E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > car is in limp mode with no faults

10-29-2023, 02:53 PM   #1
Scoobthen00b
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 328i N51

car is in limp mode with no faults

was getting a code for 2DEB, the code has not come back after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. but my car is in limp mode and will not accelrate past 2k rpms, rough idle, alot of white smoke from exhaust, doesnt smell to me. i do have a hole in my cats that need to be patch welded. im using bimmerlink to check sensors and live data can anyone see if the data here is wrong or anything looks out of ordinary, my oil cap is not milky or watery.

Name:  Screenshot_20231029-115455.jpg
Views: 195
Size:  72.6 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20231029-115452.jpg
Views: 155
Size:  64.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20231029-115512.jpg
Views: 169
Size:  64.4 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20231029-115506.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  74.7 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20231029-115458.jpg
Views: 141
Size:  65.5 KB

Name:  Screenshot_20231029-115510.jpg
Views: 139
Size:  73.1 KB
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2023, 07:23 PM   #2
unicornsareus
Rep
Drives: 2008 328xi sedan, 2008 X3

Is your water pump running?

Does your live data show RPMs for the water pump itself?

Also - judging from researching that fault code - How good of shape is your battery in? It could be a bad battery issue.

Last edited by unicornsareus; 10-29-2023 at 07:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
      10-30-2023, 08:46 AM   #3
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi E91

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobthen00b View Post
was getting a code for 2DEB, the code has not come back after disconnecting the battery and reconnecting. but my car is in limp mode and will not accelerate past 2k rpms, rough idle, alot of white smoke from exhaust...
2DEB Fault Code means "Overvoltage" (voltage > 16V with engine running). It does NOT mean the battery is bad.
Here is BMW Fault Code Lookup definition of 2DEB, and link to Fault Info Sheet (see Fault Impact & Service Notes):
2DEB | DME: Power management, vehicle electrical system | msv80 | Engine electronics
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...UANQA1ADAANAA=

Often an "Overvoltage" event (Alternator Voltage Regulator fault causing excessive voltage output) is accompanied by multiple warning lights on the instrument cluster, due to K-CAN bus signals being "scrambled". WHAT warning lights are present on your Instrument Cluster when your N51 is in "Limp Mode"? If you have any "!" to right of mileage in lower instrument cluster display, use "Check Control" procedure to read CC-ID Code & report that here.

You can use Live Data from a Scan Tool, or "Hidden Menu 9.00" to display system Voltage on your Instrument Cluster as you drive:
https://www.carsaddiction.com/articl...er-hidden-menu

Do you have any Scan Tool or Diagnostic Software (INPA/ISTA) that can read Fault Codes in ALL (~ 20) Modules in your vehicle? If so, please attach a report of what modules are read, and what fault codes are saved in fault memory.

I don't see any MAF Sensor signal (Air Mass flow rate in kg/hr) for air passing the MAF Sensor. That value (AND RPM at time of MAF rate) is essential for diagnosis of any fueling issue. Also, EKPS data (Fuel Pump Module), such as Voltage, Current & Pump RPM would be helpful, and an indication of whether or not you can "Activate" the pump. Failing that, do you have a pressure gauge to attach to the Fuel Rail Schrader valve?

I'm NOT familiar with your Bimmerlink, but some of the values have NO units assigned (like "Generator electricity"), and the bottom row on your photos/screens CANNOT be read, so we may be missing something. I would assume that ALL the photos/ screens show DME Data? If so, the "35%" PWM Fuel Pump value is the signal DME is sending to EKPS, and NOT reflective of ACTUAL Pump control by EKPS.
George
Appreciate 2
      10-30-2023, 06:45 PM   #4
Scoobthen00b
Registered
Rep

First of all thank you guys so much for the replies!

I'm working on getting setup on INPA/ISTA, i just learned about the program a few days ago. I'm a complete newbie to the BMW family and have been learning as i go, so my apologies if I'm not up to par. I also just ordered a new Voltage Regulator (180 AMP) from FCPEuro (Part # 12317561939 ).

I've been replacing things and just giving the car TLC, i do believe the previous owner did not take care of it. No codes when i purchased the car, replaced the VGC, Radiator with EAC sensor, hoses, trailing arms, changed oil (mann filter with liquimoly LL01 ) & coolant change.

have the transmission service fluid kit also planning on changing that fluid along with spark plugs, ignition coils, intake boot system ( just to get everything updated )

Apologies just wanted to give a decent background of what been worked on and has not been worked on yet.

So when i first changed the coolant, i could hear the water pump during the bleed process from inside the car. Its gotten very weak / failing so i do know this needs to be changed but as of now still flows coolant, have to be close to front of engine to hear it.

the volts sit in the 11ish range and once i start the car goes up to 14 close to 15 sometimes. battery is also catching a charge again and disconnecting and reconnecting.

Check control, gives me a window image because i have a regulator out, waiting for usps to drop that anyday also. but "Check OK" and i do have the Triangle w/ exclamation on the instrument cluster.

2DEB code did not come back after reconnecting battery and clearing, also running the car to AutoZone to use that scanner because the bimmerlink is with the phone. and then i starting getting { P00BC } Mass Air Flow (MAF) “A” Circuit Range / Performance – Air Flow Too Low. ( Did not get 2AA8 on the autozone scanner )

and that was it... reran codes with the bimmerlink app and still no 2DEB code, just a Mass air flow (2d06) and a (2AA8) Variable intake system actuator: control.

I really need to get INPA/ISTA, to find out what's really going on. sorry for the long story but thats the background since my car hit limp mode, Also the limp mode seems to have cleared, was able to get the car over 2k rpms, just really hitting low power on accelerate, and it stutters when i release the gas pedal.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 09:57 PM   #5
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... reran codes with the bimmerlink app and still no 2DEB code, just a Mass air flow (2d06) and a (2AA8) Variable intake system actuator: control... was able to get the car over 2k rpms, just really hitting low power on accelerate, and it stutters when i release the gas pedal.
2D06 code can mean either MAF Flow Rate (1) Too Low (P1415), or (2) Too High (P1424). The BEST way to determine WHICH definition or P-code applies to your 2D06 Fault is to view LIVE DATA of the MAF Rate (in kg/hr units) and also record the RPM idle speed at which the MAF rate was measured. Report those two values: (1) MAF rate, & (2) RPM, and we can tell you if rate is LOW, and if so, what to check.

2AA8 code means power supply to DISA Valves (on N51 engine) is Intermittent, or Missing. If you will provide LAST-7 Characters of your VIN, I will provide ISTA wiring diagram and test suggestions for that code. BOTH Valves (Small & Large) are supposed to change between idle, and WOT (wide open throttle). Your Bimmerlink shows those two Valves in your initial screen images, attachments #1 & #2. Both have value of 33%, presumably at idle (839 RPM). Here is link to Fault Info Sheet for 2AA8. See Service Notes at end:
https://bmwfault.codes/XMLDiagView?d...cAMgA5ADAANAA=
George
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:07 PM   #6
Scoobthen00b
Registered
Rep

3' E90 BMW 328i. Type Code: VC53

vin : FZ74480

Edit : the disa position does move when i press on the gas also. i will get a recording tonight at work for disa position and post back asap!( within bimmerlink )

Last edited by Scoobthen00b; 10-30-2023 at 10:10 PM.. Reason: Edit
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2023, 10:57 PM   #7
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
3' E90 BMW 328i. Type Code: VC53
vin : FZ74480
Edit : the disa position does move when i press on the gas also...
1) Need to see if Bimmerlink has MAF Rate Parameter in Live Data. Units are usually kg/hr, or perhaps grams/sec.
2) Need to see if Bimmerlink can "Activate" each of the two DISA Valves. At least you can view Live Data for both.

Attached is an ISTA ScreenPrint showing "Air Supply" SSP wiring diagram & Lines ID. What is IMMEDIATELY apparent:
The DISA Valves (Y6540 & Y6541) AND the MAF Sensor (B6207b) are powered by fuse F03 (in E-box), per attached Location diagram.
I would check F03 spades & sockets for any corrosion or damage, and also test Orange supply wire for loose connection.
A common fault, causing BOTH fault codes is likely IF the mileage at which the Freeze Frame Data shows BOTH faults occurring
is the SAME. See FF Data or Fault Details for mileage when fault occurred. INPA or ISTA provides that. Don't know about Bimmerlink.

If you would like other test suggestions, please ask.
George
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 07:29 PM   #8
Scoobthen00b
Registered
Rep

Sorry, i have been working overnights and just haven't had alot of time to get this program setup until next days off. but i did end up taking my car to and indy shop by my house and they did a smoke test and combustion test on the car. said they found the CCV is bad and needs to be replaced. my problem now is i can't seem to find the correct part on realoem, or FCP i guess its the ( oil separator ) but if anyone has any ideas on this part id be greatly appreciated! BMW has a recall on my car for the PCV heater valve, (retrofit harness). does it matter which order i get these fixed?

VIN for part

#WBAVC53517FZ74480
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2023, 09:13 PM   #9
gbalthrop
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
... indy shop by my house...did a smoke test and combustion test on the car. said they found the CCV is bad and needs to be replaced. [PCV (Positive Crankcase Vent) is in Plastic Valve Cover on 328i/xi, N52K/ N51 -- see attached RealOEM.com link. There is NO External Oil Separator.] my problem now is i can't seem to find the correct part on realoem, or FCP [try ANOTHER parts supplier]... VIN for part: #WBAVC53517FZ74480
Here is link to RealOEM.com Engine | Cylinder Head | Cylinder Head Cover, for YOUR 12/2006 build N51:
https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_3737

Notice that there is NO External Oil Separator which would be located below the rear of the intake manifold IF you had one. Here is search of "Valve Cover" for 2007 N51, AutoHaus parts supplier:
https://www.autohausaz.com/catalog?v...age=1&sortby=r

Does your N51 make whisling noise with engine at idle? Is Oil Filler Cap difficult/ impossible to open with engine running? Are you SURE there is NOT a leak in the "Vent Hose", #14 in RealOEM diagram, or where it attaches to VC or manifold?

If you want to change VC yourself, there are MANY Threads on that procedure, as well as ISTA "REP" procedure. MAF Sensor input signal to DME (Live Data) would be most helpful diagnosis of issue, as described in prior post.
George
Appreciate 0