BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) 2 day old X1 Impressions

12-21-2022, 11:04 PM   #1
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

2 day old X1 Impressions

Picked up the vehicle yesterday, 12/20. Mineral white M Sport with premium pack.

Cons:
1. Noisy a/c at medium fan or higher.
2. Unable to permanently disable stop/start. Can configure a short cut.
3. Unable to permanently keep air recirculation to in cabin only.
4. My fault, rear seat leg and hip space is smaller than anticipated
5. M Sport suspension is a little harsh, but acceptable.
6. Slightly hesitation when stepping on gas from start. Could be because I'm being gentle with break in.
7. Vehicle doesn't auto detect me as the primary driver and I have to log into my bmw every time.
8. No rear compartment to store trunk liner.

Pros:
1. Love the interior and exterior design.
2. Love all the features from premium and m sport.
3. Able to barely fit two baby seats and a booster on back seats.
4. Auto parallel parking is amazing.
5. 360 camera is cool.
6. Being able to record 30 seconds before and after an accident/theft is neat. Can also take pictures.
7. Digital key, cell, or fob is awesome. Vehicle auto unlocks when approached and auto locks when leaving. Mirrors auto folds in or out as well.
8. My bmw app to view location of vehicle, tire pressure, and vehicle status is great.

Additional info:
1. Gas and breaks are sensitive. Maybe because vehicle is new.
2. Sometimes mirrors don't fold in.
3. Car doesn't unlock all doors with the fob sensor, maybe safety feature.
4. Would be nice if the door elbow bolsters? Were a little smaller. Would make it easier to fit the baby seats/booster.
5. HUD is as awesome as imagined.
6. The passenger mirror doesn't fold down when reversing. How to enable? Read the manual and the vehicle should have this feature?
7. Possible to adjust the dampers to a softer suspension set up?

Overall love the vehicle. Just minor gripes. Knew coming in the vehicle is compact. Was hoping it would fit the baby seats/booster comfortably.
Appreciate 2
ronime343.50
dejy58.50
      12-22-2022, 01:08 AM   #2
roxzilla
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 20i M Sports

Thanks for the review, Is M Sport suspension harsh even in comfort mode? How loud is the A/C Fan? Can you hear it over the audio system?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 01:38 AM   #3
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Passenger mirror should fold down if you have the mirror adjustment switch moved to the left (I think), and if you have the feature enabled in your settings, if my memory is correct.

You should be able to select between comfort and sport suspension settings in your custom tuning of each driving mode (sport, personal, etc), but other than that, that's it.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-22-2022, 01:47 AM   #4
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

Number 3 con is a safety feature to allow fresh air into the cabin. If you have multiple people in the car then you start breathing in carbon dioxide when air recirculating is activated. I believe most cars have a built-in time limit for air recirculation.

Number 6 con worries me a little. My guess is that this is a result of using a DCT transmission.

Number 7 con is a nuisance but should be fixable. Maybe your account hasn’t totally synced your car to the mothership yet.

As you said, minor gripes but it still puts a smile on your face.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 06:53 AM   #5
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
7. Vehicle doesn't auto detect me as the primary driver and I have to
This is fixable.

You have to go into the profiles, and then add a PIN and assign a key fob to it.

I ran into this issue when I deleted the digital key from my phone because it was draining battery life.
Quote:
This is in the door/lock settings. You can change it to all doors.
Quote:
6. The passenger mirror doesn't fold down when reversing. How to enable? Read the manual and the vehicle should have this feature?
Keep the mirror adjuster slide switch to the left and the passenger mirror will tilt down.
Appreciate 3
BMWZ41909.50
GuyOh1067.00
      12-22-2022, 07:22 AM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
My dealer reached out for me to set up a follow up appointment with their Genius. I'm making a similar list of issues (particularly things that I was able to do in my F30 3-Series but can't figure out now), and will schedule an appointment in a few weeks to walk thru all the features and settings.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:39 AM   #7
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

I could be wrong, but I thought BMW was going away from passenger sideview mirror angling down when in reverse. It's funny -- I always hated it when I was a client advisor and moving vehicles on the lot, but have come to enjoy it in real-world scenarios.

As tex said, you just have to assign a key fob to auto log in to your profile.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:52 AM   #8
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by igott View Post
I could be wrong, but I thought BMW was going away from passenger sideview mirror angling down when in reverse. It's funny -- I always hated it when I was a client advisor and moving vehicles on the lot, but have come to enjoy it in real-world scenarios.
Why on earth would they eliminate this feature? If anything, they should extend it to both mirrors tilting down.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 09:02 AM   #9
igott
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Why on earth would they eliminate this feature? If anything, they should extend it to both mirrors tilting down.
Not sure. Again, I could be making this up and confusing it with something else.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 10:48 AM   #10
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Thanks everyone.

I had the button set to the wrong mirror, the tilt down works, yay.

1. Vehicle came with hands free tail gate. Can open and close the trunk from key or kicking sensor.

2. Added a pin to bmw ID when the Bmw genius went over the vehicle with me. I'll fiddle with it later and find the add key fob feature.

3. All door lock/unlock works with the key, but not with the auto unlock sensor when approaching the vehicle, if that makes sense. There is an option to have the vehicle detect when you're near and the door will auto unlock.

4. A/c fan on medium or higher is loud and will drown the radio. Even on low it is a little noisy, but acceptable.

5. Zero road feedback to steering wheel. I guess this is completely electric steering? Sort of nice when I'm older, but prefer the old school belt driven p/s with full feedback.

More stuff:
1. As others have noted, interior cabin is quiet. Much better than the vehicle that was traded in.

2. The sport seats are great. Side bolsters protrude a little too high for my liking, making it a little more difficult to get into and out of the seat. Drove for an hour last night and my back didn't scream bloody murder (back isn't the best).

3. My kid last night kept saying how cool the car was, she's 5 years old. I told her she can have it in 11 years and she had a huge smile.

4. Is my modes the replacement to drive modes? Unfortunately there isn't any way to customize suspension settings etc?

Again, love the car. Wanted to nit pick everything so future owners know what to expect.
Appreciate 1
tex26702414.00
      12-22-2022, 11:02 AM   #11
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
3. All door lock/unlock works with the key, but not with the auto unlock sensor when approaching the vehicle, if that makes sense. There is an option to have the vehicle detect when you're near and the door will auto unlock.

4. Is my modes the replacement to drive modes? Unfortunately there isn't any way to customize suspension settings etc?

Again, love the car. Wanted to nit pick everything so future owners know what to expect.
There are settings for auto unlock when approaching, and also auto lock when walking away in the Doors/Locks app. Maybe you are using the other fob that wasn't programmed by the Genius? You have to go thru the procedure with both fobs, and from what I experienced, you need 2 separate BMW IDs (that was not the case in my F30 - you just programmed 2 separate profiles by name, "His/Hers" "John/Mary", etc, which could each be tied to a key; no My BMW login needed).

Suspension settings I think can only be customized in Sport Mode.
Appreciate 1
BMWZ41909.50
      12-22-2022, 11:06 AM   #12
igott
Private First Class
Rep

Yeah. Not a fan of the my modes replacement. Tinkering with it last night, I found that yes, only sport can allow for suspension changes. You also can't change interior lighting color in any mode other than whatever the default one is, unless there's a setting I've missed. Sport, Express, and I imagine Efficient(or whatever eco mode is), are locked to a specific color.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 11:28 AM   #13
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Yeah. Not a fan of the my modes replacement. Tinkering with it last night, I found that yes, only sport can allow for suspension changes. You also can't change interior lighting color in any mode other than whatever the default one is, unless there's a setting I've missed. Sport, Express, and I imagine Efficient(or whatever eco mode is), are locked to a specific color.
Correct. And other than Sport Mode, you can select which mode is the default at startup.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 06:22 PM   #14
Kromans1
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: Chevy Equinox --> BMW X1?

Quote:
Right that's been my experience too. At first I was annoyed, but it does make it easy to tell what mode you're in, should it have been a long time since you changed it and you're forgetful like me.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 06:24 PM   #15
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kromans1 View Post
Right that's been my experience too. At first I was annoyed, but it does make it easy to tell what mode you're in, should it have been a long time since you changed it and you're forgetful like me.
I can't really figure out the "Expressive" mode distinction, other than the ambient lighting and display changes.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:13 PM   #16
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Picked up the vehicle yesterday, 12/20. Mineral white M Sport with premium pack.

Cons:

For items 1, 2, 3 5 and 8, I can say the exact same thing for my last three cars/SUVs(Mercedes and lexus)...

I'm very interested in what you said in item 2 regarding a short cut. Have you found a workaround for it? My Mercedes and Lexus were the same way and reset the engine auto start/stop each time I restart the car. Wish it was as easy as my friend's Acura MDX... he just bought an override adapter and connected it($60, I think)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 09:20 PM   #17
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
For items 1, 2, 3 5 and 8, I can say the exact same thing for my last three cars/SUVs(Mercedes and lexus)...

I'm very interested in what you said in item 2 regarding a short cut. Have you found a workaround for it? My Mercedes and Lexus were the same way and reset the engine auto start/stop each time I restart the car. Wish it was as easy as my friend's Acura MDX... he just bought an override adapter and connected it($60, I think)
It's weird because my F30 remembered the last stop/start setting. The '12s and '13s didn't have this, and had to be coded; but BMW changed it in the '14. Wonder why they reverted to disabling every start up?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 09:20 PM   #18
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:

Cons:
6. Slightly hesitation when stepping on gas from start. Could be because I'm being gentle with break in.
7. Vehicle doesn't auto detect me as the primary driver and I have to log into my bmw every time.

Pros:
1. Love the interior and exterior design.
2. Love all the features from premium and m sport.
3. Able to barely fit two baby seats and a booster on back seats.
4. Auto parallel parking is amazing.
5. 360 camera is cool.
6. Being able to record 30 seconds before and after an accident/theft is neat. Can also take pictures.
7. Digital key, cell, or fob is awesome. Vehicle auto unlocks when approached and auto locks when leaving. Mirrors auto folds in or out as well.
8. My bmw app to view location of vehicle, tire pressure, and vehicle status is great.

Additional info:
1. Gas and breaks are sensitive. Maybe because vehicle is new.
2. Sometimes mirrors don't fold in.
4. Would be nice if the door elbow bolsters? Were a little smaller. Would make it easier to fit the baby seats/booster.
5. HUD is as awesome as imagined.
7. Possible to adjust the dampers to a softer suspension set up?

Overall love the vehicle. Just minor gripes. Knew coming in the vehicle is compact. Was hoping it would fit the baby seats/booster comfortably.
Very exciting. I hope to have a comparable response soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 10:46 AM   #19
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
Correct. And other than Sport Mode, you can select which mode is the default at startup.
About time. My wife insists on driving everywhere in Eco-Pro mode. I have coded her 118i to start up in Eco-Pro mode. When I tried this on her 320i it all turned to sh*t and I had to reset to the factory coding.
      12-23-2022, 11:23 AM   #20
bmwforme
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3 M40i

Quote:
I personally disliked it and disabled it via BimmerCode

I back out of a long narrow driveway between two houses and the feature was a killer

If I need to see a curb when parking, I'll manually tilt it down
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 11:49 AM   #21
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmwforme View Post
I personally disliked it and disabled it via BimmerCode

I back out of a long narrow driveway between two houses and the feature was a killer

If I need to see a curb when parking, I'll manually tilt it down
Well that's exactly what the slide of the switch is for - turn it off when you don't need it, turn it on when you do.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2022, 07:20 AM   #22
kadettje306
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 2023

Picked mine up 12/19 and similar experience.

Responses to the posted cons:
Cons:
-> Agree, have mine set to low and anything higher is noisy
-> Agree, I was told you cannot disable this as it would change the posted fuel economy so they have to keep it turned on. It causes a slight delay when starting. There may be a hack in the software at a future point.
-> not a concern for me
-> I’ve found the rear space acceptable. For a small SUV it’s pretty good
-> can be changed in the mode settings
-> agreed with auto start/stop
-> link your digital key to your bmw ID with a PIN
-> not an issue for me

As a con, I would add that I was surprised my fully loaded X1 did not have adaptive cruise control. My cheap Mazda had it. I hope I can add it with a software update otherwise this is a major bummer for me.

As pro:
- Beautiful exterior design. For a small SUV it actually looks pretty big
LED lighting, mood lighting, fantastic interior design touches all around
- Digital key through my Apple Watch is awesome
- All the remote features from the bmw app
- unlimited Spotify streaming over bmw connected drive, no phone needed
- the huge display is beautiful and looks very high tech
- I never use build in navigation and instead use apple or Google maps over CarPlay, but the build in navigation is actually really good. I may start using it more
- hello bmw voice control works great, can also use Siri and Amazon Alexa. Pick your poison
Appreciate 1
dejy58.50