BMW
X1 / X2
forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW X1 and X2 forums (U11/U10) General BMW X1 and X2 Discussion (U11 / U10) (2023+) Can someone explain to me what the M Sport package's suspension does on the X1?

11-02-2022, 03:26 PM   #1
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Can someone explain to me what the M Sport package's suspension does on the X1?

I'm a couple of hours away from the nearest BMW dealer, so I haven't had a chance to test drive the 2023 X1 yet.

I've done most of my research online. The only thing that I'm not really sure about is the M Sport package.

Does the suspension that comes with M Sport make the X1 have a firmer ride? I'm not sure if I want that, since I drive on bad road in DC and NYC quite frequently. On the other hand, I do enjoy going around curves/corners.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 04:43 PM   #2
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

I actually just got back from test driving the X1 I ordered with M Sport.

When you order M Sport, you get adaptive suspension. Meaning in Comfort, it’s really nice and smooth. In Sport, it’s a little more stiff but I wouldn’t say harsh at all. It’s enough to feel confident to have some fun in it.

Hope that helps!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 05:25 PM   #3
Fumus
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2023 X1 xDrive28i

Quote:
Originally Posted by vinny84 View Post

When you order M Sport, you get adaptive suspension. Meaning in Comfort, it’s really nice and smooth. In Sport, it’s a little more stiff but I wouldn’t say harsh at all. It’s enough to feel confident to have some fun in it.

Hope that helps!
That's a good summary! How was the rest of the test drive? Excited about the purchase?
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 06:33 PM   #4
thenew3
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2020 X7, 2016 X3, 2021 MME

Also the M sport suspension is about half inch lower than standard suspension. So if ground clearance is a concern, you may want to get the standard suspension which is available on the M sport package as well, at a discount of $500.
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 06:35 PM   #5
bluecrabby
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 BMW X1

Quote:

Hope that helps!
Does that mean if I order the plain vanilla X1 without M Sport, the suspension is just, well, standard and non-adjustable for comfort/sport?

I probably won't order the M Sport package because I don't want the blacked out trim pieces/grille. (but I do want sportier suspension... guess my only solution is to go aftermarket later on)

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      11-02-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
vinny84
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post
Quote:

Hope that helps!
Does that mean if I order the plain vanilla X1 without M Sport, the suspension is just, well, standard and non-adjustable for comfort/sport?

I probably won't order the M Sport package because I don't want the blacked out trim pieces/grille. (but I do want sportier suspension... guess my only solution is to go aftermarket later on)

Thanks!
Quote:
Originally Posted by thenew3 View Post
Also the M sport suspension is about half inch lower than standard suspension. So if ground clearance is a concern, you may want to get the standard suspension which is available on the M sport package as well, at a discount of $500.
Honestly, even with the M Sport suspension, the X1 sits pretty high. No need to worry about clearance issues.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fumus View Post
That's a good summary! How was the rest of the test drive? Excited about the purchase?
Thank you! I will be posting my test drive review here shortly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluecrabby View Post

Thanks!
Correct, if your order the X1 without M Sport, you will get the standard comfort suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2022, 02:55 AM   #7
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
If the adaptive suspension is anything like the one on my 2020 430i, then it also supposedly adapts the dampers on the fly to your driving style and speed, but honestly all I can tell is that it stiffens up the suspension a bit and controls rebound a lot better. It's a noticeable change, but in no way uncomfortable. Comfort mode I think is pretty much just the softest settings, but body roll and rebound is still decently controlled. I know that on my current car, sport mode also tightens up the steering feel and throttle response is near instant, vs. the slight delay in input in comfort. I drive in comfort mode 99% of the time, but switch to sport mode on tight on-ramps and in back roads when I want to have a little fun.

With the new X1, even in standard models *I think* you can still adjust the steering and throttle response in the menus, but won't be able to adjust the suspension.
2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:11 AM   #8
n13x1
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 U11

Hello all, new joiner and I recently ordered my BMW X1 sDrive2.0 X-Line. As it is on its way to production, I still have the opportunity to make modifications

I was considering adding the Adaptive M Suspension, but I do not want the M Sport steering wheel. I know this sound crazy, but let me explain.

The M Sport steering wheel is not available with the dual clutch transmission (configure.bmw site). So, I am faced with two options:

1. Automatic transmission with steering wheel shift (M Sport steering wheel)
or
2. Automatic dual-clutch transmission (standard steering wheel)

What do you think would be the best choice for me.

Should adaptive M suspension always come with M Sport steering wheel?

I would greatly appreciate your feedback and advice.
Appreciate 0
      02-13-2023, 11:50 AM   #9
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

As far as I can tell all the X1 models (except the iX1 EVs) have a dual clutch transmission. 8-speed torque converter is not an option.

Probably something lost in translation to Dutch on the BMW Netherlands website.
      02-13-2023, 11:56 AM   #10
tex2670
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '23 X1 28i xDrive

Garage List
MSport has paddle shifters; but the transmission is the same as base or xLine versions.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 03:26 AM   #11
FlashMonkey929
I Shoot People For Money
Rep
Drives: 2023 Portimao MSport X1

Garage List
2003 BMW 330i ZHP  [0.00]
2023 BMW X1  [10.00]
The BMW Canada site is a bit confusing, sounds like two different transmissions, but most likely still both DCT. But it does make you wonder if there are different transmissions available depending on the market.
Attached Images

2023 X1 Portimao, Msport, Premium
2003 330i Imola Red ZHP 6 Speed
Appreciate 1
tex26702414.00
      02-14-2023, 05:54 AM   #12
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: X1

it says as different in UK website as well. Does this mean anything?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 05:57 AM   #13
ronime
Captain
Rep
Drives: BMW X1 sDrive20i M Sport MHT

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazeforth23 View Post
it says as different in UK website as well. Does this mean anything?
Only that the xLine does not have shift paddles in the UK. They all have a 7-speed "DTC" (DCT?). The only real differentiation is the Integrated Starter Generator on hybrid models.
      02-14-2023, 08:28 AM   #14
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

I have the msport package with sport seats. I don’t know what the non-sport suspension feels like, but here’s my take on my limited time with the car:

1. If you don’t plan on driving the car hard in a sporty way, the sports suspension is pretty stiff and rough on my back. Regardless of which mode it’s in. I use it as a daily commute so prefer a relaxed drive to and from work, so I could use a softer ride.

2. Similar vein as above, but not having lumbar support on my sport seats is horrible for my back. It’s also (obviously) not as cushiony as the regular seats.

I didn’t have much of a choice when selecting the car as it was available on lot and I needed a car in a hurry. I def. like the msport exterior. But I would have gotten comfort seats and a softer suspension (if that’s what the non-sport suspension is like). But if you really want the sporty feel and plan on driving it fast & furious, go with the full sports package.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 10:45 AM   #15
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronime View Post
Only that the xLine does not have shift paddles in the UK. They all have a 7-speed "DTC" (DCT?). The only real differentiation is the Integrated Starter Generator on hybrid models.
Yeah, the website doesn't say otherwise. They could've easily said the same with paddle shifters
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 10:47 AM   #16
blazeforth23
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post
I have the msport package with sport seats. I don’t know what the non-sport suspension feels like, but here’s my take on my limited time with the car:

1. If you don’t plan on driving the car hard in a sporty way, the sports suspension is pretty stiff and rough on my back. Regardless of which mode it’s in. I use it as a daily commute so prefer a relaxed drive to and from work, so I could use a softer ride.

2. Similar vein as above, but not having lumbar support on my sport seats is horrible for my back. It’s also (obviously) not as cushiony as the regular seats.

I didn’t have much of a choice when selecting the car as it was available on lot and I needed a car in a hurry. I def. like the msport exterior. But I would have gotten comfort seats and a softer suspension (if that’s what the non-sport suspension is like). But if you really want the sporty feel and plan on driving it fast & furious, go with the full sports package.
This is where my confusion is when compared to xc40 or gla or q3. Some people say M sport suspension is a bit better compared to gla/q3/xc40 and xline normal suspension is more like floaty and feel like it don't have gri[ on the road.
Appreciate 0
      02-14-2023, 11:41 AM   #17
jihong
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 328xi

Quote:
This is where my confusion is when compared to xc40 or gla or q3. Some people say M sport suspension is a bit better compared to gla/q3/xc40 and xline normal suspension is more like floaty and feel like it don't have gri[ on the road.
I switched from the xc40 (which i loved but my lease was up). It’s definitely more sporty harder than the xc40. But the xc40 is great and does everything well. It’s definitely more of a comfort car than the x1.
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 07:47 AM   #18
n13x1
Rep

Quote:
Yeah, the website doesn't say otherwise. They could've easily said the same with paddle shifters
Indeed that's why I got confused and pre-ordered the normal steering wheel. But now I wanted to add the M suspensions for a better suspension though and don't know what to do.

Do you think that M suspensions are worth it? Do they must come with M steering wheel?
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2023, 07:51 AM   #19
n13x1
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jihong View Post

Nah I am not planning to drive hardly in sport mode, but I will use it for long distance road (2000KM holiday trips) and I wanted a comfy suspensions.

Indeed I was able to try it out and took the normal seat package with lumbar support just for that.
Appreciate 0