Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question about TPMS

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

09-10-2010, 03:53 PM   #1
Greykin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [0.00]
Question about TPMS

What are the detrimental effects of not having TPMS sensors in-wheel?

I'd imagine that the dash indicator will constantly show since the computer isn't getting any data from the TPMS sensors...but are there other ill effects?

Personally, I really don't care about TPMS functionality as I am really good about maintenance and check stuff like tire pressure on a weekly basis anyway...so the more I think about it, the more I'm annoyed at the $200 additional expense of TPMS when I get my new wheels.

If it doesn't jack anything up, I'm thinking I'll just skip on them...anyone have any insight into the wisdom or foolishness of doing this?
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 03:58 PM   #2
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
I take it you are planning to purchase a new car?

If I was you I just leave it on as it comes with the car. Your new car will properly come with RFT so you will need it to let you know if you are loosing pressure between your weekly checks

If you change later to NRFT then the tire pressure warning system still works for you. I'm sure the technology is the same as I had on my M3

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 04:31 PM   #3
Greykin
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i e90

Garage List
2007 328i e90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf-Dieter View Post
I take it you are planning to purchase a new car?

If I was you I just leave it on as it comes with the car. Your new car will properly come with RFT so you will need it to let you know if you are loosing pressure between your weekly checks

If you change later to NRFT then the tire pressure warning system still works for you. I'm sure the technology is the same as I had on my M3
Nah, not getting a different car...but soon I will be replacing my stock 156 style wheels. I just wanted to know if anything nasty would happen short or long term if I don't shell out the money for TPMS in my new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 05:11 PM   #4
kevin@bavarianx
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: E36 M3

You will get annoying error messages. You can just swap off your old TPMS sensors from your old wheels and put them in the new wheels.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 05:24 PM   #5
I335
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '08 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sales@bavarianx View Post
You will get annoying error messages. You can just swap off your old TPMS sensors from your old wheels and put them in the new wheels.
This is what I'd advise as well. And if you're a bit skilled and careful, you can even remove them without completely dismounting the tire from the rim so you can actually do it at home.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:39 PM   #6
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

The purpose of the TPMS is not to alert you to slow leaks that would/should be caught by your weekly checks. Rather, TPMS is intended to alert you before something turns into a catastrophic event.

I believe that the added safety is well worth the extra money - ask any Explorer driver whose truck rolled over. We'll, maybe not any of them since some of them didn't survive.

In a few years, TPMS will be as accepted as a fuel gauge or rearview mirrors.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 07:58 PM   #7
cb1111
I ask the questions you're afraid to ask.
Rep
Drives: 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by I335 View Post
This is what I'd advise as well. And if you're a bit skilled and careful, you can even remove them without completely dismounting the tire from the rim so you can actually do it at home.
That's very poor advice. There is a very high probability of injury trying to break the bead and remove a TPMS sensor on your kitchen table.

There is also a good chance that you'll end up damaging the sensor along with your body.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2010, 09:01 PM   #8
cb4
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335xi

Its no biggie. I don't have TPMS on my new wheels. You just get a message on the Idrive when the car starts and there is small amber icon that stays lit up on the instrument panel. Its not annoying.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:12 AM   #9
OriginalFake
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2023 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
Its no biggie. I don't have TPMS on my new wheels. You just get a message on the Idrive when the car starts and there is small amber icon that stays lit up on the instrument panel. Its not annoying.
Anyone without iDrive going without TPMS in their setup? I'd be fine with just the amber icon staying lit but if Check Control stays lit or cannot be hidden, that would get on my nerves.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 11:34 AM   #10
Bimmer This
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i

I drive without actual sensors in my aftemarket wheels. Dash light doesn't both me at all but that's just me.
Appreciate 0
      10-04-2010, 03:43 PM   #11
Mr. ///M3 RD
Happy Camper
Canada
Rep
Drives: C63 AMG & 280 SL on Weekends :

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by cb4 View Post
+1

I am told a TPMS may cost from $50 to $100 each ... $200- to $400- for the set.

I don't mind looking at a amber light for 4 months or so, besides my winter tires will not be RFT in fact soon my summer tires will no longer be RFT.

Whatever did we do before RFT

Soon there be a tire pressure check station every 100 miles or so for a fee you be able to check your tire pressure

Life will take us to some interesting places, fortunately The ///M3 will too with a many of us know this very well, now my C6.3 AMG with 487 HP does it too
---> Click here for some good stuff I found
Appreciate 0