THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Problem with Dinan Warranty

08-01-2018, 08:15 PM   #1
dpaschal
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i 2016

Problem with Dinan Warranty

I would appreciate advice or a shared experience with Dinan warranty claims. Mine was partially denied. On June 16th while at VIR with the BMW Club's HPDE, my 2016 228 (still under warranty) threw a rod. I've had a Dinan Stage 1 tune installed about 2 years. BMW denied the warranty because "the engine has been altered and stressed beyond its capacity". The Dinan warranty claim was made 6/19 by Leith BMW. After numerous phone calls from both me and Leith, on 7/13 Justin (Dinan warranty dept supervisor) told me they would only pay for labor, but not parts since the incident occurred while I was on the track. I pointed out the warranty excluded races/timed events and the HPDE was neither. He said he would review the situation and get back to me. As of 8/1 Justin has not responded to several phone calls from me and Leith. I paid the Dinan premium because of the warranty. Apparently their warranty isn't as good as I thought.

Please let me know if anyone else has had their Dinan warranty denied due to failure during an HPDE.

If there is a Dinan representative monitoring this blog, I would appreciate your input as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:14 PM   #2
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

Interesting, subscribed. I hope it works out for you.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 09:47 PM   #3
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

Subbed I have a dinanl stage 1 as well and this interests me greatly.

My car is at the dealer tight now with a cel
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:39 PM   #4
mikeyymonster
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M2C

They actually frequent these boards - I will try to tag them. Dinan_Engineering
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2018, 10:50 PM   #5
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

That's ridiculous....

They should step up... call Dinan and ask to speak with somebody else... or get a lawyer
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:16 AM   #6
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

I try to stay out of specific warranty matters just because I have no control over them and generally don't have all the information to properly access the situation at hand. That's what the warranty and tech support department is there for so I will always defer to them for resolution on specific claims. I can point them to the thread and any additional information that may be gleaned from it but that's about the extent of my interaction with the process I am afraid.

That said, in general, track related claims are usually denied whether they are competitive or not as the car is subject to additional abuse above and beyond the norm. I can't speak for all dealerships, or BMW NA, as every case is different but in my experience over the years even when damage is caused at a "non-competitive" HPDE event BMWNA will deny the claim stating "abuse" or "negligence". They may come back and good will some or all of it but more often then not they will make sure it is known as a "good will" gesture and not done under warranty.

OP - I will PM you directly here shortly as I seem to have additional / varying information that you don't in regards to this claim.
Appreciate 1
      08-02-2018, 01:48 PM   #7
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Insurance will deny claims for track day damage too, that's why guys used to have the car towed down the street before reporting.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:16 PM   #8
overcoil
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i 6spd

Anyone have an idea how much the parts cost (portion Dinan will pay) ?
Any list of parts required; crank, block, oil-pump etcetera ?
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 03:45 PM   #9
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
Assuming Leith did the Dinan install for him, since the parts are covered they should step up and do the right thing and help out on the labor. Maybe not cover 100% of the cost but at least soften the blow.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 04:02 PM   #10
hwntime
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 Raptor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Assuming Leith did the Dinan install for him, since the parts are covered they should step up and do the right thing and help out on the labor. Maybe not cover 100% of the cost but at least soften the blow.
Good thing is OP mentioned that Dinan will cover warranty which will probably cost more than the actual parts. So not a total loss.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:15 PM   #11
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
I try to stay out of specific warranty matters just because I have no control over them and generally don't have all the information to properly access the situation at hand. That's what the warranty and tech support department is there for so I will always defer to them for resolution on specific claims. I can point them to the thread and any additional information that may be gleaned from it but that's about the extent of my interaction with the process I am afraid.

That said, in general, track related claims are usually denied whether they are competitive or not as the car is subject to additional abuse above and beyond the norm. I can't speak for all dealerships, or BMW NA, as every case is different but in my experience over the years even when damage is caused at a "non-competitive" HPDE event BMWNA will deny the claim stating "abuse" or "negligence". They may come back and good will some or all of it but more often then not they will make sure it is known as a "good will" gesture and not done under warranty.

OP - I will PM you directly here shortly as I seem to have additional / varying information that you don't in regards to this claim.
This is what it says on the warranty page https://www.dinancars.com/warranty/ "THE DINAN LIMITED WARRANTY SPECIFICALLY EXCLUDES: any vehicle operated in any competitive event'

If you are not willing to cover non-competitive events (HPDE etc) then i should be explicitly stated on the limited warranty and not mislead customers....

Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:22 PM   #12
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottSinger View Post
You most likely will need a short engine... basically new block, with rods and pistons..

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=11_4758

think like 18k with labor... maybe 12-13 for just the parts...

If you ask BMW they would know an estimate
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:23 PM   #13
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
Insurance will deny claims for track day damage too, that's why guys used to have the car towed down the street before reporting.
Not true.... some insurances exclude anything on a racing surface, some only exclude competitive/timed events...
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 10:57 PM   #14
TakoMako
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i Xdrive

My situation with Dinan turned out pretty good. My throttle body failed on the middle of the road and Dinan warrantied it. But my service advisor is preventing things from being perfect. Oh and this is in Canada.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 07:46 AM   #15
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I have my car back.

It may be in my head but something just does not feel right with it.

Feels like it is down on power.

When WOT I get more noise, almost like a vacuum leak or pressure leak.

NO CEL though.

Maybe its all in my head.
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 11:06 AM   #16
dpaschal
Rep
Drives: BMW 228i 2016

Dinan Warranty Issue Update

Gary at Dinan Warranty told me today they would now pay for the parts ($8,847), but not labor ($4,380) vs the other way around. I'm willing to accept that and move on.

The issue is the incident happened on the track, even if it was an HPDE.

Regarding insurance coverage comments, my insurance covers HPDE's. I have State Farm and got a written conformation.

Thanks for everyone's input, especially the Lt Col from Dinan Enginnering.
Appreciate 1
overcoil3073.50
      08-03-2018, 12:17 PM   #17
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaschal View Post
Gary at Dinan Warranty told me today they would now pay for the parts ($8,847), but not labor ($4,380) vs the other way around. I'm willing to accept that and move on.

The issue is the incident happened on the track, even if it was an HPDE.

Regarding insurance coverage comments, my insurance covers HPDE's. I have State Farm and got a written conformation.

Thanks for everyone's input, especially the Lt Col from Dinan Enginnering.
Glad you got it worked out...
what did they end up replacing?
Appreciate 0
      08-03-2018, 01:20 PM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dpaschal View Post
I misread your first post I thought that was the deal they first offered you. I would still see if your dealer will help you out and at least give you the employee rate on labor. That is 100% in their control if you have a good relationship with them.

I bought an X5 that turned out to be more of a mess than PPI would have led us to believe and my dealer (I did not buy car from them) gave me free labor and employee pricing on parts.
Appreciate 0