THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Bavsound F22 speakers available for pre-order.

03-03-2016, 10:38 AM   #1
chemh0ser
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M235ix Mineral Grey

Bavsound F22 speakers available for pre-order.

I was on the Bavsound website and it seems their F22 drop in replacement kit is now available for pre-order with delivery estimated some time in June.
2015 ///M235iX | Mineral Grey | Dakota Black | Premium | Tech | Cold | Driver Ast | HK Sound | Black Kidney Grilles | M-Performance Exhaust | Front Splitter | Carbon Fiber Mirror Caps, Rear Spoiler and Exhaust Finishers
Appreciate 2
      03-07-2016, 12:17 PM   #2
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i (holy crap!)

Standard HIFI replacement kit:

Center Channel: BAVSOUND 4" 3-Leg Neo, Flush Flange, Center Channel HIFI $99

Front Door Midranges: BAVSOUND 4" 3-Leg Neodymium, Offset Flange, Pair HIFI $159

Front Door Tweeters: (2) BAVSOUND 25mm Silk Tweeter $189

Rear Shelf Midranges: BAVSOUND 4" 3-Leg Neodymium, Flush Flange, Pair HIFI $159

Underseat Woofers: Not Replaced

Front door tweeters? Will these fit behind the front door speaker screen? Or will we have to buy A-pillar sails?
      03-08-2016, 12:09 PM   #3
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 6MT Mineral White M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon

Front Door Midranges: BAVSOUND 4" 3-Leg Neodymium, Offset Flange, Pair HIFI $159

Front door tweeters? Will these fit behind the front door speaker screen? Or will we have to buy A-pillar sails?
I was wondering the same thing. Also, the hi-fi kit doesn't come with rear tweeters. That'll need to be taken into account when getting Bimmertech amp tunes I guess?

6MT Mineral White on black M235i coupe
Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:09 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Quote:
Originally Posted by BentZero View Post
Also, the hi-fi kit doesn't come with rear tweeters. That'll need to be taken into account when getting Bimmertech amp tunes I guess?
That's because there are no rear tweeters in a 2-series HiFi system. This is a replacement set, after all ... and Bavsound had to semi-retrofit a component set for the front doors because it would have otherwise needed to develop a coaxial from scratch. Guess what's cheaper (and, frankly, makes more sense)?

The above is one of a number of reasons why Bimmertech amp DSP tunes should be specific to 2-series cars only. Despite some parts sharing, the 2-series audio system and anyother-series audio systems are very, very different. It's part of the reason Bavsound took so long to develop a 2-series kit (and likely why it doesn't recommend a Ghost sub for its 2-series kit).
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 02:56 PM   #5
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike
Quote:
Also, the hi-fi kit doesn't come with rear tweeters. That'll need to be taken into account when getting Bimmertech amp tunes I guess?
That's because there are no rear tweeters in a 2-series HiFi system. This is a replacement set, after all ... and Bavsound had to semi-retrofit a component set for the front doors because it would have otherwise needed to develop a coaxial from scratch. Guess what's cheaper (and, frankly, makes more sense)?

The above is one of a number of reasons why Bimmertech amp DSP tunes should be specific to 2-series cars only. Despite some parts sharing, the 2-series audio system and anyother-series audio systems are very, very different. It's part of the reason Bavsound took so long to develop a 2-series kit (and likely why it doesn't recommend a Ghost sub for its 2-series kit).
Yeah, I figured that the hi-fi option didn't have rear tweeters. I was just clarifying that us non-HK guys will need a specific tune. Basically hi-fi vs HK. I'm actually kinda glad that they didn't make a coaxial speaker. Mainly a personal preference. I'm sure there's information out there saying why I do want a coaxial speaker.

Weird that they don't recommend the subs though. I definitely plan on getting them. :/

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:24 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm actually kinda glad that they didn't make a coaxial speaker. Mainly a personal preference. I'm sure there's information out there saying why I do want a coaxial speaker.

Weird that they don't recommend the subs though. I definitely plan on getting them. :/
That's why I said "(and, frankly, makes more sense)" in my original post: components are almost always superior to coaxials. Since Bavsound has already developed component sets, it makes sense for it to adapt a product it already has to the 2-series platform -- even if it means designing a, or adapting an existing, sail panel for the tweeters for it.

(All that said, there are some damn good coaxials out there.)

Thing is, there are cutouts for rear-deck tweeters in the 2-series HiFi system. I'm more than surprised that Bavsound didn't adapt its tweeters for that location for HiFi as well. The only reason I can think of as to why it didn't is power-related: the HiFi OEM amp simply doesn't have the juice to drive four separate Bavsound speakers on the rear channels.

Remember -- this is important to keep in mind -- Bavsound's speakers are designed to make the OEM system sound better -- not a system with any other aftermarket add-ons.

If I had an aftermarket amp, I would contact Bavsound and ask about the possibility of running its component set on the rear channels -- particularly if you've eliminated ASD in some way (harness, coding, or gain adjustment). I strongly suspect the lack of OEM power is the reason it didn't go that route with the standard 2-series set.
Appreciate 1
      03-08-2016, 03:43 PM   #7
yusephj
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M Sport

Will the ASD have to be coded off after these speakers are installed?
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 03:54 PM   #8
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Most people have reported that ASD is pretty obnoxious after upgrading audio. Initially I was going to code it out, but some have reported that there's a high pitched whine associated with ASD amp and that using Technic's ASD "bypass" harness eliminates it.

Idk. I'll look for it tomorrow when I finally get my car. One more day...........
Appreciate 0
      03-08-2016, 08:24 PM   #9
akuan99
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 228i M-Sport Track 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Thing is, there are cutouts for rear-deck tweeters in the 2-series HiFi system. I'm more than surprised that Bavsound didn't adapt its tweeters for that location for HiFi as well. The only reason I can think of as to why it didn't is power-related: the HiFi OEM amp simply doesn't have the juice to drive four separate Bavsound speakers on the rear channels.

There are cutout on rear deck speaker location for tweeters but the speaker grills have no holes over the tweeter location.
I know this because that was one factor I took into account when I was choosing between coax and components.
I actually had some component speakers from my previous car that I was going to use but decided to buy a second pair of coaxials to match the front ones.
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2016, 03:14 PM   #10
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Tweeter for standard hifi goes behind the speaker cover in the door. That was all the info I got (the rest of the email was paragraph after paragraph of sales boilerplate). Too bad. I wouldn't have minded a sail cover with the pretty good looking Bavsound logo.
      03-18-2016, 03:19 PM   #11
BentZero
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by CanadianGatorBacon View Post
Tweeter for standard hifi goes behind the speaker cover in the door. That was all the info I got (the rest of the email was paragraph after paragraph of sales boilerplate). Too bad. I wouldn't have minded a sail cover with the pretty good looking Bavsound logo.
Someone posted the part number for the Alpine door sail on here somewhere. It comes with an optional Alpine nameplate though. It would have been cool to have a Bavsound nameplate. Maybe we can escalate to someone at Bav. I'd imagine that it wouldn't be too expensive for them to produce.

Build thread
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 09:36 PM   #12
Solarphil
Private
Rep
Drives: Nickole - MG & CR M235i

Got an email this morning that the HK kit is now available for preorder. Five mid ranges, five tweeters. I look forward to seeing/hearing how it all fits together :-)

(2) BAVSOUND 25mm Silk Tweeter with Oval Mount
(2) BAVSOUND 4" 3-Leg Midrange (Neodymium) w/ Flush Flange, 4 Ohm
(2) BAVSOUND 25mm Silk Tweeter
(2) BAVSOUND 4" 3-Leg Midrange (Neodymium) w/ Offset Flange, 4 Ohm
(1) BAVSOUND 25mm Silk Tweeter with Oval Mount
(1) BAVSOUND 4" 3-Leg Midrange (Neodymium) w/ Flush Flange, 4 Ohm
(2) BAVSOUND Plug & Play Tweeter Harness with Integrated Filter
(2) BAVSOUND Gasket for 100mm 3-Leg Midrange
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2016, 10:37 PM   #13
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:

Huh, just looked at the Bavsound site again for the standard HIFI kit, and it's changed:

Center Channel: BAVSOUND 4" (100mm) 3-Leg Point Source Neodymium Coaxial, Flush Flange, Pair $169

Front Door Speakers: BAVSOUND 4" (100mm) 3-Leg Point Source Neodymium Coaxial w/ Inline Filter, Offset Flange, Pair $299

Rear Speakers: BAVSOUND 4" (100mm) 3-Leg Point Source Neodymium Coaxial, Flush Flange, Pair $299

Underseat Woofers: Not Replaced, Available Separately

Seems like what originally looked like component mids and tweeters for the front doors are now coaxial. Also, the center channel and rears now look like coaxial tweeters and mids instead of just mids. All of the prices are different too, understandably.

(Yes I quoted my own previous post)
      03-30-2016, 08:12 AM   #14
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Quote:
Huh, just looked at the Bavsound site again for the standard HIFI kit, and it's changed:

Center Channel: BAVSOUND 4" (100mm) 3-Leg Point Source Neodymium Coaxial, Flush Flange, Pair $169

Front Door Speakers: BAVSOUND 4" (100mm) 3-Leg Point Source Neodymium Coaxial w/ Inline Filter, Offset Flange, Pair $299

Rear Speakers: BAVSOUND 4" (100mm) 3-Leg Point Source Neodymium Coaxial, Flush Flange, Pair $299

Underseat Woofers: Not Replaced, Available Separately

Seems like what originally looked like component mids and tweeters for the front doors are now coaxial. Also, the center channel and rears now look like coaxial tweeters and mids instead of just mids. All of the prices are different too, understandably.

(Yes I quoted my own previous post)
Bacon, they have changed it twice now. Yesterday afternoon it was changed to simply door and rear speakers (four in total). I just checked again, and now the center channel is included for five speakers in total. The good news is, it is still the same price. Are you going to order it? I'm on the fence.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:45 AM   #15
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Ok, I went back and looked at my e-mails and I had a promo code for $100 off, so I got the whole set for $397. So that is much less than buying someone else's speakers and then dealing with the wires and spacers, plus I get the center channel... yup, this is worth the risk of being the test dummy.

Other items of interest... Even though the web page said this would be ready to ship in June, at checkout the page said it would ship April 13?? Which one do you think is correct??

Also, the invoice says I will get a pair of 4 inch speakers for the center channel... How can that be right? Are there two speakers in there???

I may give them a call or e-mail them for clarification on this information.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 08:55 AM   #16
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Sounds like their having some issues getting the right info up on the web. Seems like a silly problem to have. Maybe another email is in order.

How did you get the promo code?
      03-30-2016, 10:20 AM   #17
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Coaxials. Well I'll be damned.

Now we know why it took so long for this to come to market: Bavsound did, indeed, need to come up with one.

Legal Bill : So you did order this Hi-Fi kit? I'm personally very curious to see what this "inline filter" is for the front door speakers. If you got this for that price, it's a very good price. ($397 for five good-quality drop-in speakers is a good deal anywhere).

As for others ... I'd seriously wait until solid and consistent info is either on Bavsound's website or supplied in a dedicated email without a sales pitch. I'd also look for a 2 series-specific install video to pop up on Bavsound's YT channel soon.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 11:42 AM   #18
CanadianGatorBacon
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legal Bill View Post
Other items of interest... Even though the web page said this would be ready to ship in June, at checkout the page said it would ship April 13?? Which one do you think is correct??
April 8th now on the site. Just emailed them to confirm what is in the kit. Will update when I heard back.
      03-30-2016, 12:33 PM   #19
OpenAir
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Enzo F23 228i

Garage List
2015 BMW 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
Sounds like their having some issues getting the right info up on the web. Seems like a silly problem to have. Maybe another email is in order.

How did you get the promo code?
NEOLAUNCH
Appreciate 2
      03-30-2016, 01:47 PM   #20
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I called and left a message. No call back yet. Please let me know if any of you hear anything. I'm concerned about the box showing up after April 12 due to some traveling I have on the schedule.
Appreciate 1
      03-30-2016, 01:48 PM   #21
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by OpenAir View Post
NEOLAUNCH
Yup. Came in an e-mail.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 02:06 PM   #22
Legal Bill
Second Lieutenant
Rep

I just got off the phone with them. The speakers will ship in April!
Appreciate 1