E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Really Hot coolant expansion tank

07-23-2023, 02:59 PM   #1
Makerveli
Registered
Rep
Drives: E93 320d

Really Hot coolant expansion tank

Hi

The other day I went to check on my coolant and whilst opening the cap of the expansion tank it felt not really tight like it had before. Anyway I went on to unscrew it and to my surprise it was bone dry. God knows how long it’s been empty for. I’ve never had any warnings come on the dash or anything. Anyway I went to fill it up with coolant and the floating stick is no longer present. I cannot see any leaks or anything in the engine bay

Since driving I’m getting a really hot coolant expansion tank and pipes when I went to check under the bonnet. At a touch it’s very hot! Are these supposed to be hot anyway??

I tried to check the coolant temperature through the hidden menu when using the VIN number but this feature doesn’t seem there when you select menu 7!

Also sometimes hot air will come through the vents of the blower when the temperature is low on 16 deg. Its ok when you turn on air conditioning but without that on the air is hot on the low temperature gauge

Am I supposed to be worried with my findings? Should I replace the expansion tank and do a full coolant flush?

Last edited by Makerveli; 07-23-2023 at 03:08 PM..
Appreciate 0