E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > BOV - Diesel

11-04-2010, 04:52 PM   #1
zvvbmw
Private
Romania
Rep
Drives: e90 320d

BOV - Diesel

Hello all.

I've been looking everywhere for videos, pics or comments regarding BOV for diesel beamers. Problem is i just can't find anything. I started thinking that BOV doesn't work for BMW with diesel engines. But in my city there is a GOLF 5 rollin' with a 2.0 diesel engine with BOV and it sounds epic. It makes me wanna hit him...
I've got a 2.0d...nothing much, all stoc except i made a flash tuning and raised the power to 190hp. I love the BOV and I'm really up to installing one for my car. It's just that I CAN'T FIND any info about it on diesel beamers.

I also wanted to ask if there is a difference between diesel BOV and those on petrol engines ? Sound, the way it works, other issues...

I would be very grateful if someone could help me with some vids, pics, specs etc...Anything is welcomed.

Thank you.

...and sorry for my english if something is wrong
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 06:23 PM   #2
M3PGH
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Too Many

No need for a BOV on a naturally aspirated car......
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2010, 08:38 PM   #3
coolchu001
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 09 BMW 335d

I think all BMW diesels are turbo charged...
      11-04-2010, 11:18 PM   #4
Coolieman1220
Banned
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolchu001 View Post
I think all BMW diesels are turbo charged...
most diesels if not all are turbo.

yeah how bout that BOV? and jake break too!
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2010, 12:02 AM   #5
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Short story: BOV is useless / doesn't work on diesels... period.

Long story:
It comes down to the basic method in which a diesel works AND the problem that a BOV is meant solve. A diesel has no throttle body, all throttling is controlled by the amount of fuel injected into the engine. A blow off valve is designed to relieve pressure between the throttle body and the output side of the turbo compressor, thus eliminating the surge of back pressure on the compressor. This is desirable because the surge back at the compressor reduces turbo life as well as slows it down, resulting in longer spool up times after each shift (in a manual car). Most BOV's are designed actuate based off of vacuum off the back side of the throttle body (between the intake manifold and the throttle body), since if the engine is under vacuum the throttle body MUST be closed (or mostly closed).

With a diesel this system simply isn't needed. The engine has no throttle body, and has no vacuum to even actuate one if you were able to put it on there.

Edit to add... that VW might have an "electronic / fake" blow off valve... or maybe he seriously rigged something up to make it happen... but it would be a serious hack job, and probably not something you want to do to your car.

Here's the fake one - http://www.akamoto.co.uk/dump-valve.asp

Last edited by Brian_TII; 11-05-2010 at 12:21 AM..
Appreciate 0