BMW M3 and M4 - The Icons
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
home
G80 BMW M3 and M4 General Topics BMW M3 (G80), M4 (G82), CSL and 3.0 CSL General Forum

10-21-2021, 02:01 PM   #1
WHITEUNDERARM
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Advice needed!

So after placing my order for a G80x drive in early August, I received an allocation on the spot. My build week was 37, then delayed to week 40, then 44, & now indefinitely. My SA has informed me that the soonest I'll receive my car is March, if it goes into production relatively soon. That's a BIG IF!

Also, he informed me that if the build is pushed through by the factory in the next few weeks, there's a probability that certain options will be removed from the build. The possible options that will be removed are the carbon seats, laser lights, & Harmon Kardon.

Now I know there's nothing I can do about the current situation, but here's my dilemma: I've been offered a brand new G80x drive available immediately at the same dealer (cancelled customer car). This car is not in my color choice (this one is TR, my original build is Oxide), does not have the carbon seats, or the laser lights (as expected)…it also doesn't have the radar…but it has every other option I chose on my original build.

Color I don't have an issue with (I can wrap it if I hate it), carbon seats and radar I can forgo, but it's the laser lights that gets me! *

Should I wait on my original build and hopefully get my full spec maybe in March…or hop onto this one? Currently drive an F82 and not in any real rush.
      10-21-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
BEAR-AvHistory
2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convt
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Z4 M40i - 2022 M4C Convrt

Garage List
Would not pay $90,000 or so for something that had second choices, especially color, that I did not spec out. Would cancel the order & start over next summer to get all the equipment you want.

Thing that confuses me is did the dealer really have an allocation & did you check it out? Did they show you the allocation sheet? Reason I asked is I joined the waiting list as #3 for a convertible on July,20. #2 dropped out so my allocation number came up August 16.

The allocation sheet was specked to #2's choices. We changed them to mine & it was good to go.

I signed with a $1,000 deposit on August 24 & the car is now on the port dock as of October 20 awaiting shipping to the USA. ETA for delivery November 19th.

2022 M4C - 2020 Z4 M40i - 2023 FORD Expedition XLT Max 4X4 400BHP - 2009 V-Star - 1998 Ranger 4X4 5MT - 1965 Cobra (R) 5MT - 2023 Jeep Wrangler Sport S 6MT

Last edited by BEAR-AvHistory; 10-21-2021 at 02:24 PM..
Appreciate 2
Limegrntaln13560.50
      10-21-2021, 02:09 PM   #3
beachBmmr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2023 F90 M5 SG/AB

I have posted this elsewhere, but I dont believe things are going to improve.

https://jalopnik.com/the-car-shortag...rse-1847892481
      10-21-2021, 02:14 PM   #4
Zim_Zimma
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW M4

Hey there, I had the same problem but a little different (hahaha). I had an M440 on build color I wanted and options I wanted. Kept getting delayed like you. Found an M4 (an upgrade for sure) different color tanzanite blue instead of San Remo green, not full leather like I wanted and no laser lights. Laser lights are cool and look good but I don’t get the obsession by some on this forum. If you like the color I think the carbon seats and laser lights are non issue for me
It’s not worth waiting 9-12 months for. Just my 2 pennies. Hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 02:55 PM   #5
Gfit
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2023 X3M, 2024 X5M. Sold 2022

Life is short and 2020 showed us we never know what's around the corner so if it were me I would 100% get it.
Appreciate 1
mattburks750.50
      10-21-2021, 03:17 PM   #6
frankiebones
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Fire Orange G80 6MT

Here's the thing...it's probably NOT gonna be March. If you can accept that then wait. The lack of laser lights is a tough one bro, not gonna lie. I got my order in with my dealership in june on 2020, 3 months before it was unveiled. I was first on the list for a high volume dealer to get a manual. The car went into production in November and I still got delayed and didn't take delivery until June.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 04:16 PM   #7
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by WHITEUNDERARM View Post
So after placing my order for a G80x drive in early August, I received an allocation on the spot. My build week was 37, then delayed to week 40, then 44, & now indefinitely. My SA has informed me that the soonest I'll receive my car is March, if it goes into production relatively soon. That's a BIG IF!

Also, he informed me that if the build is pushed through by the factory in the next few weeks, there's a probability that certain options will be removed from the build. The possible options that will be removed are the carbon seats, laser lights, & Harmon Kardon.

Now I know there's nothing I can do about the current situation, but here's my dilemma: I've been offered a brand new G80x drive available immediately at the same dealer (cancelled customer car). This car is not in my color choice (this one is TR, my original build is Oxide), does not have the carbon seats, or the laser lights (as expected)…it also doesn't have the radar…but it has every other option I chose on my original build.

Color I don't have an issue with (I can wrap it if I hate it), carbon seats and radar I can forgo, but it's the laser lights that gets me! *

Should I wait on my original build and hopefully get my full spec maybe in March…or hop onto this one? Currently drive an F82 and not in any real rush.
What everyone said is true but it also sounds like your dealer is trying to sell you on the one already here by telling you that options missing on this one are not likely to show up on a custom build either. I wouldn't never get anything but what I exactly want. But then someone has to buy the other cars right? Depending on your priorities that could be you.
      10-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #8
mattburks
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT

Take the car! Tell them you want 1st right to your order when it drops. Trade in the TR next Summer when it drops... Wouldn't it suck extra if you opt to wait and they strip your spec anyway?
Appreciate 1
'Cane8653.00
      10-21-2021, 04:28 PM   #9
Ruyseart
Second Lieutenant
Spain
Rep
Drives: M4 G82 xDrive

I would NOT pick the cancelled customer car. So big colour difference, I think you may regret. Oxide is IMHO a classy option while TR is great but too flashy if you were looking for something discreet (if G8X can be).
If it is true you won't receive your car until march at least, I would wait until then, see how things are going by then and order with the exact build you wanted.
Limegrntaln13560.50
      10-21-2021, 06:40 PM   #10
kjx
///M ♥ Recycled Dinosaurs
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW M4, BMW X5 45e

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MSpain View Post
I would NOT pick the cancelled customer car. So big colour difference, I think you may regret. Oxide is IMHO a classy option while TR is great but too flashy if you were looking for something discreet (if G8X can be).
If it is true you won't receive your car until march at least, I would wait until then, see how things are going by then and order with the exact build you wanted.
If you're waiting till March to order, you'd be basically be getting the 2023 model year past July- August.
Limegrntaln13560.50
      10-21-2021, 07:10 PM   #11
meechy6ix0
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 22 M4 MT

It sounds like your SA is reaching.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2021, 07:13 PM   #12
Asindhidude
Private
Rep
Drives: G80 6MT. Brooklyn/Fiona

Wait. You have a cool car already, it's worth getting what you want
Appreciate 1
      10-21-2021, 07:55 PM   #13
Tyga11
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: M4 Comp

Is this seriously the reality of the situation right now? You have to wait 6 months to get your car and it may not even have the options you want?
Appreciate 1
Limegrntaln13560.50
      10-21-2021, 08:06 PM   #14
MachinesWithSouls
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2022 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 BMW M3  [10.00]
They certainly don't give you a discount for compromise, so while you'll be excited at first, sooner or later you'll walk out to it and say "yea but"

But, given the market for these things, and depending on the deal, take it AND keep your name on the list for a new one.

When that one comes in, throw the TR up on cars and bids, this one just sold for 88,500:

https://carsandbids.com/auctions/35J...etition-xdrive

You should at least break even on the TR. that way, you can drive it now, and get the one you really want.
      10-22-2021, 01:29 AM   #15
Salespunk
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: Slow

I have said it on other threads, but laser lights are worthless for most people. The regular LED high beams are very, very good and the laser lights don't engage unless your speed is over ~37 mph.

If it were me, I would grab the red AND keep the order slot. There are way more supply issues than what we are seeing in the news so it is doubtful supplies are going to get better soon. If things stay the same you should be close to breaking even selling the red car. If things go south with either better supply or the economy slows down dramatically you still have a great car.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 01:35 AM   #16
WHITEUNDERARM
Second Lieutenant
South Africa
Rep
Drives: 2022 X3 M40i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3 M40i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post
Would not pay $90,000 or so for something that had second choices, especially color, that I did not spec out. Would cancel the order & start over next summer to get all the equipment you want.

Thing that confuses me is did the dealer really have an allocation & did you check it out? Did they show you the allocation sheet? Reason I asked is I joined the waiting list as #3 for a convertible on July,20. #2 dropped out so my allocation number came up August 16.

The allocation sheet was specked to #2's choices. We changed them to mine & it was good to go.

I signed with a $1,000 deposit on August 24 & the car is now on the port dock as of October 20 awaiting shipping to the USA. ETA for delivery November 19th.
Sorry forgot to mention I'm in South Africa…our market is much smaller than the US, and therefore not prioritized when it comes to builds.

I definitely saw the allocation sheet and have a production number. It seems that at the moment BMW are holding back on options to smaller markets to accommodate the demand for the bigger markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Is this seriously the reality of the situation right now? You have to wait 6 months to get your car and it may not even have the options you want?
Well at least for us here in South Africa yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post
They certainly don't give you a discount for compromise, so while you'll be excited at first, sooner or later you'll walk out to it and say "yea but"

But, given the market for these things, and depending on the deal, take it AND keep your name on the list for a new one.

When that one comes in, throw the TR up on cars and bids, this one just sold for 88,500:

You should at least break even on the TR. that way, you can drive it now, and get the one you really want.
Starting price for the M3x drive (before options) in South Africa is approximately $130k. My ordered vehicle is coming in at $150k. Prices for cars are exorbitant in our country and therefore the used car market on expensive vehicles is not that strong.

My current car still looks the part, but the itch is real!
Attached Images

10-22-2021, 09:10 AM   #17
omaralt
Major
Rep
Drives: 22 M3

man tough spot. the laser lights is the least important issue (IMO). you'll barely notice any difference and completely forget about them 99% of the time as soon as you start the car

bigger issue is the seats. big difference between the seats and this is something you will remember every single time you get in the car.
2013 550i M sport Alpine White/Cinnamon (retired)
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 08:57 PM   #18
Bimmer TiM3
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW G80 M3 Competition

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEAR-AvHistory View Post

Sorry forgot to mention I'm in South Africa…our market is much smaller than the US, and therefore not prioritized when it comes to builds.

I definitely saw the allocation sheet and have a production number. It seems that at the moment BMW are holding back on options to smaller markets to accommodate the demand for the bigger markets.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyga11 View Post
Well at least for us here in South Africa yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MachinesWithSouls View Post

Starting price for the M3x drive (before options) in South Africa is approximately $130k. My ordered vehicle is coming in at $150k. Prices for cars are exorbitant in our country and therefore the used car market on expensive vehicles is not that strong.

My current car still looks the part, but the itch is real!
Current ride is stunning. No shame in that game, bro!
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:29 PM   #19
billings86er
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 G80 Comp Xdrive (sold).

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2023 (at port) G80x  [0.00]
Quote:

I am build week 44 as well, am I in the same boat here? I have laser lights on build?
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2021, 11:48 PM   #20
Forzanerazzurri
Banned
Rep
Drives: E46 M3 Coupe/G80 M3CX

Garage List
Those option deletions are deal breakers. Why not just wait and get the car your want? You're paying alot of money here.

On a side note how are people getting replacement headlights if they get into an accident?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 04:31 AM   #21
JMU_BMW
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: Skyscraper Grey M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by billings86er View Post
Quote:

I am build week 44 as well, am I in the same boat here? I have laser lights on build?
No, I wouldn't worry about that. The delays and stop sales seem to be quite random. I have carbon buckets, laser lights, exec package, and parking assist pro package, and I'm currently at the port with no stop sales.

I don't know how that one guy's CA could say that March would be the earliest he'd get his car, because there's no way for the CA to know that unless he's just BS'ing because they don't actually have the allocation yet

Edit: I'll qualify my statement by saying that's if the above poster is located in America. I'm on mobile and can't see his location, so his CA might be right if he's located in a different country
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2021, 06:58 AM   #22
Chris_Edgar_86
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: G82 M4 Competition xDrive

Similar situation here. Allocated/ Ordered Base/ 6MT/ IOMG/ Kaylami/ Carbon everything/ none of the tech bs (sticker was $83K on the build) in June.

Kept getting the build date pushed back and got fed up, so I was able to find a vehicle available at MSRP (less a small discount) that was basically the opposite of what I ordered- Tanzanite, auto, No Carbon Seats, All the executive package and tech options, Silverstone interior etc. Sticker was $89K.

I bought the one that was available and cancelled my order.

My rationale was that I really wanted the M4 sooner rather than later, and realistically speaking while I had my ideal build anything would do because fo me it was about the drive, performance and fun of the m4.

In hindsight, I'm really glad I got the auto and really love the blue over Silverstone. The car is much more of a daily driver in this configuration. While I'd still really like to have the carbon buckets, and maybe someday I'll get a set, I'm truly happy with the purchase.
Appreciate 1