E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Low Oil Pressue Warning + Stiff Brake Pedal

01-30-2024, 02:08 AM   #1
E90bro3
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i Multiple

Low Oil Pressue Warning + Stiff Brake Pedal

Hi all,

Recently, I was driving to work (at low speeds on the freeway) and went to hit the brakes and the pedal would barely budge. I thought my hydroflask rolled under it at first. I tried to then pump the brakes and that didn't really help.

I made it off the freeway to check the brake fluid and it seemed to be within normal range. Moments later I got a red oil light on the instrument cluster and the engine started to make strange noises. I shut down the engine and had it towed home.

Thus far I've tried replacing the oil pressure switch and then drained the oil and replaced with new fluids to ensure an adequate level. Does anyone have any insight on this? I have not experienced this with any of my other E90s. Serpentine belt is intact and not frayed. Only had inlet and outlet VANOS codes. Both solenoids have since been replaced.

Vehicle is a 2009 328i xDrive N51
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 08:02 AM   #2
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Check your brake booster hoses leading from the vacuum pump to the booster. Mine was severely cracked and leaking air.

The section of hose by the brake booster is very hard to get to. With small hands, you can unscrew the abs pump and give yourself a tiny bit more room.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 01-30-2024 at 08:18 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-30-2024, 11:03 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90bro3 View Post
... went to hit the brakes and the pedal would barely budge... Moments later I got a red oil light on the instrument cluster and the engine started to make strange noises. I shut down the engine and had it towed home... Only had inlet and outlet VANOS codes...Vehicle is a 2009 328i xDrive N51
Since the Vacuum Pump and Oil Pump are BOTH driven off the same Chain Assembly, your description of events is rather alarming. I would seek the advice of a trusted Shop specializing in BMW/ E9x models, or even the N51 engine. Odds are this is NOT an "electrical problem" or "hose problem".
George
Appreciate 0