BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) My X1 Experience

12-21-2022, 09:36 PM   #1
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

My X1 Experience

I've yet to pickup my X1 but anticipate doing so on Friday and since you guys have been my buddies all along the way I plan to post some of my highlights, low points and weird thoughts during my time of ownership.

I don't plan to own this car for a long time, I plan to own it for a good time and this time next year (or earlier) I'll upgrade (m35i??).

I'll have some fun with it and post along the way.

Timeline and Specs can be found here -

https://u11.bimmerpost.com/forums/sh...3#post29469233
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2022, 09:39 PM   #2
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Arrived at the dealership today...

The car was not ready for primetime and neither were the staff at BMW Of Southpoint Durham. I could have finalized my loan today but they weren't able to get around to sending my bank the paperwork they needed. It was packed in there, maybe people really do buy people cars for Christmas? (I want a bow on this thing either way.)

In any case, if I want to take ownership of the X1 before Christmas (they're closed on Saturday), I'll need all the paperwork completed tomorrow... so, I can pickup the car on Friday.

The suspense is killing me...
Attached Images

Last edited by Fumus; 12-21-2022 at 09:45 PM..
Appreciate 1
nathanm4683.00
      12-21-2022, 11:07 PM   #3
roxzilla
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 20i M Sports

Looking great; why is there a Hole in your front bumper?
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 01:28 AM   #4
Paradocks
Private
Rep
Drives: Future BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxzilla View Post
Could that be the area where the tow hook is placed? It looks like a simple trim piece that should be easy to replace if it was lost during shipment.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 06:43 AM   #5
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roxzilla View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paradocks View Post
Could that be the area where the tow hook is placed? It looks like a simple trim piece that should be easy to replace if it was lost during shipment.
Yeah, I was alittle miffed when I saw that. But yeah, the car was literally dropped off the truck an hour before I snapped a few pics. I believe that was used to tow it or affix it to the transport.

It's not missing actually, it's just inside the bumper.

Last edited by Fumus; 12-22-2022 at 08:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:34 AM   #6
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

Did the dealership know you were coming in to finalize the paperwork??

Looks like it still needed to get PDI'd. We would almost never do paperwork till the vehicle has been through the PDI, in case there's an issue that isn't caught at first glance.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 03:05 PM   #7
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igott View Post
Did the dealership know you were coming in to finalize the paperwork??

Looks like it still needed to get PDI'd. We would almost never do paperwork till the vehicle has been through the PDI, in case there's an issue that isn't caught at first glance.
No, it wasn't ready and neither was my loan. I just finalized all of that this morning with the bank. That was me just riding by and getting a few quick snips of it whilst it was chillin' in the parking lot.

It just finished inspection this afternoon and yes, as expected the tow hatch in the front bumper was closed.

Pending the time of when my over night check arrives from NY, I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 03:07 PM   #8
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

What did your bank offer you? BMW FS should be beating almost everything at this point unless you go past 72 months.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 08:07 PM   #9
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
No, it wasn't ready and neither was my loan. I just finalized all of that this morning with the bank. That was me just riding by and getting a few quick snips of it whilst it was chillin' in the parking lot.

It just finished inspection this afternoon and yes, as expected the tow hatch in the front bumper was closed.

Pending the time of when my over night check arrives from NY, I'll be picking it up tomorrow.
my best friend's daughter bought a Tesla Model 3 earlier this year. It was an amazing buying experience.... all done online... .she said it was easier than the time that she ordered a new washing machine machine from Costco. It took less half an hour to complete the transaction online. Waited 2 months for delivery. When car was delivered to her driveway and she only had to sign a couple of documents that the delivery driver brought and FedEx'ed them back.. A couple of weeks later, she discovered a loose passenger seat bracket. Tesla arranged for their mechanic to go to her house and repair it.(she lived 70 miles from the nearest Tesla service center) The best part was that she didn't even have to be home... she just left the car in the driveway... somehow the Tesla mechanic had the ability to open the doors to complete the repair.

I guess BMW(or any other legacy automaker) can't do that because they can't cut ties with the middleman(dealers who need to make money)
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 09:06 PM   #10
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by igott View Post
What did your bank offer you? BMW FS should be beating almost everything at this point unless you go past 72 months.
They did and they didn't... I mean the win with going through BMW is the ease of pickup and not having to deal with a bank sending a check and all that stuff. I don't think they would be able to beat a credit union without the buyer shopping around.

I didn't like the process with them, they gave me a 7 something percent to start with. I felt like this was high, I said this to my Sales Rep and he said they could figure it out "at purchasing time".

I thought, ok, going through them will make things easier for me; I can just show up and get a car.

But as the time went by, the car took longer and longer, I thought, "I should shop around, and get the best rate". The whole figure it at purchase thing is more locking you into them as your only option.

I went to my NY credit union and got a 3.9 (for yes 72 months), with 3 months no payments and interest free and a 1/3 balloon payment at the end (making monthly payments really low).

I talked to my BMW sales rep and told him I was going elsewhere for lending and then he said they could match the rate.

My situation is a bit different because I'll probably pay the car off in March/April and the no interest/ no payment thing was big for me because of the timing. I do think there are repeat buyer bonus things and stuff they can give you for financing with them but give me a decent (not even best) deal up front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
my best friend's daughter bought a Tesla Model 3 earlier this year. It was an amazing buying experience.... all done online... .she said it was easier than the time that she ordered a new washing machine machine from Costco. It took less half an hour to complete the transaction online. Waited 2 months for delivery. When car was delivered to her driveway and she only had to sign a couple of documents that the delivery driver brought and FedEx'ed them back.. A couple of weeks later, she discovered a loose passenger seat bracket. Tesla arranged for their mechanic to go to her house and repair it.(she lived 70 miles from the nearest Tesla service center) The best part was that she didn't even have to be home... she just left the car in the driveway... somehow the Tesla mechanic had the ability to open the doors to complete the repair.

I guess BMW(or any other legacy automaker) can't do that because they can't cut ties with the middleman(dealers who need to make money)
Yeah, there's some truth to this and you're not wrong. I mean, having to deal with "the bros" at the dealership is annoying.

The BMW staff was helpful and even submitted my order before it was available in the configurator (see my timeline above). I was just peeved yesterday when I needed them to submit documents so I could get my whole bank situation locked down (and they didn't do it).

I think the main issue that I had was that I ordered a new car before it was in production, it was manufactured in a foreign company and I customized the heck out of it and did all the options. If everything goes well tomorrow, I'll be really happy with the experience overall.

Plus... my sales rep sent me this video today, what's not to love?

https://cfilm.app/UaisL8lWUd73
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #11
dejy
Private
Rep
Drives: Various

Garage List
2023 X1 U11  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...er-2022-11-03/

BMW are planning for the direct sales route, 2024 for the Mini's and then BMW in 2026 (if all goes well with the Mini's I assume).
Appreciate 0
      12-23-2022, 09:53 AM   #12
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

Quote:
Originally Posted by dejy View Post
https://www.reuters.com/business/aut...er-2022-11-03/

BMW are planning for the direct sales route, 2024 for the Mini's and then BMW in 2026 (if all goes well with the Mini's I assume).
YAY
Appreciate 1
dejy58.50
      12-23-2022, 10:59 PM   #13
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

So I took ownership today, it was kind of an up and down turn of events.

As of this morning, I didn't think I would have the car until Monday. My bank in NY had overnighted a check through Fedex (yesterday afternoon) and the mail got stuck in Memphis, TN because of an ice/snow storm that hit the area.

I realized around noonish, it was going to happen today. I started to think about it though, why couldn't I just use the BMW financing and then refi later (if I wanted to)? I was approved through them and they just didn't like my rate.

So, I called up my Sales Rep and said "Do you still have my loan application open and approved? Let's make a deal then, I can be right over".

BMW ended beating my bank's rate by .5% and most importantly put me in the car today. So honestly it was a great decision! Big ups to the boys at Southpoint BMW for making it happen in a quick pinch.

I showed up, signed the papers and was driving away with the car in about an hour and half.

Initial thoughts of the car:

GOOD

-- It's awesome, and most of the negative stuff I read about on the forum or externals I didn't find to be true.
-- The seats are great, comfortable, supportive and the sensatec
is soft.
-- I don't need a seperate controller for the iDrive the touch screen is easy and the navigation is, for the most part intuitive. It's nice to just be able to touch what I want and not fumble around for it.
-- The sound system sounds great! I don't have any issue with
premium sound it's punchy, accurate and I haven't even
messed with the EQ yet.
-- It's fun to drive and peppy, the handling and ride I didn't find
to be too stiff at all (I haven't played with it either).
-- So much tech in here, it's going to take me a few weeks to
get familiar with the functions on my app and all the features
on board.

BAD

-- Mirrors don't fold in when locked
-- When switching drive themes on the touch screen it can get
pretty laggy (I thought I crashed it at one point)
-- I'm unable to adjust the height/ position of the HUD projection
-- The telescopic steering wheel isn't electric.
Attached Images

Appreciate 7
tex26702414.00
dejy58.50
LimiX4m40152.50
bmwforme257.00
nathanm4683.00
      12-24-2022, 12:15 AM   #14
huma
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: U11 one day

Congrats.

The mirrors can fold in when locked, forgot the setting.

The hud can be adjusted from the display option in settings
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 01:33 AM   #15
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Congrats! Looks great!
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 07:31 AM   #16
TristarL10
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 330i Msport

Garage List
2020 BMW  [8.75]
Nice! 👍🏽
      12-24-2022, 10:06 AM   #17
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
So I took ownership today, it was kind of an up and down turn of events.

As of this morning, I didn't think I would have the car until Monday. My bank in NY had overnighted a check through Fedex (yesterday afternoon) and the mail got stuck in Memphis, TN because of an ice/snow storm that hit the area.

I realized around noonish, it was going to happen today. I started to think about it though, why couldn't I just use the BMW financing and then refi later (if I wanted to)? I was approved through them and they just didn't like my rate.

So, I called up my Sales Rep and said "Do you still have my loan application open and approved? Let's make a deal then, I can be right over".

BMW ended beating my bank's rate by .5% and most importantly put me in the car today. So honestly it was a great decision! Big ups to the boys at Southpoint BMW for making it happen in a quick pinch.

I showed up, signed the papers and was driving away with the car in about an hour and half.

Initial thoughts of the car:

GOOD

-- It's awesome, and most of the negative stuff I read about on the forum or externals I didn't find to be true.
-- The seats are great, comfortable, supportive and the sensatec
is soft.
-- I don't need a seperate controller for the iDrive the touch screen is easy and the navigation is, for the most part intuitive. It's nice to just be able to touch what I want and not fumble around for it.
-- The sound system sounds great! I don't have any issue with
premium sound it's punchy, accurate and I haven't even
messed with the EQ yet.
-- It's fun to drive and peppy, the handling and ride I didn't find
to be too stiff at all (I haven't played with it either).
-- So much tech in here, it's going to take me a few weeks to
get familiar with the functions on my app and all the features
on board.

BAD

-- Mirrors don't fold in when locked
-- When switching drive themes on the touch screen it can get
pretty laggy (I thought I crashed it at one point)
-- I'm unable to adjust the height/ position of the HUD projection
-- The telescopic steering wheel isn't electric.
Looks great! Your Digital Key card is way cooler than the non-MSport.

Mirrors can definitely be set to fold when locked. It's in Doors/Locks settings. In the same place where you can set whether you want the car auto locked/unlocked when you walk away, or if unlocking is of all doors or just driver door.

Play around with all the menus in the apps; you'll definitely find it.

I'm getting used to the touch screen, but I do miss the iDrive controller, mostly for the shortcut buttons around the knob. It was just so easy in my car to navigate by feel with the iDrive controls.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 10:46 AM   #18
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
Looks great! Your Digital Key card is way cooler than the non-MSport.

Mirrors can definitely be set to fold when locked. It's in Doors/Locks settings. In the same place where you can set whether you want the car auto locked/unlocked when you walk away, or if unlocking is of all doors or just driver door.

Play around with all the menus in the apps; you'll definitely find it.

I'm getting used to the touch screen, but I do miss the iDrive controller, mostly for the shortcut buttons around the knob. It was just so easy in my car to navigate by feel with the iDrive controls.
Quote:
Originally Posted by huma View Post
Congrats.

The mirrors can fold in when locked, forgot the setting.

The hud can be adjusted from the display option in settings
Ahh thanks my dudes! Yeah, I'll play around and find that stuff. The way the mirrors looked I didn't think they could fold in but that is a pleasant surprise. As for the HUD yeah, that's awesome... it just a little low for me by default.

Have you guys played with the drive recording or external recording stuff? It looks like it's just still photos.

What about the backup assist will that avoid obstacles?

Also, the eSIM doesn't seem compatible is that right?
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2022, 11:48 AM   #19
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Ahh thanks my dudes! Yeah, I'll play around and find that stuff. The way the mirrors looked I didn't think they could fold in but that is a pleasant surprise. As for the HUD yeah, that's awesome... it just a little low for me by default.

Have you guys played with the drive recording or external recording stuff? It looks like it's just still photos.

What about the backup assist will that avoid obstacles?

I only have the Convenience Pkg, so I don't have the drive recorder. I've tried the parking assistant a couple of times backing out of spaces ... I just freaked my wife out using it today. I haven't been brave enough to try pulling into a spot yet, and I haven't been anywhere with parallel spots yet.

I don't know about the eSIM but I have encountered a number of menus in all the settings where it is grayed out and says "Function Unavailable".
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2022, 11:51 PM   #20
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

awesome, looks really good.
love the headlight beam pattern, assuming that was low beam only.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 09:22 AM   #21
bcdx93
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 X1

Looks nice. Hope mine will look as cool as yours. I have the similar configuration except that both exterior and interior colors are black.
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2022, 08:23 PM   #22
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:

pretty sure that the eSIM is not available in the X1.. at least I wasn't able to find any mention of it anywher.

By the way, if it's not too much trouble, could you take pictures or videos showing the red rear turn signal in action?

Just wondering if they are as visible as the regular amber turn signals in German/Euro-spec X1s.(like the ones below)

Thanks!
Attached Images

Last edited by bluecrabby; 12-28-2022 at 08:33 PM..
Appreciate 0