E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Contact Info for BMW NA Executives?

09-02-2009, 09:25 PM   #1
///austin
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW ///M3 Coupe

Contact Info for BMW NA Executives?

Does anyone have any contact info for BMW NA executives? I am having an issue with my wife's 2008 328i convertible and the dealership is not handling it right and I called BMW NA Customer Service and their response was lame at best.

Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 09:26 PM   #2
Schmed
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E30M3, E70X5, F25X3

Are you a member of BMW CCA?

http://bmwcca.org/index.php?pageid=ombuds
      09-02-2009, 09:34 PM   #3
David9962000
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

What's the issue? And have you tried a different dealer?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:08 PM   #4
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Long story short:

Wife was almost at work this past Monday morning and got this error message:
Brake and drive control systems malfunction! Reduced braking and driving stability. Avoid hard braking. Driving stability! Drive moderately.

Then she got an error message about DSC malfunction.

Called the dealership and they said they might be able to get her in in a week! I protested, called the GM given how many automobiles our family has purchased from this dealer, and they picked up her car from her at work. We were upset given it was a brake/dsc related error message (not a minor thing).

They discovered a wheel bearing was bad (manufacturer defect) and about to go. Had we waited a week, as they said, that could have been very dangerous. My wife is expecting so she has to be in a safe vehicle.

Well, then, they drop off the car to my wife today. She made sure the error message wasn't on screen but she didn't think to check to see if the dealer had messed up other things with her car.

On her way home, she discovered she cannot get past the main screen on her nav/idrive. No radio, no nav, no system info, no nothing! Every time she did something the whole system froze and glitched. Which makes me wonder if the error message is really got since the info systems don't seem to be working.

So we dropped it off, but the bottom line is they brought our car back to us with stuff that was working BEFORE no longer working.

I called BMW customer relations and their response was "Well, since you've purchased so many cars from us we'll call the dealer on your behalf." Then the lady implied that it was good I had purchased so many vehicles, hint, hint, cause otherwise they wouldn't call. Really rubbed me the wrong way considering the bimmers I've owned - Neiman Marcus Z3, ///M Roadster (Z3), 2002 BMW Z8, 2006 M3 convertible, 2006 750i, 2008 M3, and my wife's car. So gracious that they would call the dealer on my behalf!

I am really unhappy with BMW.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:09 PM   #5
canrhea
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i

hmm try contacting a lawyer yet?
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:11 PM   #6
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

No, I hope that is not necessary.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2009, 10:21 PM   #7
David9962000
Captain
France
Rep
Drives: Bayerische Motoren Werke

Let us know what the dealer says, I'm curious to know what happen with the idrive when a dealer is replacing a wheel bearing.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 01:02 AM   #8
MuchMoore
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 335i

I would suggest trying another dealer, obviously this one doesn't value customer service.
      09-03-2009, 01:34 AM   #9
froalskiner
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///austin View Post
Long story short:

Wife was almost at work this past Monday morning and got this error message:
Brake and drive control systems malfunction! Reduced braking and driving stability. Avoid hard braking. Driving stability! Drive moderately.

Then she got an error message about DSC malfunction.

Called the dealership and they said they might be able to get her in in a week! I protested, called the GM given how many automobiles our family has purchased from this dealer, and they picked up her car from her at work. We were upset given it was a brake/dsc related error message (not a minor thing).

They discovered a wheel bearing was bad (manufacturer defect) and about to go. Had we waited a week, as they said, that could have been very dangerous. My wife is expecting so she has to be in a safe vehicle.

Well, then, they drop off the car to my wife today. She made sure the error message wasn't on screen but she didn't think to check to see if the dealer had messed up other things with her car.

On her way home, she discovered she cannot get past the main screen on her nav/idrive. No radio, no nav, no system info, no nothing! Every time she did something the whole system froze and glitched. Which makes me wonder if the error message is really got since the info systems don't seem to be working.

So we dropped it off, but the bottom line is they brought our car back to us with stuff that was working BEFORE no longer working.

I called BMW customer relations and their response was "Well, since you've purchased so many cars from us we'll call the dealer on your behalf." Then the lady implied that it was good I had purchased so many vehicles, hint, hint, cause otherwise they wouldn't call. Really rubbed me the wrong way considering the bimmers I've owned - Neiman Marcus Z3, ///M Roadster (Z3), 2002 BMW Z8, 2006 M3 convertible, 2006 750i, 2008 M3, and my wife's car. So gracious that they would call the dealer on my behalf!

I am really unhappy with BMW.
My guess is there was something wrong with the electrical system as well. Obviously a defective breaking system would be dangerous for anybody pregnant or non pregnant so thats pretty much a given. I have an appointment next week for mine. My issue was from last week and they didn't have a loaner to give me so I said I would wait a week until they had one available. This could be your issue as well...but I don't know for sure obviously.

Realistically it's uncommon for BMWNA or really ANY corporate office to liason between a customer and the dealer. Usually they stay out of issues between dealers and customers...so in a lot of ways you are lucky that they are doing this for you.

So as far as lawyering up goes...realistically what are your damages? Come on...

Are you just wanting to get the car fixed and the dealer isn't fast enough? Just trying to understand what the real issue is...sounds like they aren't fast enough for you and they jacked up the iDrive.

That being said, there are 3 BMW dealerships within 20 miles of me so it's less of an issue for me...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:28 AM   #10
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Re

My thinking is that when a customer calls with an issue related to brakes, DSC, or the engine, their response even if they have a full schedule, should be, let us see what we can do and we'll call you right back.

I just want them to fix it but I also want them now to fix whatever they messed up and to get it back to us totally working.

Then I am going to switch dealerships.

Someone else suggested a lawyer; don't think that is necessary at all. Just think it's necessary to push to get it taken care of correctly.

They got us in on the brakes, DSC, etc. Monday, because I complained to the general manager; someone in service just fumbled the ball because even though I had told them to check everything and make sure there were no error messages and everything was working, they brought it back to us with the iDrive and info systems hosed.

I just want it taken care of. When my wife dropped it off yesterday, the service manager went into his speech about "how technical it is" and how she wouldn't understand. She's a mechanical engineer who specializes in propulsion--bet if he explained she would have a better understanding than he does!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 08:54 AM   #11
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 Genesis Sedan Rspec

i guess she's heard the joke ...

What do you think you are a rocket scientist ???

probably a failed battery in the car. its been going around lately.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:33 AM   #12
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Re

Yes, she has. With her job, you make a mistake, someone could die. Engineering is a serious business.

I also thought of one thing the service director told her that is really disconcerting:

We had just had my wife’s car in for the 15,000 mile service a few weeks prior, and she asked if they check stuff out like the brake systems etc. when customers bring their cars in and he said “no;” he explained they do everything by computer. This is very disconcerting to me, because as a computer tech., I know computers are not reliable and I am really concerned now that when we get our BMWs serviced that they are not checking things over to look at anything that is seriously important like brakes, suspension etc.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:34 AM   #13
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Re

I am sending a certified letter to BMW NA today as well.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 09:57 AM   #14
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

I hear your concerns and echo your concerns, though you may be jumping the gun atm.

yes the computer system in the car is lacking And yes the techs wont touch the car unless the computer tells them its broken. Kinda funny if you tell them your car is shutting off driving on the highway in heavy traffic and they check the computer and find no errors... sorry "customer" everything is working as intended. I dont particularly like this mentality, it's just how things are going.

Remember we are relying on the crappy components to check the oil.
It is what it is.

ppp
Olds Starfire > Chevy Malibu > Isuzu I-mark RS & Honda Magna 500 > Grand Am GT & YSR50 > Nissan Maxima & Ninja 750 > X-Wife > Hyundai Excel > Honda Prelude > Honda Accord > Honda Prelude & Ninja 250> Infiniti G35 > E90 335i > Hyundai Genesis Rspec, Hyunadai Sonata > Kia Sorento > Honda CRV-EX
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:02 AM   #15
froalskiner
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///austin View Post
I just want it taken care of. When my wife dropped it off yesterday, the service manager went into his speech about "how technical it is" and how she wouldn't understand. She's a mechanical engineer who specializes in propulsion--bet if he explained she would have a better understanding than he does!
I think you hit the nail on the head...for this reason alone I would switch dealerships after they get everything fixed.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 10:13 AM   #16
BK
Smiling politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330i

Garage List
2006 330i  [9.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Potty_Pants View Post
I hear your concerns and echo your concerns, though you may be jumping the gun atm.
+1

Make a lot of noise, and you'll eventually get everything fixed. I suspect you will get the best results, however, by contacting senior people within the dealership rather than within BMW NA. When you do, be cognizant of becoming overly emotional. It seems like you're getting a little worked up, and you'll tend to do better sticking with facts rather than emotion. There are plenty of ways the dealership can help you out without too much trouble. The dealership may, for example, provide a loaner car until they can fix your car, which they failed to completely fix the first time around.

Also, you don't need a lawyer. You took your car for service, they failed to fix it. You'll take it back. This is not a dispute worthy of spending money on a lawyer.

Finally, try the iDrive reset yourself. Press and hold the DVD eject, CD eject, and radio power/mute button at the same time. iDrive will reset. Perhaps that alone will fix her iDrive lock-up problem?
      09-03-2009, 11:06 AM   #17
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Re

Guys,

Thank you for the helpful comments. I sent a restrained e-mail detailing what needs to take place to the dealer's owner and BMW GM.

I also mailed a restrained, unemotional certified letter to BMW NA this evening.

Potty_pants--I think this is really concerning that they are not checking major system components when people bring their cars in for the normal services. BMW makes good cars, but hey, everyone makes mistakes. By simply doing a thorough inspection of these vehicles they could spot these things. I had a 2005 911 launch edition that dumped all of its coolant on the way home from the dealer new. Their tech checked it out and told me the lines hadn't been plugged all the way in or something and he literally said, "Hans, must have had too many beers at lunch that day." It's funny but there's a point behind it. No matter how much quality control a company does, things do slip through the cracks. And as customers put mileage on their new vehicles and dealers just do oil changes and say "Well, the computer says everything is okay so everything must be okay," I think that opens the door to potential issues.

The dealership now has the vehicle so I cannot try the iDrive reset myself--wish I would have known about that.

I am just peeved because of how many cars I have purchased there and my father has. They were calling him this week about an X5 ///M. Sorry, it's not going to happen.

My wife does have a loaner so at least we have a vehicle.

And yes, you are all right, as soon as we have our car back and it is 100% fixed, I will never take it back there again.

I would rather pay for service and it be right, then get free service and it not be right.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 11:08 AM   #18
200Duece
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '73 2002,'18 X5 35d,'17 328d T

Sounds to me you have a "Dealer" problem not a BMW problem. You should take into consideration that the BMW customer service line gets calls similiar to yours a 100 times a day for things that may or may not have been as important to you as the others that called. I understand your concern for your wife but, the one dealership that you've had a problem with and the one person at NA on a complaint line shouldn't be the whole BMW story.

Sometimes working out the problem with the local dealer will get you farther in the long run. Running to NA right away will build a wall up with the dealer that you have got all your cars from. Keep working with the service GM. Be nice. the nicer you are the nicer they will be.

And just on a side note: Most BMW families, husband-wife, will own 6-8 cars in a 10 year period. That's kinda how leasing works.

1988 E28 535is Euro Conversion --- sold
2009 E90 335 6MT --- sold
2003 E39 540iT Msport --- sold
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 11:53 AM   #19
F32Fleet
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 435i

The few times I've had a problem I've always said to the Service Manager "Hey, I want to give you guys all 5's instead of all 3's, so what time tomorrow would you like me to drop off the car and pick up a loaner?"
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 11:56 AM   #20
Potty_Pants
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 200Duece View Post

And just on a side note: Most BMW families, husband-wife, will own 6-8 cars in a 10 year period. That's kinda how leasing works.
guess I'm not most

1st and last bmw. no way in hell am i buying the wife a bmw.

ppp
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 12:04 PM   #21
froalskiner
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Socom View Post
The few times I've had a problem I've always said to the Service Manager "Hey, I want to give you guys all 5's instead of all 3's, so what time tomorrow would you like me to drop off the car and pick up a loaner?"
+1

Being nice and direct is a great way to go about things with dealers....ANY dealer...not just BMW. Compensation is attached to service scores. If your a jerk they'll treat you like customer #41123...if you're friendly, they'll do what they can to make you happy...my experience at least...

Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2009, 02:18 PM   #22
///austin
Private First Class
Rep

Normally, that's the case. Something has gone seriously wrong with this dealership.

I have called today to ask about the status call on the vehicle--no return call, no nothing.

A BMW exec from New Jersey just called to ask me if my dealer had contacted me to update me on the status of my car and I had to be honest and say, "No, no one has called me to give me any kind of update."
Appreciate 0