THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes DIY F22 Spring Install w/ Pictures (EASY)

08-14-2017, 09:45 AM   #1
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235i

DIY F22 Spring Install w/ Pictures (EASY)

Hi all, first post on this forum!

I’m from the R3vlimited forum, but recently picked up a CPO M235i 8HP. Here’s my two girls:

And the M235i after the spring install:

I installed some Dinan springs on my F22 this weekend and thought I’d make a quick DIY for you all. In my short 10-minute search I noticed there aren’t any DIY’s except for an M2 video on YouTube, but the procedure is a bit different for our cars. If one does indeed exist, well now there’s two.

Firstly, this is a pretty simple job but you will need some specific tools to do this properly. While I admit I am a nerd that likens mechanical work to adult LEGO, there is no need to be spending $800+ on DINAN’s recommended 6.5 hours labor unless you're extremely busy all the time. As with any German MacPherson design, the front end requires the most involvement and took me just over 3 hours to complete. The rear is probably the easiest suspension install I’ve ever done and took only 45 minutes.

Let’s begin!

Specific Tools that will make your life easier:

This is a Cordless ½ inch impact wrench and makes quick work of nuts, bolts, and especially spring compressors. This is a Cryobi model that allegedly produces 300 ft/lbs of torque, but I can confidently tell you that it does not. Regardless, it performed well for this job.

This is a ½ drive Pinch Joint spreader tool. It will come in handy when removing and installing the strut tube. You can get away with using a 3/8” ratchet or a pry bar, but this turns a frustrating job into cake. For what it's worth, I used this same tool on Audi and Porsche cars, so I assume they're all pretty much the same. AST makes the tool I am using.

Here’s an E18 “Reverse/Female Torx” Socket needed to remove the strut brace from the aluminum strut bearing/top hat. I’ve gotten away with using a socket in the past, but wouldn’t recommend it.

Pass Through Sockets are pretty common, but if you don’t have these tools before starting you won’t be able to remove the sway bar endlinks or the strut top hats. If you’re in a bind you can use Vice Grips to clamp a socket, but you will mar the tool.

Disassembly:

NOTE: THIS IS FOR THE PASSENGER SIDE. THE DRIVER SIDE HAS A HEADLIGHT LEVEING ARM THAT MUST BE REMOVED FROM THE LOWER CONTROL ARM. (All you have to do is pop off the ball and socket part of the arm. It’s pretty flexible, I didn’t worry about breaking it. Pop it back together during reassembly)

After you’ve jacked up the front end properly (the plastic jacking points on each side), remove the wheels:

Unplug the strut valve plug:

Unplug the BOSCH ABS sensor:

Both plugs:

Use your pass-through socket wrench and a T-30 Torx bit to remove the TOP end link nut:

NOTE: Use a jack of some sort (I prefer scissor jacks) to help relieve tension from the bolts. This is also useful in reassembly to line up the holes:

Endlink removed from strut housing:

Remove pinch joint bolt (the bolt on the aluminum clamp holding the bottom of the strut):

Preliminary steps to unbolt the Lower Control Arm from the chassis: There’s a T-30 trim bolt in the wheel well and two 8mm bolts on the under panel that should be removed. This allows better access to the 18mm bolt/nut on either side of the LCA bushing.

Unbolt the LCA from the chassis. Notice the trim pieces that have been bent back a bit to accommodate the wrenches. DO NOT REMOVE THE LCA FROM THE HUB. You will risk damaging the ball joint.

Unhook these rubber wire grommets. This helps relieve tension when remove the strut housing:

Use the pinch joint spreader to open up the joint:

After unclipping the engine bay trim pieces covering the strut towers, the three 16mm strut bolts and single E18 brace bolt are exposed. Remove these bolts but be sure to use the jack so that the hub is supported. You don’t want the hub dropping on your foot or the strut top hat smacking your fender!

Strut now dropped:

Because we will be pushing down on the strut and pulling it out of the wheel well, we want to make sure the fender paint is protected in case the top hat and fender edge make contact. Use a microfiber or shop rag to cover the top hat:

Angle the strut towards the rear of the car, I found this allowed for the best fender clearance. With one hand guiding the strut, use your foot to push down on the hub while pulling the strut out. Once out, MAKE SURE YOU DON’T LET THE STRUT HANG! Protect the wires and brake lines, be sure you’re monitoring for tension.

Wiggle the strut out and you’re done!

Installing the spring:

I prefer to tackle both struts at the same time, but be sure to mark which is the driver side. I used a Jegs decal but apparently the passenger side has black details on the sticker.

Use spring compressors, be sure that the bolts are facing DOWN. Again, impact wrenches make this job so much easier:

With the spring compressed, the top nut can be removed. I used a 6mm hex key and my pass through ratchet. Make sure the key is seated all the way, I’ve stripped a few of these in the past:

NOTE: DINAN says it’s necessary to use a shorter bump stop. My local BMW tuner, a DINAN certified shop and one of the best in the country, says this modification isn’t necessary. I did it anyways:

All the pieces, in assembly order except for the strut boot. Put the boot on after the spring is seated on the perch and make sure the grommet is inserted on the lower part of the top hat:

Installed. Notice the positioning of the spring pads top and rear. It is extremely important that the springs are seated properly. If you hear popping on your test drive, it’s likely due to an improperly seated spring. Luckily, BMW incorporates markers on the pads for proper positioning on the perch:

Reassembly is exactly the same as disassembly, but backwards. Not that bad, right?

Rear:

The rear isn’t really different from any multilink rear end setup. In comparison to the suspension upgrades I’ve done in the past, it doesn’t get much easier than this.

First, remove the rear leveling sensor. Like the front, pop the ball out of the socket:

Unscrew the four 10mm bolts holding the fancy aero plate to the lower control arm:

Unbolt the strut (18mm) and the knuckle (21mm) from the lower control arm:

Push down on the lower control arm and remove the spring. It’s that simple! Be sure to note the orientation of the lower spring pad. If you forget, the little alignment nipple on the underside passes through the hole closest to the hub.

Assembly is just the same as the disassembly. Like the front, use the floor jack to align the bolt holes. A screwdriver can also help with alignment. After tightening everything up, enjoy!

Last edited by Sail Boat; 10-27-2017 at 12:48 PM..
Appreciate 14
      08-14-2017, 10:29 AM   #2
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Excellent write up. Do you happen to have the torque specs of the bolts removed too?
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:05 AM   #3
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Excellent write up. Do you happen to have the torque specs of the bolts removed too?
Off the top of my head...

Rear Strut bolt 70ft/lb
Rear Knuckle Bolt 120 ft/lb

Top Hat Nut 45 ft/lb (hand torque gauge works just fine)
Top Hat bolts 25 ft/lb
Endlink nut 35 ft/lb (hand torque gauge works just fine)
Pinch Bolt 35 ft/lb
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 11:48 AM   #4
Sypher
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '16 228i xdrive

Pinch bolt is only 35ft-lb for this car? My previous Mazda 3 with a similar suspension setup required something like 70lb-ft... but the spindle also wasn't made out of aluminum.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 12:58 PM   #5
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sypher View Post
Pinch bolt is only 35ft-lb for this car? My previous Mazda 3 with a similar suspension setup required something like 70lb-ft... but the spindle also wasn't made out of aluminum.
Correct!
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 04:50 PM   #6
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sail Boat View Post
Correct!
No new bump stops on the rear? Saves the step of removing the rear shock to get at that bump stop,but the front stop is now shorter than the rear.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:13 PM   #7
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I actually purchased the rear bump stops as well, they are barely shorter... maybe half/quarter inch. My local BMW/DINAN shop has installed these springs on F22's before. Because so many customers were installing them without the shorter bump stops, they did some testing of their own and measured the travel of the strut before and after the spring install (to make sure they weren't doing their customers a disservice). They noted that the difference is negligible, likely do to the stiffened spring rate. The stock bump stops are good enough for the other spring manufacturers after all!

I suppose if one frequently drives their F22 packed to the gills with people or enjoys launching their car off hilly jumps, the bump stops would be a good idea... although if one is frequently slamming the bump stops, a change in driving habits should be the priority.

I installed the fronts because it was easy and didn't feel like dealing with the trunk trim tabs.
Plus if the ride quality isn't satisfactory with old stops,installing the new ones doesn't involve disassembling anything you already installed.
Thanks for the DIY it inspires me to do it myself and save the $900 plus I was quoted to put them on.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 08:57 PM   #8
XutvJet
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Cayman Base, 2016 M235

Really nice detailed write-up. Nice job. I had no idea there's such thing as a pinch bolt spreader. Must buy!

Just an FYI on a couple of things. Disconnecting the LCA isn't absolutely necessary. I believe what's posted is how BMW says to remove the front shocks, but all that's really needed is to remove the front shock assembly are the top bolts, swaybar endlink, the shock electronic plug, and pinch bolt. You can then push down slightly on the hub and strut assembly will slide out.

Also, bump stops in these cars, as for most late model cars, are actually part of the spring compression and rebound system. These suspensions are actually designed to routinely operate on the stop. The systems are ultimately a bump stop but they're also in a sense, a spring. So, if Dinan recommends different stops on both axles, I'd recommend doing it. The replacement part may be 1/4" shorter but it may be of a different durometer as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2017, 09:53 PM   #9
B58togo
Major
Rep
Drives: M240i

Damn, that house though!
      08-15-2017, 12:42 AM   #10
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by XutvJet View Post
Really nice detailed write-up. Nice job. I had no idea there's such thing as a pinch bolt spreader. Must buy!

Just an FYI on a couple of things. Disconnecting the LCA isn't absolutely necessary. I believe what's posted is how BMW says to remove the front shocks, but all that's really needed is to remove the front shock assembly are the top bolts, swaybar endlink, the shock electronic plug, and pinch bolt. You can then push down slightly on the hub and strut assembly will slide out.

Also, bump stops in these cars, as for most late model cars, are actually part of the spring compression and rebound system. These suspensions are actually designed to routinely operate on the stop. The systems are ultimately a bump stop but they're also in a sense, a spring. So, if Dinan recommends different stops on both axles, I'd recommend doing it. The replacement part may be 1/4" shorter but it may be of a different durometer as well.
On the LCA, I tried to get away with not unbolting it but had a very difficult time attempting to push down on the assembly enough to clear the fender. I'm sure it can be done, but with how easy it is to unbolt the LCA I thought it was a worthwhile step. The M2 is a different story though as the strut is shorter.

On the bump stops, I understand they are part of regular suspension stroke, but only to a point. That being said, my car feels excellent!
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2017, 09:49 PM   #11
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

I think i love you. Ive got the springs and bumps sitting in my living room awaiting install.
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 11:59 AM   #12
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
I think i love you. Ive got the springs and bumps sitting in my living room awaiting install.
Get after it! If you have any questions I'll do my best to respond quickly
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 12:51 PM   #13
gtmax500
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 MW M235xi

Garage List
2016 BMW M235xi  [0.00]
Just a heads up for you xdrive guys. This method doesn't work for the front coilovers. Okay it does but it's very difficult. The drive shaft (right word?) Keeps the hub from being pushed down enough to rotate the coilover out from under the fender.

After installing/uninstalling my camber plates a bunch of times I found it much easier to loosen the top hat bolts almost until they're out then lower just the hub while kinda twisting it.

Once the hub drops out you can very easily slide the coilover out. Much much easier in my opinion.

Might be easier for you rwd guys as well but I hope this helps someone!
Appreciate 0
      08-17-2017, 02:15 PM   #14
jmwilson125
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Get after it! If you have any questions I'll do my best to respond quickly
Unfortunately i have my next couple weekends already booked up 😭.

I have springs, bump stops, pure inlet, and DO stainless braided meth lines all waiting to be installed. Going to order ss brake lines too. I need to do a bleed so i am adding higher temp fluid and ss lines at yhe same time

CTA Tools 4005 Suspension Strut Housing Socket https://www.amazon.com/dp/B015Q1JNIM/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_rHELzb4C4G3NH

I was having some trouble finding that spreader tool. I found this one on amazon, but it looks like 3/8 drive. Do the dimensions for the tip look like what you have?
Appreciate 0
      08-19-2017, 06:47 PM   #15
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmwilson125 View Post
was having some trouble finding that spreader tool. I found this one on amazon, but it looks like 3/8 drive. Do the dimensions for the tip look like what you have?
I saw that one at Amazon too. I found a half inch drive at ECS Tuning/ Turner Motor Sports .They have the top hat nut removal tool also.( $15)
Says it fits our cars

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...-tool/scw3435/
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2017, 06:30 PM   #16
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
I saw that one at Amazon too. I found a half inch drive at ECS Tuning/ Turner Motor Sports .They have the top hat nut removal tool also.( $15)
Says it fits our cars

https://www.ecstuning.com/b-schwaben...-tool/scw3435/
That shwaben piece should work great!

My spreader tool came as part of a VW Group triple square bit/socket service set.
Appreciate 1
Tpeterson156.50
      08-21-2017, 11:34 PM   #17
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

+1 on not having to loosen the LCA's on the front.

I just did mine, and instead of rotating the front coilover out under the fender whilst still attached to the hub (which means you need extra clearance by loosening the LCA), twist whilst pulling the shock tube out of the hub first. Pushing down on the hub assembly helps. Once the damper is free of the hub move it to the rear and drop it down out of the top hat locator.

Doing it this way means you don't have to unplug anything.

It took me literally 10mins to remove each front damper, and that includes jacking up and removing the wheel.
Appreciate 1
JovanUK141.50
      08-22-2017, 10:12 PM   #18
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
+1 on not having to loosen the LCA's on the front.

I just did mine, and instead of rotating the front coilover out under the fender whilst still attached to the hub (which means you need extra clearance by loosening the LCA), twist whilst pulling the shock tube out of the hub first. Pushing down on the hub assembly helps. Once the damper is free of the hub move it to the rear and drop it down out of the top hat locator.

Doing it this way means you don't have to unplug anything.

It took me literally 10mins to remove each front damper, and that includes jacking up and removing the wheel.
Could be totally wrong, but don't you drive an F30? I really don't think its possible to remove them safely, meaning without scraping the fenders, without unbolting the LCA's...
Appreciate 0
      08-23-2017, 07:16 AM   #19
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Could be totally wrong, but don't you drive an F30? I really don't think its possible to remove them safely, meaning without scraping the fenders, without unbolting the LCA's...
Both my F30 and F22 have new suspension systems. I only did my M240i a couple of weeks ago. The trick is not to try 'rotate' the strut out of the fender whilst still in the hub. Instead leave one loose bolt in the top hat, with the hub flange expander tool in place, twist the damper to loosen it, then apply downwards pressure on the brake hub, pushing the LCA's down until the end of the damper is clear.

Aim the now free end of the damper into the free space behind the hub, remove the last top hat bolt and drop the damper down and out. Nowhere near your paintwork.

Actually I have to do it again soon (wrong springs supplied), so will take some pics.
Appreciate 2
Tpeterson156.50
JovanUK141.50
      08-24-2017, 10:15 PM   #20
SlickShift
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '11 BMW E90 M3 ZCP, '21 X5 ZMP

Thank you for the thorough DIY. Happy to see it's much less involved than the Z4M coilovers I did last year (don't ever disassemble a convertible top shelf).

Important question is how is the ride? I swore to never lower a car again but I can be swayed.
Retired: '00 323i, '06 325Ci, '09 135i, '06 Z4M Roadster, '93 525i, '76 2002, '14 X1, '14 M235i, '16 X4, '16 435i
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 05:33 PM   #21
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by NISFAN View Post
Both my F30 and F22 have new suspension systems. I only did my M240i a couple of weeks ago. The trick is not to try 'rotate' the strut out of the fender whilst still in the hub. Instead leave one loose bolt in the top hat, with the hub flange expander tool in place, twist the damper to loosen it, then apply downwards pressure on the brake hub, pushing the LCA's down until the end of the damper is clear.

Aim the now free end of the damper into the free space behind the hub, remove the last top hat bolt and drop the damper down and out. Nowhere near your paintwork.

Actually I have to do it again soon (wrong springs supplied), so will take some pics.
Awesome!!! Would be awesome if the LCA step can be skipped
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2017, 05:38 PM   #22
Sail Boat
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlickShift View Post
Thank you for the thorough DIY. Happy to see it's much less involved than the Z4M coilovers I did last year (don't ever disassemble a convertible top shelf).

Important question is how is the ride? I swore to never lower a car again but I can be swayed.
I was in the same boat as you, except with lowering springs. I've ruined a few cars with them!

I decided to try out these springs because Dinan let a bunch of auto journalists/YouTubers try out their fully catalogued M235i (includes the springs) and they all loved the ride.

Overall it feels practically the same. The only real difference is felt with the suspension in sport mode which is noticeably firmer. I personally don't think the car is under damped.
Appreciate 0