THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Simple Method: Launch control (automatic) M235i

10-12-2017, 05:10 PM   #1
Peter K_B
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i with M Perf Exhaust

Simple Method: Launch control (automatic) M235i

I know there are some other threads that include this, but they are quite old and some are confusing.

I found a web site, and a video from Germany (with English subtitles), that really explain/illustrate the process of using launch control with the M235i with automatic transmission. I assume this also applies to the M240i. (The Autoevolution site is using the M3/M4 but most of his directions appear to be accurate.)

The video: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...deo-90201.html AND http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/new...explained.html

In a nutshell, based on the two above sources:

Step 1 : Drive the car to warm it up; come to a complete stop and depress the brake pedal with the left foot. Keep it depressed.

Step 2: Set the mode to Sport+

Press the DSC button (above the Sport mode controller) to turn DSC OFF. Just one simple press of the button as in the video.

NOTE: there is a discussion about this feature at http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976832

Step 3:: Set the gearbox into the sport manual shift mode. That is achieved by tilting the gearshift lever to the left. (You will then need to shift gears using the paddles on the steering wheel.)

Before doing the next step, ensure that the steering wheel is set to straight; plan to keep driving in a straight line.

Step 4: With your foot on the brake pedal, press the gas pedal beyond the kick-down point and keep it depressed; an icon will appear in your instrument cluster confirming that Launch Control is active.

Step 5: Within 3 seconds of the icon appearing, release the brake pedal (while foot is on the accelerator) and immediately accelerate to the maximum.

The above ensures maximum acceleration and traction.

A lot of Reviews do indicate that Launch Control does not always work. They do not explain why it did not, or what procedure they had used when trying to activate it.

Last edited by Peter K_B; 10-13-2017 at 10:13 AM.. Reason: clarified which link is the video
Appreciate 1
      10-12-2017, 06:01 PM   #2
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
For step 3. You don't have to shift manually. You can just leave it in S transmission. I prefer to let it do the 1-2 and 2-3 shift then shift manually if i want.

Like he does:
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 10:11 AM   #3
Peter K_B
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i with M Perf Exhaust

Video: he does shift manually

I viewed the video again. He presses the shifter to the left; that means that the car will stay in first gear until he changes to second, third, etc.

So, unless I misunderstood something, the video recommends shifting manually.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2017, 10:37 AM   #4
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter K_B View Post
I viewed the video again. He presses the shifter to the left; that means that the car will stay in first gear until he changes to second, third, etc.

So, unless I misunderstood something, the video recommends shifting manually.
Incorrect. Pulling the shifter to the left only puts the transmission in S mode. Where it will auto shift, but more aggressively and it will hold gear longer.

To get it in M mode you then have to use one of the paddles or push/pull the shifter.
Appreciate 1
      10-13-2017, 06:40 PM   #5
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

My 135is used to upshift at max revs even in manual mode. I see in the operator's manual that the current one will sometimes not. Guess I'll have to read more carefully ...

With only about 600 miles on it I've been trying to stick below 5000, though I wound it up pretty far this afternoon passing someone. No valves came flying out or anything ...
Appreciate 1
      10-14-2017, 07:24 PM   #6
inc235
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 23 m240i rwd

Pressing DSC disables sports+ and activates DTC. (at least in my car which is '16). So, you don't even have to be in sport+ mode to do that.
Also, see your manual that was provided with the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 02:13 PM   #7
CAMOETO
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 m240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peter K_B View Post
I know there are some other threads that include this, but they are quite old and some are confusing.

I found a web site, and a video from Germany (with English subtitles), that really explain/illustrate the process of using launch control with the M235i with automatic transmission. I assume this also applies to the M240i. (The Autoevolution site is using the M3/M4 but most of his directions appear to be accurate.)

The video: https://www.autoevolution.com/news/2...deo-90201.html AND http://www.carscoops.com/2013/11/new...explained.html

In a nutshell, based on the two above sources:

Step 1 : Drive the car to warm it up; come to a complete stop and depress the brake pedal with the left foot. Keep it depressed.

Step 2: Set the mode to Sport+

Press the DSC button (above the Sport mode controller) to turn DSC OFF. Just one simple press of the button as in the video.

NOTE: there is a discussion about this feature at http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=976832

Step 3:: Set the gearbox into the sport manual shift mode. That is achieved by tilting the gearshift lever to the left. (You will then need to shift gears using the paddles on the steering wheel.)

Before doing the next step, ensure that the steering wheel is set to straight; plan to keep driving in a straight line.

Step 4: With your foot on the brake pedal, press the gas pedal beyond the kick-down point and keep it depressed; an icon will appear in your instrument cluster confirming that Launch Control is active.

Step 5: Within 3 seconds of the icon appearing, release the brake pedal (while foot is on the accelerator) and immediately accelerate to the maximum.

The above ensures maximum acceleration and traction.

A lot of Reviews do indicate that Launch Control does not always work. They do not explain why it did not, or what procedure they had used when trying to activate it.
This is another thread that lists incorrect info on the launch control feature, at least as it pertains to the m240i.

- Do not need to press the DSC button, that actually takes the car out of Sport+ mode and puts it into DTC mode. DTC mode may work as well, but I haven't tried it. Sport+ (without pressing the DSC button) press definitely works. This is from personal experience.

- Do not need to shift gears manually, just need to put shift lever into Sport/Manual mode. Car will shift gears for you unless you want to do it yourself.

All you need for the m240i, is to warm up the car by driving it for a few minutes, put the car in Sport+ mode, put the transmission into M/S mode, firmly press the brake pedal with your left foot, and while still pressing it fully press the gas pedal to the floor (past kick-down point).

If you did it right, the RPM will be about 2000, at that point let go of the brake and launch the car. If you did it wrong, be prepared for a spectacular one-tire fire (unless you have the LSD).

Gone, but not forgotten: 2017 m240i, 2016 GTI PP, 2013 Camaro SS, 2009 G8 GXP, 2008 G8 GT, 2007 335i, 2003 530i
Appreciate 1
      10-16-2017, 04:44 PM   #8
samej
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 F22 M240i xDrive MG

From the 240 manual:

Functional requirements
Launch Control is available when the engine is warmed up, that is, after uninterrupted driving of at least 6 miles/10 km.

Start with launch control
While the engine is running:

1. Press button or select Sport+ with the Driving Dynamics Control.
TRACTION is displayed in the instrument cluster and the indicator light for DSC OFF lights up.
2. Engage selector lever position S.
3. With the left foot, forcefully press down on the brake.
4. Press and hold down the accelerator pedal beyond the resistance point at the full throttle position, kickdown.
A flag symbol is displayed in the instrument cluster.
5. The starting engine speed adjusts. Within 3 seconds, release the brake.
Repeated use during a trip

After Launch Control was used, the transmission must cool down for approx. 5 minutes, before Launch Control can be used again.
Launch Control adjusts to the surrounding conditions, when used again.
2007 335i Premium
Appreciate 0
      10-16-2017, 07:23 PM   #9
Ron Jeffries
Old Member. Old in general, actually.
Rep
Drives: 2018 M240i xDrive convertible

I tried it a couple of times in the 135IS. It has to really nuke the car and in the end, what good is it?
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 07:09 AM   #10
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I think it has been worth about 4 forum threads so far... And good for water-cooler bragging rights. But I haven't really felt the need, since all it really takes is brake-holding until 2k (probably does juice up the software somewhat to use formal launch, but I haven't felt underpowered yet). I'm still trying to pattern myself for a routine left-hand downshift as I start to drop the throttle (passing, etc.) - that, and a torque curve that looks like a kitchen table, are at least as much fun for me as off-the-line launches.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2017, 06:36 PM   #11
bowhun2r
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: F22/B58 M240xi

On the M240xi auto you will see checkered flags on the dash if you have done it correctly.

Car is warm

steering wheel straight
sport+
shifter to left
hold brake peddle down
press gas peddle to kick stop

Watch lower dash portion and you will see checkered flags.

Release brake within a few seconds.
Car will shift by itself unless you hit the pedals

Hang on

I got my best 1/4 ET with LC. Was not able to better any ET when not using LC.

Sold - 2017 M240xi Mineral White, HK, OEMConcept 437M wheels, Curtis hitch for bike rack, MPE, Painted rear diffuser, Dinan Elite Stage 1
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:24 AM   #12
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

All I'm getting is rear tyre spin and cringy brake wear sounds and for someone who's never done wheelies or doughnuts in their life ever, I feared for the condition of my tyres. 'past kickdown point', I've floored my accelerator and the rpm attempts to go straight to red line, unsure how it maintains 2k rpm with a lead foot until supposed launch control flag pops up. Suffice to say, I've never seen the flag. What am I doing wrong?
Appreciate 0
      10-31-2018, 05:43 AM   #13
orangeglim
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 M2C

Garage List
2019 M2C  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avex View Post
All I'm getting is rear tyre spin and cringy brake wear sounds and for someone who's never done wheelies or doughnuts in their life ever, I feared for the condition of my tyres. 'past kickdown point', I've floored my accelerator and the rpm attempts to go straight to red line, unsure how it maintains 2k rpm with a lead foot until supposed launch control flag pops up. Suffice to say, I've never seen the flag. What am I doing wrong?
If the rear tires are spinning you're not on the brake hard enough. You really need to stand on it, hard, to stop the spin.
Appreciate 0
      11-09-2018, 05:06 AM   #14
Avex
Second Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: F22 M235i AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeglim View Post
If the rear tires are spinning you're not on the brake hard enough. You really need to stand on it, hard, to stop the spin.
Thanks for the advice, finally got launch control working, to my dismay, so much tire spin from having pedal to the metal when stationery. Can't get a good 0-100kmh time using it for some reason. Managed 4.9sec just manual shifting in sport+ mode.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2018, 09:03 PM   #15
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

I have honestly had better success not using launch control, and just power braking till like 1800rpms or 2k.