BMW dealer for best service/quality care).

Print out also does NOT say allignment issue...anywhere on report (pretty detailed report)......but VERBALLY the service man said on the phone to me "slight allignment issue in rear" but added it would not "have caused that fast of wear".

Last edited by Cinnamon; 06-03-2011 at 12:39 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:16 PM   #15
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaiNFuLSeDaTiVe View Post
my .02 on the tires... bad tire wear from bad alignment will result in uneven wear. If they are evenly worn, then its not because of the alignment.
Ok, this is the way I take it:

Camber - Uneven wear
Toe - Premature wear
Underinflation - Shoulder wear
Overinflation - Center wear

Having any toe besides 0 causes a slip angle when driving at all times (difference between tire pointed direction and actual tire path). Manufacturers spec vehicles typically with a toe in, which causes the leading edge of the tires to point inwards. This increases stability on the highway, as each of the tires are causing forces towards the center of the vehicle, reducing vehicle wander. However, this causes a scrubbing on the tires, which will wear them out faster. When you have worn suspension components, toe can change on the vehicle causing high wear on acceleration and deceleration.

I zeroed out toe on my M3 for the track to improve turn in and responsiveness, but the highway/high speed stability suffered. The other positive is that I was able to obtain another 15K from my tires, even with camber at -2 deg all around.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 01:50 PM   #16
anerbe
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgneub View Post
Says "abnormally" worn on the print out they gave me......recomendation new tires, tread 3mm (front 8mm). New June 2010

After the accident my rear had two "indentations" (missing rubber/smashed holes size of nickle in black, hard rubber bumper area) on the back from the hit and run's license plate screws (?). Needed to replace entire bumper. No other damages reported. I did go to "Urgent Care" that day as well as my primary Doc a week later (who wanted to give me pain meds but I was nursing). Have documentation - will bring next week to BMW when we discuss things.

So with this said (and reading the last two posts)--was BMW at fault for not checking my allignment at the time of the repair? My insurance co. offered me 0 deductable for taking it to "their shop" or I could pay $250 for "my shop" (BMW). Woman who it me (then ran) had no insurance. My state requires me to have "uninsured motor coverage" - which I did, and I paid my own deductable (Vs free so I could go to the BMW dealer for best service/quality care).

Print out also does NOT say allignment issue...anywhere on report (pretty detailed report)......but VERBALLY the service man said on the phone to me "slight allignment issue in rear" but added it would not "have caused that fast of wear".
Since all 4 tires are of the same spec, I would expect the fronts to also have premature wear it was just the tires. 8mm for the front sounds like it's wearing very well. Rotating every 5-6K would have helped.

You either accelerate and brake a lot or your alignment is out.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:03 PM   #17
JmanND
Rep
Drives: 328i

I had a similar warranty issue come up with a different car of mine (not a BMW). Complained about an issue while under warranty, they tried to fix it but could not. Subsequently it went out of warranty and the issue came back. One of the tech guys let it slip that as long as you have a documented complaint about an issue while under warranty, they are required by law to fix it even if it's out of warranty, as if it were still under warranty. I'm not sure if this varies from state to state.

I think this is an issue that if you push it enough, and complain to the right people in the right way (kindly, but forcefully) you should get it resolved. If all else fails I would spin it on them--While I doubt they would do this - not being fixing an issue near warranty end would definitely seem shady to an unbiased 3rd party observer.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2011, 02:33 PM   #18
Wild Squid
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 335i coupe Msport AW

Sounds like you need a talk with the GM of the dealership. Explain everything and that you've bought two cars from them, and if they don't make it right there will not be a 3rd and on top of that you will do everything in your power to bad mouth them on the internet and anyone you know. Actually they probably won't give a damn about that, dealers always say they value repeat business but that is horse shit, if they have to lose money to make things right with you they'll give you a cock up your ass and send you on your way.
Appreciate 0
      06-05-2011, 11:08 AM   #19
Cinnamon
First Lieutenant
Rep

Update in first post. Thanks for your support

Last edited by Cinnamon; 06-08-2011 at 09:16 AM..
Appreciate 0