E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > another bs ticket...

10-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #1
hjernazian
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2009 E92 M3

another bs ticket...

was out with my girlfriend, went out, picked up some stuff from whole foods and some liquor and was headed back to my place for some drinks and grub.

i exit the freeway, make a right, and as i approach a pretty major intersection i turn right. the light had just turned yellow as I was about to turn. the last time i checked, if your able to make a safe stop when you notice a yellow light then you stop, if not, you proceed with caution.

i take the turn, accelerate, then the traffic behind me proceeds. out of nowhere i notice a copper behind me with his lights on. first thing i do is check my speed, because despite how cautiously you drive, sometimes you don't realize how fast your going (especially with a JB3), and i was going 42 in a 35. i think "is this guy really pulling me over for going 42?!"

i make the next right and pull over. asks for my license and registration and all that stuff. i ask him why he pulled me over and he gave me major non-verbal attitude, and came back with a ticket that read "red signal" with a code. i looked at it and i'm like wtf? he responds... "you know, all you kids in these fast european cars think you own the road. you ran that red in front of me and don't even think about showing up to court because i'll be there"

first off, i'm not really a kid, i'm in my later 20's and about a year away from my Ph.D. I very discretely referenced to that. He didn't like it.

During all of this, my gf is trying to keep me calm, but you know what, f*** that. I don't need to be calm. I'm not naive. I've gotten tickets before which I have deserved, and have only been upset at myself for being so stupid, but not in this case. There are cops that bust you for stuff you shouldn't be doing, and people label them as assholes, which I don't. I wouldn't have a ran a freaking red light in a major intersection and risked our lives and a ticket, I'm just so over that bullshit. There is 0% chance that I did. I try to explain this to the cop but he responds with "maybe you just didn't notice?". Really?

uggghhh... it seems like everyone other than cops are able to admit that they make mistakes in their profession. Hell, I've made mistakes with my clients. But with cops, the older I get and the more I expect to get over this bullshit the more it seems to keep happening. It's just getting really old, especially since I know this is like a $500 ticket in CA.

There's no doubt in my mind that he saw too young looking "kids" in a nice, fast car, that seemed to be really enjoying themselves. So, he decided to take his miserable, meager existence into some realm of relevance by attempting to ruin our night.
      10-29-2010, 06:07 AM   #2
pantherfan69
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 335D M-Sport

Garage List
2011 335D  [0.00]
yea sometimes they give tickets for the dumbest reasons. I once got a ticket in my 350z for speeding, and I had actually seen him and slowed down, and changed lanes because there was a porsche going easily 15 mph faster than me and I didnt want to be in the cops way when he pulled that porsche!

I think he just pulled me over to see my car, the 350z had JUST come out, and his first question wasnt "do you know how fast you were going" or "do you know why i pulled you over", no his first question was "What year model is this car?"!
      10-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #3
ForTheD
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i 6MT (ZSP)

Garage List
2007 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I think most of us have gotten tickets for dumb things in the past, there is really nothing we can do about the officers that treat us that way. Of course you can fight the ticket, but I'd say don't let it get to you.

I have a good bud that is an officer, supper nice until you meet him in uniform. I don't even want to talk to him when he's with his partner.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 07:56 AM   #4
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by hjernazian View Post
was out with my girlfriend, went out, picked up some stuff from whole foods and some liquor and was headed back to my place for some drinks and grub.
That didn't happen. Do you want to tell us what you were really doing?

Quote:
I wouldn't have a ran a freaking red light in a major intersection and risked our lives and a ticket, I'm just so over that bullshit. There is 0% chance that I did.
If the subject doesn't deny the action then we cannot deny it for him.

Comments like "I would never," "there is a zero % chance that I did" are usually indicators of deception.

Just like OJ said "I want to tell you," unless there is an absolute denial in an unsolicited statement, then we - as the readers - cannot assume that it didn't happen.

Rather than saying "I would never..." an innocent person would say "I didn't run the red light."

Oh, in regard to the opening sentence - I'm not sure what the OP was doing but it wasn't as described.

Why? There is a conspicuous lack of pronouns in that first sentence. The OP was doing something he doesn't want to tell us about.

BTW - a denial at this point means nothing since "I have given the subject permission to lie" by calling him on it.

The OP, in his unsolicited statement, has given us sufficient information to determine that he is not quite telling the truth.

The OP knows I'm right. Will he admit it?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:01 AM   #5
ChasVS
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 MB ML350 Bluetec

You and a PHD with this attitude and logic? They must fucking give them away out there. Ya get what ya deserve so man up.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:09 AM   #6
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChasVS View Post
You and a PHD with this attitude and logic? They must fucking give them away out there. Ya get what ya deserve so man up.
Another interesting point in this statement that there is no capitalization until he gets to the part about his PhD. Thereafter (at least for the most part) he uses correct grammar. Accordingly, we have to question everything in that statement leading up to the word PhD.

Oh, and how do you "discreetly reference" a PhD?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:21 AM   #7
ZoomZoom
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep
Drives: 11 335i, 09 XC90

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:26 AM   #8
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
Yep, if I had the time or interest it might be fun to do a complete analysis of his statement - there are so many things wrong with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:27 AM   #9
Quick6EF
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 Space Gray

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
Yep, if I had the time or interest it might be fun to do a complete analysis of his statement - there are so many things wrong with it.

What do you do for work?

I like this guy analyzing all of the posts, instead of Mr. PhD and his lack of grammar.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:38 AM   #10
ZoomZoom
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

Moral of the story is don't speed...

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 08:57 AM   #11
mr_nelson
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: e92 328i & Volvo s40 2001

Hiernazian,
I understand you, me too I used to get angry at cops who pulled me for bs reasons. But be careful, think of your safety first. Policemen, just like average joes and criminals, are human beings who can get upset for any different levels of reasons. You don't wanna be beat up by him. He has the badge, the stick and could have a power trip too. So my advice is, next time you get pulled over, take the ticket, stay calm, and if its an unfair one, go to court. That's all. As you can see, talking about your PhD can anger some people, could be cops, or folks in a forum who take the PhD comment as a brag.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:12 AM   #12
ZoomZoom
Lieutenant
Germany
Rep

I guess his PhD doesn't equate to common sense.... I was speeding and BS ticket should never be in the same sentence. 7 miles over is still over.

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:20 AM   #13
atwell3993
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 335xi

1. 7 over might not be speeding where he lives, I know where I live, before you hit double digits over, they won't even take a second glance at you.

2. I think all of your are giving the cop too much credit, and reading too far into it. Cops do not like fast cars, in most of their eyes, there's no reason for a limiter to be above 70 miles an hour - I think that's the fastest speed limit in America. So you as readers can't go as far as to completely call the OP a liar basically.

3. I agree with CB1111, you have to have a tone of complete denial, not "I would never...."

4. Not all cops are good cops, I'm 17, and I've been pulled over for 'suspicious activity' and the only thing they ever have to ask me or say is, "is this your car?" or "does your dad know you're driving his car?" In the words of my favorite cop so far, "You're either going to let me search your car, or I'm going to smell alcohol on your breath and search your car."

08 335xi | Sport | Cold Weather | Black on black | KW V1 | 19" VMR VB3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
When even your heroes are criminals, what do you expect?
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:34 AM   #14
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
There's no doubt in my mind that he saw too young looking "kids" in a nice, fast car, that seemed to be really enjoying themselves. So, he decided to take his miserable, meager existence into some realm of relevance by attempting to ruin our night.
Don't you think it's a bit hypocritical to pass judgment on someone for allegedly passing judgment on you? Sounds like you let your self-absorbed assumptions dictate your perception of the facts behind the encounter.

Also, I have to agree with cb here, especially about discreetly mentioning your PhD.

I'm sorry, but the "too" really bothers me as well.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:43 AM   #15
Ridiculous
isn't it?
United_States
Rep
Drives: tiag 2011 X6 5.0

Sorry to hear that man.

We know it's your word against his, so it's gonna be rough fighting it. Hopefully the judge will be easy on you, especially because you weren't in the wrong.

Cops around here are the same way. I recently got nabbed in town, tooling around in my SRT8 Jeep. Two cops pretty much bum-rushed my Jeep with their hands on their holsters. They hit me with enough violations for me to lose my license. "ESTIMATED 57 in a 30" and two other moving violations. HOW DO YOU ESTIMATE 57??
Anyway, I got out of pretty much everything, with the help of a lawyer and traffic class. It costs me about $1500, which sucked.
Cops are out to get young guys in fancy cars. They treated me like a child. I'm 23 years old and should be treated like an adult.

You probably made that officers week, I'm sure he's still thinking about your sick car and how he F'd you in the A.

Just wanted to rant, sorry again about the ticket, best of luck with it.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:45 AM   #16
Norcal_335i
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb1111 View Post
WOW...not going to say it
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #17
TYMAH123
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 SAV

You guys got it all wrong, guy said he's got a PhD, PhD means Pretty Huge D!ck, you all are just jealous and so was the cop. And yes, sometimes the cops can be douches.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #18
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxnix View Post
Go to court and ask the officer about that particular comment after quoting it to him. It will put a serious dent in his credibility.

Good luck on you dissertation. I am sure the officer didn't want to hear that! Probably cost him a little self esteem judging by his prior quoted comment.

By the way, will your dissertation be accepted with no punctuation nor capitalization? I know I have seen some thesis and dissertations that wouldn't get out of my high school English classes with a passing grade.

Let's look at the sentence about his PhD.

"first off, i'm not really a kid, i'm in my later 20's and about a year away from my Ph.D"

First off - indicates that there is a "second" - we don't have that.

"i'm not really a kid - - really?

"i'm in my later 20's" -- later 20's? Does anyone really talk like that? Perhaps he is in his "later 10's." "late 20's might be OK but a real stretch. Most often, the word "late" doesn't come into use until your 30's, 40's or 50's

"and about a year away from my Ph.D" -- wouldn't one normally say "I'm getting my PhD next year?" "about a year away" is pretty squishy. Is a month away "about a year away?" How about 3 years down the road? 20 years?

So, let's cut to the chase.

The light had turned amber and the OP sped up to "make it." The OP went through a red light and got caught. He didn't get caught for speeding but for running the light.

Oh, does "I wouldn't have a ran a freaking red light in a major intersection and risked our lives and a ticket, I'm just so over that bullshit" mean that he has a poor driving record from prior bad acts?

Last edited by cb1111; 10-29-2010 at 09:53 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:53 AM   #19
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I'm kinda tired of the "copz be hatin on us cuz dey wants our lives" threads.

Some cops are douchebags, yes. I will admit that; however, it's funny how many people jump to the conclusion that it's because the cop is jealous of the kid in the BMW.... That's poppycock.

Cool. I've always wanted to use the word "poppycock" on the forum. Thanks OP!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 09:55 AM   #20
kgb1637
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: RS5

Great thread, you ran a "yellow" and got pulled over, deal with it, its happened to 99% of us.
      10-29-2010, 10:32 AM   #21
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
I'm kinda tired of the "copz be hatin on us cuz dey wants our lives" threads.

Some cops are douchebags, yes. I will admit that; however, it's funny how many people jump to the conclusion that it's because the cop is jealous of the kid in the BMW.... That's poppycock.

Cool. I've always wanted to use the word "poppycock" on the forum. Thanks OP!
Correct. I suspect that most cops in Glendale have better things to do.

With the usual caveats about cops of course, we can assume that:

The OP did something to attract attention. Did he tried to beat cross traffic?

Every driver commits a ticketable offense every 5 minutes of driving time. Accordingly, you have to do something else to attact attention - faster than the pack, wrong car for location, weaving, running a yellow while impeding traffic etc.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2010, 10:50 AM   #22
cb1111
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ridiculous View Post
Sorry to hear that man.

We know it's your word against his, so it's gonna be rough fighting it. Hopefully the judge will be easy on you, especially because you weren't in the wrong.

Cops around here are the same way. I recently got nabbed in town, tooling around in my SRT8 Jeep. Two cops pretty much bum-rushed my Jeep with their hands on their holsters. They hit me with enough violations for me to lose my license. "ESTIMATED 57 in a 30" and two other moving violations. HOW DO YOU ESTIMATE 57??
Anyway, I got out of pretty much everything, with the help of a lawyer and traffic class. It costs me about $1500, which sucked.
Cops are out to get young guys in fancy cars. They treated me like a child. I'm 23 years old and should be treated like an adult.

You probably made that officers week, I'm sure he's still thinking about your sick car and how he F'd you in the A.

Just wanted to rant, sorry again about the ticket, best of luck with it.
That's just ridiculous

Why are you saying he wasn't in the wrong? He never said he didn't run the light - he said he "would never run the light."

In general, cops will treat you like you act - if you act like a kid then that's the way you'll be treated.

Your attitude, just like the OP's , isn't very mature
Appreciate 0