THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum feels like brakes are engaged while driving

04-20-2023, 07:42 PM   #1
illmatic37
Rep
Drives: m235i, 330ci, 635csi

feels like brakes are engaged while driving

2014 m235i 6MT with bootmod3 OTS stage 2, 45,xxx miles

When I was driving today it felt like the brakes were engaged without me pressing the pedal. I first noticed that when I was shifting gears the gear changes were not smooth. I realized that I was not getting smooth gear changes because when i was in between gears, the car was decelerating. This occurred at speeds less than 40 mph (1st through 3rd gears), about a half mile after i started driving. (I live about 2 miles/5 minutes from my work)

When I got to my street it really felt like the brakes were engaged, i had to give it way more throttle to just to make it over a slight bump at the beginning of my drive way. I had the car in neutral and i was not able to push it forwards or backwards. I felt all the calipers but they were not warm or hot.

There were no error messages or warning messages in the idrive, no lights came on in the dash cluster. I restarted the car and put the handbrake up and down a few times and i was able to push the car in forwards while it was in neutral. The car drove normally on my way back to the office.

Has anyone experienced this or heard of anything similar? Not sure if its related, but a while ago I noticed that the brakes will stay engaged for about a second after i take my foot off the pedal. The brake lights are also illuminated during this time as well (the 1 second when my foot is off the pedal but the brakes are still engaged). I first noticed this while stopped at red light that was on an uphill. I assumed that this was some kind of safety feature BMW incorporated so people wouldn't roll back into another car but i've never read/seen anything to confirm this assumption.

Anyways, sorry for the lengthy post but any thoughts or insight would be appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2023, 08:08 PM   #2
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

It's possible a caliper is partially seized or a rotor is warped. I've had similar this past winter and it turned out to be a warped rotor. I felt pulsing in the brake pedal at low speeds though, I don't think you mentioned that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by illmatic37 View Post
Has anyone experienced this or heard of anything similar? Not sure if its related, but a while ago I noticed that the brakes will stay engaged for about a second after i take my foot off the pedal. The brake lights are also illuminated during this time as well (the 1 second when my foot is off the pedal but the brakes are still engaged). I first noticed this while stopped at red light that was on an uphill. I assumed that this was some kind of safety feature BMW incorporated so people wouldn't roll back into another car but i've never read/seen anything to confirm this assumption.
These cars do have hill assist, more noticeable with manual transmissions.
Appreciate 0