E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > UK > UK Technical Forum > LSD

04-14-2011, 08:58 AM   #1
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M135i

LSD

Good Afternoon all,

Just a couple of questions about Limited slip diff.

1. How many brands out there, I believe there is only one in the UK, i.e, Quaife but on US section of the forum there are quite a few. Has anyone in the UK tried some other brands.

2. How one can find out if the LSD is going to be fitted either by weld or with bolts ?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 09:52 AM   #2
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

1) There's others such as Wavetrac but it has been stated by users from the US that Quaife is one of the best options due it not needing any maintenance unlike clutch based LSDs.

2) Sometime during 2007 the gears were changed from bolted on to welded on to the original diff. If you have a LCI e91 then it is likely that you have a welded gear ring and it needs to machined off. It is then bolted onto the Quaife LSD rather than welded on. Bird's say that they have LSDs built up and can then swap the old diff out rather than waiting to get your own one machined.

I'm looking to get mine done during the summer if funds allow it
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 10:59 AM   #3
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by idnan View Post
1) There's others such as Wavetrac but it has been stated by users from the US that Quaife is one of the best options due it not needing any maintenance unlike clutch based LSDs.

2) Sometime during 2007 the gears were changed from bolted on to welded on to the original diff. If you have a LCI e91 then it is likely that you have a welded gear ring and it needs to machined off. It is then bolted onto the Quaife LSD rather than welded on. Bird's say that they have LSDs built up and can then swap the old diff out rather than waiting to get your own one machined.

I'm looking to get mine done during the summer if funds allow it
Thanks Idnan, one thing more as you said the LSD is swapd in place of your open diff so if the time comes to sell the car you can't do anything about it as I wont have your old diff which you could put back?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 11:11 AM   #4
idnan
Lieutenant Colonel
England
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 335i

I suppose you would have to speak to Birds Auto who are the European distributors for Quaife's products. The only issue I see is that if you do put your original open diff back in; you need to get the gear ring welded back on as it won't have the bolt holes. And then you have to factor in the labour in getting the job done.

I recommend speaking to Kevin Bird: http://www.birdsauto.com/
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

If you want to sell on your diff, the best way is to find a buyer with the same car and final drive and just do a swap at a garage.

I'm sure birds could line you up with buyer if they did the fitting

That or you will have to buy a whole diff from a breakers yard to put on your car while you sold the lsd.

BMW don't sell gear rings on their own, only as entire diffs in casings, so the only place to get the gear ring is from your own car.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:04 PM   #6
parapaul
Colonel
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E91 330d M Sport

Garage List
Beginning to sound like a more and more expensive option
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:09 PM   #7
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by parapaul View Post
Beginning to sound like a more and more expensive option
It isn't cheap, true. But I'd say it is the next best performance mod you can do, after a remap. Mine cost £1100 ish (fitted) from Birds although I have the bolted diff. Thoroughly recommended, if you don't just drive in straight lines.

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 01:14 PM   #8
webwysard
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep

As its considered as a Mod, does that mean one has to inform their insurer ?
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2011, 04:02 PM   #9
YvesD
Lamininist
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Carbon Black X5M

Quote:
Originally Posted by webwysard View Post
As its considered as a Mod, does that mean one has to inform their insurer ?
Yep, it should be peanuts tho.

My Guys charged me about £20.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 06:21 AM   #10
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Recommendation for Birds

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike in Hampshire View Post
It isn't cheap, true. But I'd say it is the next best performance mod you can do, after a remap. Mine cost £1100 ish (fitted) from Birds although I have the bolted diff. Thoroughly recommended, if you don't just drive in straight lines.

Mike.
Agree with Mike's comment re Birds and their products. Recently had the Quaife fitted to my E91 LCI along with their B3.5s suspension package + M3 front suspension arms.

This, c/w switch to non RFT, has totally transformed the car in all the right ways and not just for me as the driver but also for the passengers too !!! Rides better and sticks to the road like sh!t on a blanket.

LSD allows you to get the power down much quicker regardless of going left, right or straight ahead. Added bonus was it also provided more traction in the snow last Chrimbo, in combination with some extra ballast in the boot of course.

Granted it aint cheap but I think you get what you pay for with aftermarket add-ons.

The guys at Birds are 1st class, took my barage of questions before I committed to the work and I will definitely be heading back there for fettling of the motor once warranty expires.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2011, 04:19 PM   #11
Mike in Hampshire
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: None at present!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pave Dew View Post
Agree with Mike's comment re Birds and their products. Recently had the Quaife fitted to my E91 LCI along with their B3.5s suspension package + M3 front suspension arms.
Excellent, another member of the Birds club! PD you are so right, the 3.5 package does transform the car although it isn't cheap, as you say.

Now, about those AP brakes and the intercooler, downpipes..........must resist, must resist.........

Mike.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2011, 07:21 AM   #12
doughboy
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2018 M2 Comp 6MT

Resistance is futile!

Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:23 PM   #13
simcat
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: E90 330D SE

Would you say it was worth having a Quaiffe diff if you have a E90 330D SE?

At the moment I've never even seen the DTC light up on the dash so maybe it wouldn't benefit me anyway...
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #14
Em135eye
Banned
United Kingdom
Rep

Garage List
LSD makes my eyes go all funny.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2011, 02:57 PM   #15
m1bjr
LSD - No, you're not seeing things
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: Baby F36 Gran Coupe

Re swapping diff internals - the bigger factor is the labour.
Possibly worth swapping the whole casing over with another person.
But TBH I just bought into it on the assumption its lost money.

Anyone spending money on the Quaife install should also consider the M3 bushes and possibly rear ARB upgrade at the same time.
Whilst the subframe is down its far cheaper to do these other two concurrently. The bushes are VERY worthwhile on a powerful car.