THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Oil Catch Can and Value

Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-26-2016, 04:47 PM   #1
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Oil Catch Can and Value

So, I installed an Oil Catch Can within the first 100 miles of ownership. I set a schedule to inspect and clean it every 30 days. The first 6 months only required a wipe with minimal oil residue.

I have let it go for almost 9 months now and removed it yesterday due to a broken black security tab (vibration and/or wear) and noticed that it was 3/4's full of oil!

There have been a couple of threads inquiring about the validity/usefulness of this mod, and I can now say for sure that it is pulling lots of oil from our intake / IC.

To dark for pics today, but hope to get one tomorrow to post for everyone.
Appreciate 0
      12-26-2016, 10:35 PM   #2
Beartato
Major
Beartato's Avatar
860
Rep
1,205
Posts

Drives: M235i
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Utah

iTrader: (0)

9 months and 3/4s full? Run for the hills!

Remember early direct injection cars where every other week you'd need to empty your catch can otherwise clean your valves every 10K miles? Pepperidge Farm remembers.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 09:03 AM   #3
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
Tpeterson's Avatar
United_States
153
Rep
581
Posts

Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Eagan Mn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
So, I installed an Oil Catch Can within the first 100 miles of ownership. I set a schedule to inspect and clean it every 30 days. The first 6 months only required a wipe with minimal oil residue.

I have let it go for almost 9 months now and removed it yesterday due to a broken black security tab (vibration and/or wear) and noticed that it was 3/4's full of oil!

There have been a couple of threads inquiring about the validity/usefulness of this mod, and I can now say for sure that it is pulling lots of oil from our intake / IC.

To dark for pics today, but hope to get one tomorrow to post for everyone.
How many miles did you put on the car in those nine months? That would be a better indicator than time.
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 02:56 PM   #4
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tpeterson View Post
How many miles did you put on the car in those nine months? That would be a better indicator than time.
Good Thought, she currently has 27K on her.

This is what was left (about half full) after I spilled lots all over me :

Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:13 PM   #5
BMWZ4
Brigadier General
BMWZ4's Avatar
Canada
916
Rep
3,314
Posts

Drives: 2018 X1 & 2020 X3MC
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Why is it Yellow?
__________________
'11 Z4 30i (sold);'11 X3 28i (sold); '15 M235i Stage 1 Dinan (recalled); '16 M235i Stage 3 Dinan (sold); '15 X3 28i (sold); '14 328i (sold), 2019 X3M40i (sold); Loaded '18 X1; Loaded '20 X3MC Donnington, Black/Tan Merino
Appreciate 0
      12-27-2016, 03:26 PM   #6
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWZ4 View Post
Why is it Yellow?
Don't know, moisture and oil? That is how it came out of the car!
Appreciate 1
BMWZ4916.00

      12-27-2016, 07:37 PM   #7
Tpeterson
Lieutenant
Tpeterson's Avatar
United_States
153
Rep
581
Posts

Drives: 228i MSport/THP/MT/
Join Date: Feb 2015
Location: Eagan Mn

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
Don't know, moisture and oil? That is how it came out of the car!
Yeah, probably moisture. Seems to be doing its job: keeping that crud out of the intake system!
Appreciate 0
      12-28-2016, 03:39 PM   #8
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
CalCarNut's Avatar
United_States
1047
Rep
3,259
Posts

Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Blue Skies

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
this makes me think it is a worthwhile mod to do..........

Thanks, OpenAir!
__________________
2015 BMW F36 428i JetBlack. Sport Line Edition
25% 3M Tint|
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:17 AM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11765
Rep
127,557
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Glad that the OCC is doing its job
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:20 AM   #10
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
In retrospect, best mod I've ever done!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2016, 10:21 AM   #11
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
mike@x-ph.com's Avatar
United_States
11765
Rep
127,557
Posts

Drives: 2007 e92 335i / 2013 F30 328
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Las Vegas

iTrader: (20)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
In retrospect, best mod I've ever done!!!
Appreciate 0
      12-31-2016, 02:09 PM   #12
Dylan86
Colonel
Dylan86's Avatar
Canada
1217
Rep
2,162
Posts

Drives: Hard
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: GTA

iTrader: (0)

Wow that's a lot man. Good thing you had the OCC hooked up prior to the accumulation. That is the colour that the oil/condensation looks like by the time it's captured, so not to worry. Also, do you have a tune and mods on your car? Something tells me I've seen you post about tuning etc, so that would probably add to the blow by, with the extra crankcase pressure. Not uncommon at all, really, especially in these 2.0T engines (worse when tuned).

D
__________________
Appreciate 0
      01-01-2017, 08:39 AM   #13
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan86 View Post
Wow that's a lot man. Good thing you had the OCC hooked up prior to the accumulation. That is the colour that the oil/condensation looks like by the time it's captured, so not to worry. Also, do you have a tune and mods on your car? Something tells me I've seen you post about tuning etc, so that would probably add to the blow by, with the extra crankcase pressure. Not uncommon at all, really, especially in these 2.0T engines (worse when tuned).

D
I had a tune for a short 6 months with minimal hard running...I'm now back on stock ECU.
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 02:50 PM   #14
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
SteveInfante's Avatar
United_States
561
Rep
2,084
Posts

Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbia, SC

iTrader: (0)

Which OCC is that?
__________________
328 F31 xDrive/OSM/Venetian Luxury Line/Cold Weather/Premium/Driving Assist/Nav/Tech "Golden Goose"
78' Honda CB400A project
http://www.instagram.com/steve_inf31
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:18 PM   #15
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Which OCC is that?
Burger Tuning
Appreciate 0
      01-02-2017, 07:20 PM   #16
SteveInfante
NewFinishColumbia/detailer
SteveInfante's Avatar
United_States
561
Rep
2,084
Posts

Drives: 2015 F31 xDrive
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Columbia, SC

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveInfante View Post
Which OCC is that?
Burger Tuning
Thanks.
__________________
328 F31 xDrive/OSM/Venetian Luxury Line/Cold Weather/Premium/Driving Assist/Nav/Tech "Golden Goose"
78' Honda CB400A project
http://www.instagram.com/steve_inf31
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2017, 02:13 PM   #17
bmw_fascinated
Private
bmw_fascinated's Avatar
13
Rep
89
Posts

Drives: F22 228i
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

very interesting - was it a lot work to install this?
Does the design really have no air restrictions and won't affect the engine power? Does someone know if this is street legal in Germany (the California emission guidelines banner concerns me)?
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 12:37 PM   #18
CalCarNut
Brigadier General
CalCarNut's Avatar
United_States
1047
Rep
3,259
Posts

Drives: 2015 F36 Jet Black Sport Line
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Blue Skies

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
I had a tune for a short 6 months with minimal hard running...I'm now back on stock ECU.
No more Enzo tune?
__________________
2015 BMW F36 428i JetBlack. Sport Line Edition
25% 3M Tint|
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2017, 10:35 PM   #19
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw_fascinated View Post
very interesting - was it a lot work to install this?
Does the design really have no air restrictions and won't affect the engine power? Does someone know if this is street legal in Germany (the California emission guidelines banner concerns me)?
I ran it with an Enzo tune and FBO, no issues that I could tell.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 09:01 AM   #20
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by CalCarNut View Post
No more Enzo tune?
Nope, not for a long time. I've given up on trying to contact them and make an appointment to have it re-flashed.
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 12:57 PM   #21
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
bryan_G01's Avatar
1114
Rep
1,926
Posts

Drives: x3 m40
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NY

iTrader: (0)

Call Enzo directly: (631) 920-6699

or msg him on facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/tunedbyenzo/?fref=ts

He is very responsive via fbook chat.
__________________
www.nybmwcca.org
Current Cars:
1995 M3 Coupe Manual Alpine White
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      01-05-2017, 05:10 PM   #22
OpenAir
Captain
OpenAir's Avatar
United_States
386
Rep
884
Posts

Drives: Enzo F23 228i
Join Date: May 2015
Location: MD, USA

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
Call Enzo directly: (631) 920-6699

or msg him on facebook page:
https://www.facebook.com/tunedbyenzo/?fref=ts

He is very responsive via fbook chat.
Been there, done that...way too many times.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off



All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:41 AM.




2addicts
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST