THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Trunk latch

05-16-2017, 09:19 AM   #1
Kidu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i EBII, RWD, 6spd

Trunk latch

First issue after 2 years of ownership - trunk latch quit working. It makes a chatter when you hit any of the 3 buttons and trunk will not open. Getting replaced under warranty, of course.
its interesting, there is no way to access the trunk from the inside, so its effectively locked out. In case this happens to any of you, if you press the button above the license plate and with your other hand wiggle the trunk lid, it will open eventually. Just in case you get stuck.

Also, since the car thinks the trunk is open, there is an alert in the screen and the rear camera will not work either.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 10:03 AM   #2
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

There should be a manual trunk release inside the trunk. Looks like a plastic triangle. You have to slide it off its attachment point point and then pull the attached wire which should unlock the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 12:29 PM   #3
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by USA-RET View Post
There should be a manual trunk release inside the trunk. Looks like a plastic triangle. You have to slide it off its attachment point point and then pull the attached wire which should unlock the trunk.
Yeah, there is, but that's not what the OP is talking about. You're talking about the child safety release in case a kid gets locked in the trunk, but the OP is saying there is no way to access the trunk in the event of the latch failing, because the handle to fold down the rear seats is INSIDE the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-16-2017, 02:38 PM   #4
USA-RET
Captain
Rep
Drives: Estoril Blue M240i

Ahh okay, got it.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 06:04 AM   #5
Luddy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i xdrive EBII

I experienced something similar when the electronics in my car went out last year and I couldn't start it or turn the tail lights off. The dealer couldn't get into the trunk to the battery so they had to take the rear seats out to get to the manual release. I found it pretty ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2017, 06:24 AM   #6
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

My M240 thinks the trunk is open sometimes after I close it, and I have to get out and close it a bit harder. It always latches, but on occasion, it doesn't always register with the sensor.

OP, did your issue start like this? I'm about 3000miles away from my 10K service, so I'm going to have it investigated. Hoping it doesn't progress before then.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 12:43 AM   #7
aerobod
Car Geek
Rep
Drives: Caterham R500, M2-G87, Macan S

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCaptain View Post
Yeah, there is, but that's not what the OP is talking about. You're talking about the child safety release in case a kid gets locked in the trunk, but the OP is saying there is no way to access the trunk in the event of the latch failing, because the handle to fold down the rear seats is INSIDE the trunk.
My M240i has a trunk pass through behind the armrest, so opening that allows access to the seat release levers by opening the pass through, reaching inside the trunk, then releasing the seat lever. It is then easy to get to the child release to open the trunk.
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2017, 01:31 PM   #8
DrunkPandaBear
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

My trunk no longer "opens" when I press the button. It still unlocks, but I miss it flying open at my command
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 06:47 AM   #9
TheCaptain
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i x 'vert

Quote:
Originally Posted by aerobod View Post
My M240i has a trunk pass through behind the armrest, so opening that allows access to the seat release levers by opening the pass through, reaching inside the trunk, then releasing the seat lever. It is then easy to get to the child release to open the trunk.
That makes a lot of sense. The convertible doesn't have that, the folding part of the back seat is just a solid panel. It's probably because the seating area is narrower to make room for the folding top mechanism.
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:03 AM   #10
Cumberlandjames
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i Xdrive cabriolet

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrunkPandaBear View Post
My trunk no longer "opens" when I press the button. It still unlocks, but I miss it flying open at my command
Do you mean your trunk lid actually "lifts?" My M235 convertible unlocks but just lays there until you manually lift it. Never has opened which I always thought strange. Just assumed it was a BMW thing. Does everyone elses "fly"open?
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 07:30 AM   #11
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I have a friend who has a line of fishing line tied to that handle, and run up into the passenger compartment, so that if it locks out he can (hopefully) pull the emergency release handle (in my beater-tuner days, this used to be standard practice to have this type of backup rather than taking the whole end of the car apart, if you can't reach up to the latch). Haven't done it myself on the 228, thinking it is probably overkill. I do tend to forget this, as all my past cars had a seat release inside the passenger compartment (another victim of the 'button count Nazi's' no doubt). Haven't managed to lock my keys in there yet, though.

And I think only the euro/Canadian cars have that pass through, or the rear seat armrest (unless I'm really stupid and haven't figured out how to open it - that will give me an excuse to go out to the car to check at lunchtime).

(confirmed, no pass through on mine; and FWIW my trunk never moved up more than a quarter inch at release, you can easily miss seeing it move)

Last edited by Maynard; 05-20-2017 at 09:44 AM.. Reason: update
Appreciate 0
      05-19-2017, 03:25 PM   #12
DrunkPandaBear
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cumberlandjames View Post
Do you mean your trunk lid actually "lifts?" My M235 convertible unlocks but just lays there until you manually lift it. Never has opened which I always thought strange. Just assumed it was a BMW thing. Does everyone elses "fly"open?
Lol for the first 2 months I owned the car it actually flew open, which made me happy. Now it just unlocks

Curious how to get it back into that sweet NBA Jam hangtime state...
Appreciate 0