THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics BimmerTech Audio Vs bavSound

07-24-2018, 07:34 AM   #1
Kiloptero
Rep
Drives: M240i 2018 White alpine

BimmerTech Audio Vs bavSound

Hi all.. i recently adquire a white alpine M240 with the "hifi" Sound system..
i will upgrade to a real decent equipment...

any recomendation between Bimmertech vs Bavsound?

Thanks a lot!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 08:54 AM   #2
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240i

I do not recommend doing business with bavsound. Yes the speakers sound great but I don't like how they operate or treat their customers.

I have the bavsound speakers (full stage 1) on my hifi bmw and I also bought the bimmertech amplifier.

The tune bimmertech provided for my "hifi" system sounded like garbage. I have since had a friend (who is very knowledgeable in car audio and tuning) help me setup a baseline tune and it sounds much better. We have not even tweaked it yet but it still sounds worlds better than the tune provided by bimmertech.

Furthermore bavsound told me their speaker warranty is voided because I am using the bimmertech amp and that the speakers are not designed to handle that much power (yet they refuse to provide me any specifications on what they can handle despite multiple requests).

There is a thread I created but long story short they initially told me that I could buy the bimmertech amplifier no problem and the speakers could handle power just fine. Then the following weak, after I had already purchased unreturnable amplifier, when I ask them if they have a tune available a different support person says that the speakers cannot handle the amplifier and my warranty is void. This customer rep tells me the previous rep was "filling in for him" and incorrect.
Well bimmertech does not accept returns so what was I supposed to do with my $900?????
This is why I say dont do business with bavsound.

Last edited by tennisfreak; 07-24-2018 at 09:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 01:02 PM   #3
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiloptero View Post

Thanks a lot!!
Ummm, OP:

Bimmertech = repurposed Match amplifier
BavSound = OEM-replacement speakers

Neither company does both. Your question makes zero sense.

PLEASE research before asking a question so:
- members such as tennisfreak don't unfairly skew your judgment
- you don't sound like, well, someone who hasn't done research

#closethread
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44514.50
      07-24-2018, 01:25 PM   #4
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Quote:

Thanks a lot!!
Ummm, OP:

#closethread
Bimmertech does market a line of speakers now called Alpha One not sure who makes them though or if they will work for HiFi.

If I were going to upgrade a HiFi car it seems to be a bigger challenge, as such I'd probably get a JL amp and Focal speakers professionally installed and tuned.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:30 PM   #5
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Ummm, OP:

#closethread
What is unfair?

I presented OP with what happened and then my opinion based off of that.

If you doubt the validity or honesty of what I said I can attach the full email thread with time/date stamps that will 100% show I am being truthful.
Appreciate 1
      07-24-2018, 02:34 PM   #6
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Quote:
Ummm, OP:

#closethread
What is unfair?

I presented OP with what happened and then my opinion based off of that.

If you doubt the validity or honesty of what I said I can attach the full email thread with time/date stamps that will 100% show I am being truthful.
I think the point is that your experience should hopefully be an outlier but lacking any context or previous knowledge gained through research OP might think your nightmare - while bad - happens to everyone. What you attempted to do even with their misinformation is not something attempted by many, lots of folks have used their gear and it has been smooth sailing.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      07-24-2018, 02:43 PM   #7
Kiloptero
Rep

Thanks all for the answer, but just asking about the quality of the sound.
The good part of bimmertech is that they provide all the kit (Amp+Speakers).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:50 PM   #8
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BEM-S4 View Post
I think the point is that your experience should hopefully be an outlier but lacking any context or previous knowledge gained through research OP might think your nightmare - while bad - happens to everyone. What you attempted to do even with their misinformation is not something attempted by many, lots of folks have used their gear and it has been smooth sailing.
tennisfreak : This is exactly it.

Plus, I'll add that you can't hold a company responsible for what it doesn't itself sell. Unless you obtained the DSP tune you used from BavSound, you can't hold it responsible for the performance of its speakers with a Bimmertech amp in a 2 Series. I explained why in another thread.

As for Bimmertech, well, it has a poor customer-service record already because it believes in crowd-sourcing its issues, as well as its fixes. I am not a fan of the company partially because its business model is a lot like buying cocaine: You pay it for good stuff, but if it messes you up you're screwed and it's not its fault so go find someone who knows how to use our good stuff without getting messed up.

Bimmertech can get away with this because it's based in a country (Poland) with virtually no consumer protection laws. So, basically, you pays your money and takes your chances.

Just sayin'.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #9
JerryW235
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 X7 40i; 2021 X3 M40i

I've bought equipment from both companies. Speakers from Bavsound, and a front / rear camera retrofit from Bimmertech. Had a great experience with both companies.

Talked and emailed with Bavsound both before and after the sale, no complaints with their level of service, they were always helpful. The speakers were a plug and play drop in without any modifications, and sound a lot better than the stock HiFi speakers.

Bimmertech was also great with follow-up to questions before and after the sale, and a year later when I thought I had a problem with the unit, but it turned out not to be. Also had an opportunity to talk on the phone with them, as well as email.

I would have no reservations doing business with either company again.
      07-24-2018, 02:52 PM   #10
Kiloptero
Rep

Viffermike thanks! any other recomendation for speakers?
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #11
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

Plus, I'll add that you can't hold a company responsible for what it doesn't itself sell. Unless you obtained the DSP tune you used from BavSound, you can't hold it responsible for the performance of its speakers with a Bimmertech amp in a 2 Series. I explained why in another thread.

As for Bimmertech, well, it has a poor customer-service record already because it believes in crowd-sourcing its issues, as well as its fixes. I am not a fan of the company partially because its business model is a lot like buying cocaine: You pay it for good stuff, but if it messes you up you're screwed and it's not its fault so go find someone who knows how to use our good stuff.

Just sayin'.
None of these small players are staffed with guys who live and breathe this stuff, audio engineers, etc. Jason the lead tech guy at Bavsound was doing installs at Circuit City not studying at MIT or anything. Not to say they can't provide good gear, but they all know their stuff and that's it. No one is going to trade shows, learning about competitors, really geeking out on any of this. At least in my experience.

For something that's not right down the fairway like an amp and speaker kit specifically for your car all from the same vendor, you're better off working with an authorized dealer in your area to source gear. At the end of the day in the event of an issue you'll have a single throat to choke and someone like JL has deeper pockets that Bimmertech. Not to say you can't cobble together a system from smaller players and get it to work, but the downside risk of disaster is so much smaller going with big names. And it won't cost a ton more. The speakers maybe a bit more but you don't have to buy a center, amp maybe a bit less etc.
Appreciate 2
Viffermike1753.00
WolfGTI688.50
      07-24-2018, 02:58 PM   #12
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Viffermike thanks! any other recomendation for speakers?
For OEM drop-in: either Focal ($$$$), Jehnert ($$$) or Eton ($$). Etons are only available in Europe; Jehnerts can be sourced through a few select importers such as MusicarNW.

For regular drivers: Any good 4" coaxial with fabric tweeters. Three brands come to mind: Morel, Hertz, and higher-line JL Audio. For the underseat woofers (they are not subwoofers): Based on feedback here and elsewhere, either BavSound Ghost v2, Focal, or Jehnert.
Appreciate 1
BEM-S44514.50
      07-24-2018, 03:20 PM   #13
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Based on feedback here and elsewhere, either BavSound Ghost v2, Focal, or Jehnert.
I'd skip Bavsound entirely I just noticed OP is in Chile no idea what their support is like internationally assume not good. VM gave you a good list I'd see what's available in your local market and buy from an authorized dealer there. Grey market i.e. Eton's folks in the U.S. use can be a good option and a way to save a few bucks but if you run into trouble you're on your own.
Appreciate 1
Viffermike1753.00
      07-24-2018, 04:32 PM   #14
Kiloptero
Rep

well.. im in chile, but working in a american company... so the shipping and handling will be no problem!.. Thanks both for the info!!
lets go for bimmertech audio
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 11:18 AM   #15
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

So normally I would agree with you but I think you are failing to read or understand what I have been saying.

I contacted BavSound directly and asked them if their speakers support the bimmertech amplifier.

They responded directly with yes their speakers could handle it, have no worries, it will sound great.

Then the following week they tell me (after I purchased a nonreturnable apmplifier) that the previous person FROM BAVSOUND was wrong and I was SOL.

So yes I hold BavSound directly responsible for giving me misinformation.
And no this is not unreasonable in any way.
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 11:49 AM   #16
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tennisfreak View Post
Quote:

So normally I would agree with you but I think you are failing to read or understand what I have been saying.

I contacted BavSound directly and asked them if their speakers support the bimmertech amplifier.

They responded directly with yes their speakers could handle it, have no worries, it will sound great.

Then the following week they tell me (after I purchased a nonreturnable apmplifier) that the previous person FROM BAVSOUND was wrong and I was SOL.

So yes I hold BavSound directly responsible for giving me misinformation.
And no this is not unreasonable in any way.
Under different circumstances I would say that you as the end user - cobbling together gear from different vendors - would shoulder most of the responsibility to perform DD. HOWEVER...

Bavsound and Bimmertech cater to a certain type of customer, a customer who is in general not well educated or knowledgeable about what they're buying. Pros do not buy from either company. Part of what they're selling is an idiot proof plug and play system for lay people. As such were I training their sales and support staff I would stress that customers - no offense to you personally - are dumb about this stuff and really don't know what the hell they are doing - so spoon feed shit to them like they're learning disabled and triple check every single thing because 5 more minutes on the phone is cheaper than causing problems for dummies.

I'm not saying they do this or think this way, but they should. I'd be more inclined to say you're on your own if you called and told them I want to run a JL amp will it be ok and they say yes, but since they sell the exact amp you bought they should know better. At least something along the lines of hey I bought your hifi speakers will the BT amp work, "you know what we don't sell it for your speakers. It may but we haven't tested it or have the right tune"
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2018, 12:10 PM   #17
tennisfreak
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Under different circumstances I would say that you as the end user - cobbling together gear from different vendors - would shoulder most of the responsibility to perform DD. HOWEVER...

Bavsound and Bimmertech cater to a certain type of customer, a customer who is in general not well educated or knowledgeable about what they're buying. Pros do not buy from either company. Part of what they're selling is an idiot proof plug and play system for lay people. As such were I training their sales and support staff I would stress that customers - no offense to you personally - are dumb about this stuff and really don't know what the hell they are doing - so spoon feed shit to them like they're learning disabled and triple check every single thing because 5 more minutes on the phone is cheaper than causing problems for dummies.

I'm not saying they do this or think this way, but they should. I'd be more inclined to say you're on your own if you called and told them I want to run a JL amp will it be ok and they say yes, but since they sell the exact amp you bought they should know better. At least something along the lines of hey I bought your hifi speakers will the BT amp work, "you know what we don't sell it for your speakers. It may but we haven't tested it or have the right tune"
Exactly.

Here is a copy paste:

Me:
Quote:
I bought your speaker and sub upgrade for my 2018 BMW m240i. I noticed you dont sell an amplifier but I can buy one directly from bimmertech.
I need to know what wattage the speakers I bought from you will support.
BavSound:
Quote:
Hi Chris,

I don't have wattage info readily available but our speakers can easily handle the wattage from that Bimmertech amp. We actually sell that same amp everyday. We just don't carry it because we haven't personally tested it in your car. I'm 100% sure it will work but we just don't add it to our site until we've tested and created instructions etc.

Long story short, have no fear! Our Stage I will sound awesome with the Bimmertech amp : )
Appreciate 1
      07-25-2018, 12:34 PM   #18
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Just to close the loop I think with a follow up saying just to confirm I have HiFi car and since you haven't tested it or provided tune will it impact my warranty at all then you'd be 100% in the right. They should have told you "since we didn't test any trouble we can't provide warranty support" but lacking that I think it's on you to double check. Just trying to help others going down similar path from falling victim to the same land mine you stepped in.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2018, 09:31 PM   #19
VPB74
Private
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i

Garage List
I had the HIFI system. I replaced the amp with the Bimmertech amp and used a tune I downloaded from another thread on this forum (you should be able to find that thread by searching for "Bimmertech"). I replaced the front door speakers with Focal IFBMW-S and Focal ISC-100 for the rear. I turned off the center speaker (you can turn off that output in the amp when tuning it). I think the result is much improved.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 06:21 AM   #20
JLIT
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
2008 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Bimmertec Amp & Bavsound Stage 1 Upgrade

I'm an audio engineer and my car is where I check my mixes and masters. Personally I had the HK and saw a massive improvement in the quality of the output from doing this upgrade. It was easy as it gets. I did purchase the ghost subs but wasn't pleased with the amount of bass. I knew I couldn't expect massive bass and low end like I've had in the past with actual subs and amps to power them. I've since gone the route of purchasing an external 1600.1 Amp and a Sundown Audio DX-10 Rev.2 sub with a custom built box built for it's spec's and tuned to 34hz. I have yet to tackle the install job but supposedly it's pretty simple with the upgraded amp having co-axial inputs.

Anyone else done this?
18x8.5 et35 VMR 803, Stoptech Trophy Series Front BBK, M4 LCA,KW V2, Seibon CF Hood, APR Gtc250, Agency harness bar, Corbeau A4 Raving Seats and 4pt Harnesses, P3 Display, XHP Stage 3, PR Coils -TTFS-XDI35 hpfp ~CaryJordan Tune Full E85~aFE Momentum GT, Stage 2.5 Walbro 535 LPFP, MPerfExhaust, Quad CF Sleeve Tips, custom quad cf rear diffuser, M2 Style Front bumper with lip. Avery Dark Grey Gloss Vinyl
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #21
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Why in the world anyone would need a subwoofer in a small vehicle that:

- is powered by an amplifier that is more than three times as powerful as what is required by the typical home theater subwoofer
- is powered by an amplifier that is more than two times as powerful what any bass guitarist needs for all but four-figure-capacity rooms and large outdoor gigs
- reaches down to an audible threshold that will almost certainly cause more NVH than actual definable tonality (hope you'll be using 20-30 lbs of Dynomat), which, by the way, is roughly equivalent to the note of B/C flat on a 5-string bass, and most of what is heard from that string on a bass guitar is higher-frequency overtones, anyway)

is beyond me.

Hey: It's your car. But it's a car. It's not a recording studio.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 11:57 AM   #22
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Why in the world anyone would need a subwoofer in a small vehicle that:

- is powered by an amplifier that is more than three times as powerful as what is required by the typical home theater subwoofer
- is powered by an amplifier that is more than two times as powerful what any bass guitarist needs for all but four-figure-capacity rooms and large outdoor gigs
- reaches down to an audible threshold that will almost certainly cause more NVH than actual definable tonality (hope you'll be using 20-30 lbs of Dynomat), which, by the way, is roughly equivalent to the note of B/C flat on a 5-string bass, and most of what is heard from that string on a bass guitar is higher-frequency overtones, anyway)

is beyond me.

Hey: It's your car. But it's a car. It's not a recording studio.
Don't discourage this it's ridiculous in the best possible way.

What I don't understand is why you'd go with something like the ghosts which is an ok but not great solution then completely opposite end of the spectrum with this monster.

Would think a full, balanced, custom build in the $5-7k range would be more in order.
Appreciate 0