E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Stripped splines between xfer case and trans(MT)

08-22-2019, 04:14 PM   #1
Hydraulic
Rep
Drives: 2007 328xi

Stripped splines between xfer case and trans(MT)

So with 180k on the clock my car developed a pretty bad leak from the flywheel housing and sure enough its the rear main. Planned on swapping clutch, (original but never slipped) and RMS so started wrenching. After getting it all apart I noticed the spines from xfer case to tran are in pretty bad shape, half the metal is gone. They are not fully stripped out, but both male shaft and female splines in xfer case are rough. The cars worth maybe 3500-4k if that, and a new xfer case and spline shaft for 1500 in parts alone here is really not worth it to me, rather button it up and trade in before it strips, possibly the new 350$ shaft and a used xfer case for similar cost may be best option.

I'm debating a chemical weld to lock the splines together (bear with me) I don't think it will accelerate failure here so if was just going to button it up anyway why not? if any play at all develops this will fail immediately of course, and if splines were already fully stripped it wouldn't work, but a compound like loctite 660 I think may have a chance of doing it if it locks it and stops all play(may have to load the spline slightly forward while curing, and never gun it in reverse )

I know this sounds hack, because it is a bit, but i have repaired a pretty worn splined pto shaft on a tractor before and its been running strong for 6 years since then, and there is some documentation on fixing worn, non telescoping splines this way.

Here is another case of this issue:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187572
mine is not fully stripped yet like this one, just well on its way

So... drop 700 parts alone on a new shaft and used xfer case or put this in and button up? Any second opinions? I don't plan on keeping the car many more years to come its already at 180k... removing the xfer case from the transmission may no longer be very possible if it does work but i now know dropping tran and transfer case together is doable and don't plan on ever dropping it again on this car anyway rather part it if it came to that i think...

also my flywheel surface seems okay, and there should be some play in the dual mass to my understanding? is there a spec of how much play is too much?
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2019, 02:27 PM   #2
lowrydr310
Robot
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i, 2007 E93 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hydraulic View Post
So with 180k on the clock my car developed a pretty bad leak from the flywheel housing and sure enough its the rear main. Planned on swapping clutch, (original but never slipped) and RMS so started wrenching. After getting it all apart I noticed the spines from xfer case to tran are in pretty bad shape, half the metal is gone. They are not fully stripped out, but both male shaft and female splines in xfer case are rough. The cars worth maybe 3500-4k if that, and a new xfer case and spline shaft for 1500 in parts alone here is really not worth it to me, rather button it up and trade in before it strips, possibly the new 350$ shaft and a used xfer case for similar cost may be best option.

I'm debating a chemical weld to lock the splines together (bear with me) I don't think it will accelerate failure here so if was just going to button it up anyway why not? if any play at all develops this will fail immediately of course, and if splines were already fully stripped it wouldn't work, but a compound like loctite 660 I think may have a chance of doing it if it locks it and stops all play(may have to load the spline slightly forward while curing, and never gun it in reverse )

I know this sounds hack, because it is a bit, but i have repaired a pretty worn splined pto shaft on a tractor before and its been running strong for 6 years since then, and there is some documentation on fixing worn, non telescoping splines this way.

Here is another case of this issue:
https://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1187572
mine is not fully stripped yet like this one, just well on its way

So... drop 700 parts alone on a new shaft and used xfer case or put this in and button up? Any second opinions? I don't plan on keeping the car many more years to come its already at 180k... removing the xfer case from the transmission may no longer be very possible if it does work but i now know dropping tran and transfer case together is doable and don't plan on ever dropping it again on this car anyway rather part it if it came to that i think...

also my flywheel surface seems okay, and there should be some play in the dual mass to my understanding? is there a spec of how much play is too much?
Are you sure it's the rear main seal leaking and not just the oil pan gasket? Not saying the RMS is bulletproof on these cars, but a leaking oil pan gasket is a common problem and often likely to be misdiagnosed as a leaking rear main seal.

As for the splines, I'm a big fan of doing things right and replacing especially if you already have it apart. What's the rest of the car like? If it's clean, in good condition, and you have a lengthy maintenance history ensuring a long future, I'd find a way to get a new shaft and a good used transfer case. On the other hand if your car is a basket case that's been neglected, then a tube of 660 is worth a try.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:13 PM   #3
Hydraulic
Rep

I was not sure it was the rms just when it started dropping softball sized puddles nightly and thick/goopy like itd been thrown all over the bell housing I presumed it was. I taught my roomate to drive stick on the car in the days before it occurred unsure if related. I have it apart now and am sure it's the rms. It appears flush with the rear end of crankshaft on one side and raised a bit on other so think it popped out a bit?
I was on the fence between the 660 or proper fix but I just did my vcg and noticed the teeth on the eccentric shaft gear on the cam were missing metal on the edges which skeeved me out. So knowing that's a liability and metal at some point went into the engine think I'm just going to try the 660 and either drive it to the ground or trade it in. Have pics of the splines and the rms incoming.

Also how do I decide if I can keep flywheel or should replace? Surface looks fine, I an not familiar with duel mass wheels
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2019, 04:24 PM   #4
Hydraulic
Rep

Pics

https://m.imgur.com/a/rpN3Jq7
https://m.imgur.com/a/CgZPdS7

Embedding pics didn't seem to work?
Appreciate 0