BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) dealer has X1 in stock with everything I want except remote start and interior color

11-06-2022, 08:10 PM   #1
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

dealer has X1 in stock with everything I want except remote start and interior color

was looking at another dealer near me...(near is relative... my closest one is 2 hours away... this other one is 2 and half hours away)

Anyway, I just noticed that their new inventory page had a 2023 X1 showing up as in transit to dealer. It wasn't on their website when I checked on Thursday.

It has almost everything that I want: AWD, jet black, X-line, 20-inch wheels, premium package.

The only problem is that it doesn't have remote start and the interior is black(I want oyster... but can live with black just fine).

Can remote start be fitted or programmed by the BMW dealer?

I'm going to call that dealer tomorrow morning... if it's actually available, I may take it. Could this be a pre-ordered car that someone cancelled at last minute? If so, is there any downside to buying it? (other than missing the remote start that I want)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 11:04 PM   #2
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
Can remote start be fitted or programmed by the BMW dealer?
Not Likely

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
I'm going to call that dealer tomorrow morning... if it's actually available, I may take it. Could this be a pre-ordered car that someone cancelled at last minute? If so, is there any downside to buying it? (other than missing the remote start that I want)

Thanks!
In transit status could mean it's been ordered by a customer and is now on it's way to the dealer.

My local dealer's site will show vehicles "In Transit" once it leaves the factory. Those could be vehicles for their stock, or customer ordered vehicles.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2022, 11:26 PM   #3
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Not Likely

That's what I thought.... guess I'll just have to be patient and place an order with the exact options that I want.

can't do with remote engine start because I've gotten too used to it... every car/SUV that I've owned/leased since 1998 had remote engine start, all came with it, except a Toyota Camry many years ago, but Toyota made it a dealer-installed accessory and I had the dealer install it.(since it was a Toyota accessory, it was covered by the car's factory warranty)
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 12:03 AM   #4
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
This and other websites I've found says that Remote Start may be a possibility through the Connected Drive Store, though none of them are new enough to say whether the X1 specifically would be capable.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/09/22/y...e-in-your-bmw/

Edit: This official .pdf from BMW also suggests that most automatic 4 or 6 cylinder BMW's from 2019 up should be able to activate Remote Start in the Connected Drive store:

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...9110875273.pdf
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed

Last edited by FlashMonkey929; 11-07-2022 at 12:09 AM.. Reason: added a link
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 12:16 AM   #5
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
This and other websites I've found says that Remote Start may be a possibility through the Connected Drive Store, though none of them are new enough to say whether the X1 specifically would be capable.

https://www.bmwblog.com/2021/09/22/y...e-in-your-bmw/

Edit: This official .pdf from BMW also suggests that most automatic 4 or 6 cylinder BMW's from 2019 up should be able to activate Remote Start in the Connected Drive store:

https://www.bmwusa.com/content/dam/b...9110875273.pdf
that's sounds promising..... although I don't want to take that risk, unless some BMW engineer can assure me, in writing, that it can be done over the air after purchase of the 2023 X1.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 06:23 AM   #6
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
Quote:
Not Likely

In transit status could mean it's been ordered by a customer and is now on it's way to the dealer.

My local dealer's site will show vehicles "In Transit" once it leaves the factory. Those could be vehicles for their stock, or customer ordered vehicles.
"In Transit" doesn't need to mean it's been ordered by a customer. It could be ordered by the dealer as part of the dealer's allocation, but not sold to a customer. If the dealer is ethical, they shouldn't be listing cars ordered by other customers on their website -- my car is awaiting carrier assignment, and my dealer doesn't show it as part of their inventory at all.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 08:20 AM   #7
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
"In Transit" doesn't need to mean it's been ordered by a customer. It could be ordered by the dealer as part of the dealer's allocation, but not sold to a customer. If the dealer is ethical, they shouldn't be listing cars ordered by other customers on their website -- my car is awaiting carrier assignment, and my dealer doesn't show it as part of their inventory at all.
just called them and the X1 was indeed available for sale... it wasn't a customer's cancelled order. The vehicle was already at the dealership.

when I asked about the possibility of adding remote start after purchase, the salesman said no. However, he put me on hold and went to check with the service department. He came back and told me that they said "probably not and they couldn't guarantee it, especially not on a new X1 that they never worked on yet"....

They did have two other X1 available with remote start, but not in the colors that I wanted(white and cape york green)

Since I do use remote start frequently year-round, I guess I'll just have to wait.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 10:05 AM   #8
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tex2670 View Post
I never said it absolutely means it's been ordered by a customer. I said it "Could be" ordered by a customer.

Some dealers list all incoming inventory on their site, regardless of sold status. While some only list unsold inventory, or inventory that has been sitting a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 10:17 AM   #9
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I never said it absolutely means it's been ordered by a customer. I said it "Could be" ordered by a customer.

Some dealers list all incoming inventory on their site, regardless of sold status. While some only list unsold inventory, or inventory that has been sitting a while.
a couple of weeks ago, a Mercedes salesperson was telling about how they handled these.... their website has a different category under new inventory. It clearly states if the incoming car is sold, available, sale pending. The pending one was interesting.... she said that many people have pre-ordered their car and waited for over 6 to 8 months. Due to the economic situations in the past year, some of them end not being approved for financing by MBUSA's financing arm. Or worse... apparently a lot of outside lenders are no longer comfortable providing auto financing to full EVs... especially the Mercedes/BMW full EV vehicles costing $100k or more.(or have implemented much more stringent income and down payment requirements) She had seen at least 1/3 of her longtime 10+ year customer not being able to obtain new financing. So those cars go back into the inventory as available.

I made somewhat of a financial mistake at the beginning of this year when I was making an offer on a new-built house that I loved. In the heat of the moment, I(along with 4 or 5 other buyers) kept making higher and higher offers. At the end, I decided to make the offer more tempting, so I make my offer all-cash... 6 percent above the asking price. The seller was happy to accept it and the deal closed in just 5 days.(fastest allowed in my county) I kind of regret it... because now almost all of my cash is in this house.... which means I now will need to pay for my new car with financing, instead of cash.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 12:26 PM   #10
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

If I understand this correctly, by default, you already have remote start using your key.

The remote start option will give you ability to remote start using an app on your smart device and you can then change your climate settings etc. through the app. My Land Rover has this feature and I like it. But the key based remote start (std equipment) also works fine and I think the X1 will simply remember your last climate setting and use that.

Correct me if I am wrong please.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 12:28 PM   #11
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by saws View Post
If I understand this correctly, by default, you already have remote start using your key.

The remote start option will give you ability to remote start using an app on your smart device and you can then change your climate settings etc. through the app. My Land Rover has this feature and I like it. But the key based remote start (std equipment) also works fine and I think the X1 will simply remember your last climate setting and use that.

Correct me if I am wrong please.
According to the BMW site, for the X1 Remote engine start includes starting from the key. See below
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 02:14 PM   #12
igott
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2021 228i xDrive

FWIW, I can't imagine that remote start would be available on my iDrive 7 2021 BMW 228i through the Connected Drive store, and not be available on any ICE 2023 with iDrive 8.
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 04:08 PM   #13
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

I confirm it is available in the connected drive store on my new X1.
Appreciate 1
      11-07-2022, 04:53 PM   #14
Stealth658
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i xDrive 6MT, 2023 X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04S View Post
I confirm it is available in the connected drive store on my new X1.
Is there anything else there that's noteworthy?
Appreciate 0
      11-07-2022, 05:04 PM   #15
04S
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4 xDrive, X5 40i and U11 X1

In terms of the connected drive store for the X1 ? Not really - it has all the other stuff I am used to seeing in that store. I was surprised that steering wheel heating is not available as yet, but, coming into summer thats not going to be an issue for a while.
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 10:17 AM   #16
saws
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: Maserati Levante, LR Discovery

couple of questions:
1. if you order the self start when ordering new X1, you get the feature for life? (or for some stipulated time period like 3 years)
2. If you did NOT order your X1 with self start, you can still enable it using subscription? (what are the fees?)
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 02:53 PM   #17
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by saws View Post
couple of questions:
1. if you order the self start when ordering new X1, you get the feature for life? (or for some stipulated time period like 3 years)
2. If you did NOT order your X1 with self start, you can still enable it using subscription? (what are the fees?)
If you purchased it at the time of ordering, you have the feature for life, and it stays with the car even after you sell it. From what I understand, with the Connected Drive store you can purchase a subscription with monthly access, or you can just purchase it outright. What I'm not sure about is if purchased outright after the fact, is it tied to your BMW ID, or does it remain with the vehicle if you decide to sell it?
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      11-08-2022, 08:14 PM   #18
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlashMonkey929 View Post
If you purchased it at the time of ordering, you have the feature for life, and it stays with the car even after you sell it. From what I understand, with the Connected Drive store you can purchase a subscription with monthly access, or you can just purchase it outright. What I'm not sure about is if purchased outright after the fact, is it tied to your BMW ID, or does it remain with the vehicle if you decide to sell it?

that X1 was sold this morning... so I guess my original question is now moot...
Appreciate 0