E90Post

Studio RSR

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Valvetronic Nightmare

09-22-2022, 09:48 AM   #1
billmo
Bill Mo
Rep
Drives: bmw 2007 328i

Valvetronic Nightmare

Hello all. Have previously posted on the many trials of replacing the valve cover gasket on my 2007 328i, stripped bolts, etc. After putting all back together, vehicle was running rough and stalling. Took the vehicle into a local BMW repair shop to have the VVT reset with a scan tool. They found the motor had damaged the teeth on the camshaft and the camshaft needed to be replaced along with the eccentric shaft sensor Has anyone done this repair? Have plenty of time but it may be beyond my DIY capabilities. Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 11:19 AM   #2
Suvorovo
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Broken e90 330xi 6MT

Never done this repair, but read/watched quite a bit on the job. Overall, I don't think it's that bad you just need n52 timing tools (theres a kit for $100 on amazon), a valve spring compression tool, not sure which one but also around $100, and a pin to lock the flywheel or some other kind of tool to prevent the engine from spinning.

It's fairly easy to get the engine to top dead center. There are QR code markings on both cams which indicate TDC for the engine. Make sure to turn the engine in the correct direction!

Also, there's a method for unscrewing the cam ledge to prevent the metal from warping. Make sure to replace any torque to yield bolts and you're golden. Invest in a quality torque wrench for the job.

Get a used camshaft and maybe replace the calm ledge as well for a lower mileage one + replace the cam ledge bearing with a teflon update. 2007-2009 are known to have bearing ledge issues depending on frequency of oil changes. If you have the time and space, you can totally take your time and do it slow.

Last edited by Suvorovo; 09-22-2022 at 04:05 PM..
Appreciate 2
e90yyc2426.50
Mike K322.00
      09-22-2022, 08:05 PM   #3
MorenoX3
Registered
Rep
Drives: 06 bmw 325i , 2011 bmw 535i

Hello everyone, I'm new to this forums and I need an advice.
I replaced the valve cover gasket of my daughter's 06/325i this is the third time I have done this job, but thi time after I finish and started up the car and run for like 8-10 minutes the car started shaking, I scanned it and give me a p0341 code, camshaft position sensor A 1, I replaced the sensor and the valvtronic motor and checked all the connectors and wires and everything looks fine.
Started up the car again and run for like 10-15 minutes real smooth and then started shaking again and give me the same code, I check the fuses clear the codes and swap the sensors and it keeps giving me the same code.
Any tips please I really appreciate
Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2022, 10:23 PM   #4
hassmaschine
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: "NBO" 330i

Quote:
Originally Posted by billmo View Post
Hello all. Have previously posted on the many trials of replacing the valve cover gasket on my 2007 328i, stripped bolts, etc. After putting all back together, vehicle was running rough and stalling. Took the vehicle into a local BMW repair shop to have the VVT reset with a scan tool. They found the motor had damaged the teeth on the camshaft and the camshaft needed to be replaced along with the eccentric shaft sensor Has anyone done this repair? Have plenty of time but it may be beyond my DIY capabilities. Thanks.
if you damaged the teeth and stripped the bolts, you didn't follow the removal instructions properly.

there's a hex key on the back of the VVT motor to release tension from the eccentric shaft so you can remove it without damage. If you just unbolt it, you risk releasing the tension suddenly and stripping the eccentric shaft or breaking the shaft off the drive motor itself.

you need a new eccentric shaft, unfortunately, which is probably not a small job for a typical DIY mechanic. You're probably better off swapping in a used head, or maybe even a whole motor, rather than attempting to repair what you've done so far.
Appreciate 0