E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Uneasy about taking car to dealer

02-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
chuckindivide
Rep
Drives: '07 335i / '02 540i / '00 Z3

Uneasy about taking car to dealer

I received an email from the dealer service department saying that I need to call to schedule service. I called and they said my car notified them that it was time for a "scope" and annual point inspection. My car is running great, getting excellent gas mileage, and I can see that there is plenty of brake pad life.

I have rarely had good experiences with any car dealer. I'm afraid that they will do something like upgrade the car's computer software or damage my vehicle. I had my previous BMW in for service one time and the dealer had a minor fender bender and had to replace the front bumper. I have read on this forum that some owners had their software upgraded and then their car was never the same. Kind of like some parents who take their young kid to the doctor for the MMR vaccination and then afterward report that their child was never the same. I just don't like people messing with my stuff, especially an auto mechanic who probably never bothered to finish high school.

I'm leaning towards canceling the appointment for the peace of mind.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:13 PM   #2
Gart
Private
Rep
Drives: 2012 E92

I like the way that you have stereotyped all mechanics into being high school dropouts. Most of them have ongoing education and a large output of their own money for specialized tools.

If that is the way you feel about dealerships and mechanics you are probably best not to go to the appointment. You could buy a repair manual and if you need to do a repair, you could do it yourself. Hopefully the manual was written by someone who completed high school.
Appreciate 0
      02-28-2010, 12:23 PM   #3
fdriller9
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '06 AW 330xi

Garage List
2006 330xi  [6.44]
If you're that afraid of visiting a dealer, that services cars like yours everyday, then buy yourself a manual (like the poster above stated) and a scan tool, like the BT. Any damage incurred at the dealer is covered by them anyway...you just have to inspect your car before leaving the lot. I know this doesn't always work and I know how frustrating it is when you bring something in to get it fixed and it also gets damaged but these forums are a small majority of BMW owners and the stories you hear are uncommon. They only seem common because people use these forums to vent to other people who will feel their pain.
Appreciate 0