THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Quick question about catless downpipe

02-29-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
rdgray
Rep
Drives: 2015 M235i

Quick question about catless downpipe

Sorry if this has been answered before... I just installed an ER catless down pipe on my car. As expected, my P3 gauge is showing a 0036 CEL. However, my check engine light has not come on at all. I have driven around for quite awhile now (100+miles) and no check engine light has appeared. Is this normal or is the P3 gauge preventing the light from turning on, or am I just lucky? no other relevant mods have been done to the car.

-Thanks
Appreciate 0
      02-29-2016, 09:53 PM   #2
StarMan
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 17' M2

Give it time...the CEL will come
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:06 PM   #3
pimp4cheddar
El Capitán
United_States
Rep
Drives: BSM X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by starvmarv View Post
Give it time...the CEL will come
HAHAHA

I had my intake for 2 days before my CEL "ENGINE" Light came on.

The DP will for sure throw a light...

From what I've read the JB4 cures all...
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 12:22 PM   #4
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

yes JB4 will auto clear the code. It may or may not come on depending on spacers.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:09 PM   #5
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
Originally Posted by rdgray View Post
Sorry if this has been answered before... I just installed an ER catless down pipe on my car. As expected, my P3 gauge is showing a 0036 CEL. However, my check engine light has not come on at all. I have driven around for quite awhile now (100+miles) and no check engine light has appeared. Is this normal or is the P3 gauge preventing the light from turning on, or am I just lucky? no other relevant mods have been done to the car.

-Thanks
You will eventually get an engine code unless you have a JB4

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:36 PM   #6
rdgray
Rep

Thanks for the input. I just thought it was weird that the P3 gauge was seeing a code, but the check engine light hasn't come on. I guess I will have to wait and see what happens. As far as tunes are concerned, I'm still bitter about COBB not offering anything and piggy-backs aren't really my personal preference. The code doesn't really bother me at the moment and I have a shady mechanic that will pass the car's inspection haha
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 02:45 PM   #7
Luminous
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2019 M5 Competition

I'd recommend the Enzo ecu tune if you want to avoid piggybacks, he can remove the cel as well.

2015 SO M3 6MT

2015 BSM M235xi
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:03 PM   #8
rdgray
Rep

doesn't the Enzo tune require you to send them your ecu? I'm not cool with that. A proper tuning company provides the software for the user to flash the ecu from their pc. On the very rare occasion that I might need to visit the dealership, I need the ability to flash my ecu back to the stock map. I also want an open source option such as COBB's Accesstuner program so I can make adjustments or design my own map when adding on minor modifications. By requiring me to physically send them my ecu, they are holding me hostage to their services. I am not about to become a slave to a tuning company. Its a typical marketing/business ploy with tuning companies that service higher-end vehicles. Until someone comes out with a tuning suite similar to the Accessport and Accesstuner, I will hold off.
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:07 PM   #9
mike@x-ph.com
Joint Chiefs of Staff
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07-335/12-328/18-M4/21-M4CP

Quote:
doesn't the Enzo tune require you to send them your ecu? I'm not cool with that. A proper tuning company provides the software for the user to flash the ecu from their pc. On the very rare occasion that I might need to visit the dealership, I need the ability to flash my ecu back to the stock map. I also want an open source option such as COBB's Accesstuner program so I can make adjustments or design my own map when adding on minor modifications. By requiring me to physically send them my ecu, they are holding me hostage to their services. I am not about to become a slave to a tuning company. Its a typical marketing/business ploy with tuning companies that service higher-end vehicles. Until someone comes out with a tuning suite similar to the Accessport and Accesstuner, I will hold off.
At this time its not a matter of choice. Tuners do not have the capability to offer a solution similar to Cobb on the F chassis (which is why COBB did not develop a tune for this chassis)

If you are worried about your dealership , get the Jb stage 1 and remove it before your scheduled visit

Phone number 702-494-9435
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:08 PM   #10
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Dude Cobb for BMW's were piece of shit. You got alot of power out of it, but everyone i ever talked to that had a n54/n55 cobb tuned all had the same problems. No matter what stage or map.

Their support was horrible, and you had to change plugs every week.
It was completely unreliable.

When i bought my 235 i figured id use the cobb with it, no support. I since put it in the 535 on a stage 1 tune.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-01-2016, 07:23 PM   #11
rdgray
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_e90 View Post
Dude Cobb for BMW's were piece of shit. You got alot of power out of it, but everyone i ever talked to that had a n54/n55 cobb tuned all had the same problems. No matter what stage or map.

Their support was horrible, and you had to change plugs every week.
It was completely unreliable.

When i bought my 235 i figured id use the cobb with it, no support. I since put it in the 535 on a stage 1 tune.
Really? I'm surprised to hear that. The only experience I've had with COBB is with their Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Nissan offerings. Perhaps they have gone downhill in the recent years. the stage 1 tunes for these cars look very convincing, but after looking at the AFR graph, It seems kind of lean. Most turbo DI engines that I have logged like to run in the high 11s-low 12s. the logs that I have seen for this car at stage 1 are between 13-15. Is that an acceptable range for this car?
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 07:54 AM   #12
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

Quote:
Really? I'm surprised to hear that. The only experience I've had with COBB is with their Subaru, Mitsubishi, and Nissan offerings. Perhaps they have gone downhill in the recent years. the stage 1 tunes for these cars look very convincing, but after looking at the AFR graph, It seems kind of lean. Most turbo DI engines that I have logged like to run in the high 11s-low 12s. the logs that I have seen for this car at stage 1 are between 13-15. Is that an acceptable range for this car?
Seems accurate. My 535 on a stage 1 cobb is around 14-17 lbs, where the Dinan st 2 on the m235 is 10-12psi.

I would say Cobb is really good for the cars you mentioned but the BMW side of the house had alot of issues. Probably why they stopped tuning for them.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 0
      03-02-2016, 02:07 PM   #13
rdgray
Rep

oops I meant air-fuel ratios and not boost. I thought the safe range for DI turbo motors is between 11:1 - 12.5:1. The graphs that I have seen with stage 1 tunes are between 13:1 - 15:1 which seems a bit on the lean side. maybe I'm wrong though.
Appreciate 0