THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning WOT Box? (No lift shift)

11-18-2018, 12:54 PM   #1
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
WOT Box? (No lift shift)

As a hardcore 3 pedal enthusiast I'm always looking for a way to shift faster, improve 1/4 mile...etc. The closer to auto-trans performance + 3 pedal fun i can get the better.
So far other than a clutch stop, DV+ and short shifter I haven't found a way to help shift faster. Light weight flywheel too if you're ok with the chatter.

I know jb4 makes a 2 step/no lift shift kit for N54s and so does WOT box. Searched for this for our cars but haven't found anything yet. Does anyone know of an F2x/F3x car running a wot box or tune? This would be killer

Please dont tell me to just add more power. Pretty much maxed out the stock turbo. Goal is to be one of the fastest stock turbo 6mt cars out there

Thanks!
      11-19-2018, 07:13 PM   #2
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Dont Quote me on this, but im pretty sure COBB has the ability to tune in NLS on STI's. So with that being said, i would think that any tuner would be able to incorporate NLS in the tune. I would recommend trying to get a hold of Halim or Dzenno from PTF to see if they can do it with BM3.

Side note, if you dont have BM3 I seriously recommend it. I have had it for about 30k so far and absolutely love it from a reliability standpoint (on and off track) and their customer service is literally insane hahah
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 1
      11-19-2018, 09:43 PM   #3
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

tell me more about the diverter valve upgrade with respect to the 6mt shifts
      11-19-2018, 09:45 PM   #4
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by f22_shayan View Post
Dont Quote me on this, but im pretty sure COBB has the ability to tune in NLS on STI's. So with that being said, i would think that any tuner would be able to incorporate NLS in the tune. I would recommend trying to get a hold of Halim or Dzenno from PTF to see if they can do it with BM3.

Side note, if you dont have BM3 I seriously recommend it. I have had it for about 30k so far and absolutely love it from a reliability standpoint (on and off track) and their customer service is literally insane hahah
I was hoping that's the case. I actually do have bm3. Love it!
Emailed them and they said they don't have plans for it. I may try contacting those two guys directly.
      11-19-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by designatedposter View Post
Quote:
DV+ bleeds boost progressively when the spring is installed. This means it holds more boost between shifts. Doesn't make you shift faster, but definitely makes you faster.
      11-19-2018, 11:20 PM   #6
Shayan55
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: F90 M5

Garage List
2105 BMW M235I  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by EVEda235i View Post
I was hoping that's the case. I actually do have bm3. Love it!
Emailed them and they said they don't have plans for it. I may try contacting those two guys directly.

Yea, i wouldnt think they would plan on releasing NLS as an ots option, but i would try to talk to Halim directly on Facebook or even on IG he is honestly really helpful. If they cant, try talking to a custom tuner like Carry or Paul, they might be able to make you a custom map with NLS included, im sure someone can do it hahaha.
(Sold) M235I Dinan intake, Active Autowerke FMIC, meisterschaft, TCKline coilovers, NT01's, BMS Oil cooler valve, VRSF DP&CP, BM3,StopTech Trophy BBK, Corbeau FX1 Pro seats, AP bar, Bimmerworld V3 Wing, APR Front splitter, Seibon Vented CF Hood
399.8whp on 91oct
Hmu on Ig: @n55_shayan
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2018, 06:13 AM   #7
designatedposter
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
DV+ bleeds boost progressively when the spring is installed. This means it holds more boost between shifts. Doesn't make you shift faster, but definitely makes you faster.
so you have the dv+ installed and can vouch for the less boost lag between shifts?
      11-21-2018, 07:41 AM   #8
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
so you have the dv+ installed and can vouch for the less boost lag between shifts?
GFB DV+ and Intake heads up https://www.2addicts.com/forums/show....php?t=1557302
      11-21-2018, 11:19 AM   #9
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

I'd recommend the Ultimate Clutch Pedal. I installed mine a few days ago. It lowers the friction point significantly to the point that I can modulate the clutch completely without a leg lift. My shifts are much much faster and even smoother. Plus, I can now actually feel the friction through the pedal. The clutch catches very quickly off the floor now.

With that said, flat foot/no lift shifting, very rapid speed shifting, etc. will certainly kill the syncros your 6MT in due time, especially the 1-2 syncro. Lots of ZF 6MTs (used in the 1M, F30, M235/240, M2/2/4) have lost their 1-2 syncros even in stock form. That's definitely the weak link in these trannies. Luckily, in road race situations, you're really not trying to bang the gears and fast as humanly possible plus you're almost never doing a 1-2 shift. The syncro is issue is compounded when you add torque enhancing mods.

If you are concerned about squeezing every .1 out your car in the 1/4 mile, then you should have bought a ZF auto. If you're dead set on the 6MT, then I would not bang the shifts until the tranny fluid is completely warm (~15 minutes of driving). If you want to lower your ETs, then you most certainly need slicks. That alone should drop ETs by .4-.5 seconds easily. You should also have $3500 sitting in your bank account to cover a 6MT replacement. There is no rebuild kit for these trannies. The 6MT can handle tons of power (way more than the ZF), but it doesn't take well to lots of really hard shifting.

Last edited by XutvJet; 11-21-2018 at 11:25 AM..
Appreciate 1
      11-22-2018, 09:30 AM   #10
EVEda235i
Mr. Clutch
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW 335i  [9.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
I'd recommend the Ultimate Clutch Pedal. I installed mine a few days ago. It lowers the friction point significantly to the point that I can modulate the clutch completely without a leg lift. My shifts are much much faster and even smoother. Plus, I can now actually feel the friction through the pedal. The clutch catches very quickly off the floor now.

With that said, flat foot/no lift shifting, very rapid speed shifting, etc. will certainly kill the syncros your 6MT in due time, especially the 1-2 syncro. Lots of ZF 6MTs (used in the 1M, F30, M235/240, M2/2/4) have lost their 1-2 syncros even in stock form. That's definitely the weak link in these trannies. Luckily, in road race situations, you're really not trying to bang the gears and fast as humanly possible plus you're almost never doing a 1-2 shift. The syncro is issue is compounded when you add torque enhancing mods.

If you are concerned about squeezing every .1 out your car in the 1/4 mile, then you should have bought a ZF auto. If you're dead set on the 6MT, then I would not bang the shifts until the tranny fluid is completely warm (~15 minutes of driving). If you want to lower your ETs, then you most certainly need slicks. That alone should drop ETs by .4-.5 seconds easily. You should also have $3500 sitting in your bank account to cover a 6MT replacement. There is no rebuild kit for these trannies. The 6MT can handle tons of power (way more than the ZF), but it doesn't take well to lots of really hard shifting.
Appreiate the info! Did you install it yourself? Call me naive, but i have a lot of faith in these transmissions to hold up. I also only do hard 1st second at the strip luckily.
I got the 6mt to be more involved. This pedal will definitely augment the feed back and connection.
      11-22-2018, 11:00 AM   #11
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Quote:
Appreiate the info! Did you install it yourself? Call me naive, but i have a lot of faith in these transmissions to hold up. I also only do hard 1st second at the strip luckily.
I got the 6mt to be more involved. This pedal will definitely augment the feed back and connection.
Yeah, I installed it myself. I'm doing a brief write-up.

1-2 syncros are a real problem. Do a Google search for "BMW 6MT gear grind" and you'll see what I'm talking about. Additionally, there are magazine articles noting 335/435, M235, 1M, 335is, M2, and M3/M4 test cars having 1-2 grinding issues. All these cars use the same 6MT with the exception that the M cars supposedly have a strong 2nd gear syncro. The point is, this transmissions don't like hard shifts. My guess is many of the people that have grinding issues is because they ran the car hard before the tranny fluid was adequately warmed up. When the tranny isn't warmed up fully, you can feel a lot more baulkiness and resistance in the syncros. You have to be gentle for a while and then the tranny comes into its own. All it takes is one time to really mess up a syncro. Be careful because it can get real expensive. IMO, I'd focus more on the driving connection and road course racing and leave that .1.-.2 seconds saved in the 1/4 mile by slamming the gears.

Also, BMW employees a crafty timing and EWG programming system that allows the 6MT to hold some boost between shifts in Sport+ and DSC Off on the 2-3 and upper shifts when shifting above 6,000rpms at full throttle. When you get it right, a hard shift isn't met with much torque shock at all. It's really strange feeling. My M235 will hold about 50-60% max boost on shifts. That's not bad at all.