THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Aux In sound issue: Bad part? With a Service Bulletin to boot?

02-03-2016, 03:13 PM   #1
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '18 black-n-blue 718 Cayman

Aux In sound issue: Bad part? With a Service Bulletin to boot?

During the past few days, my Aux In jack has refused to keep solid contact to any male mini stereo plug. It's a seating issue: three different male-male leads of varying quality and plug jacket thicknesses all have the same issue: they won't fully seat in the jack. I have to apply downward/sideways pressure to get proper stereo sound through the system.

Because I've done a mod adjacent to the jack assembly (I've run a 6-foot USB-to-Lightning cable from the seam between the Aux In/USB jack assembly and its mount to the steering column) I wasn't even going to bother making a warranty claim: I was going to buy a new jack assembly, which runs about $42. Then, on realoem.com, I found something very interesting (see the screen shot):

Part No. 2 (84109229246) is what's in my car -- and most BMWs for several years, according to realoem.com and several other sources. Its exterior is made completely of plastic.
However, note the text beneath that says "PuMA Measure 50846701: No reproduction of audio files through AUX IN port or poor sound quality" Through some online cross checking, this corresponds to SIB M65 03 12 (SIB = Service Issue Bulletin) -- issued in the USA in 2012 originally for MINIs that use the same jack. The issue? "Audio issues when external device is connected to the AUX In".

Well hell. So:

Part No. 3 (84109229247) appears to be identical except for:
- a narrow metal upper plug guide/retention ring
- A beefed-up harness and subassembly for the Aux In side
According to realoem.com, this part has also been used on most BMWs since 2011 -- including the 2-series. Um ... what?

This all begs a few questions for me:
- Should I buy Part No. 3 to replace my plainly defective OEM part (Part No. 2)?
- Is Part No. 3, which costs roughly the same as Part No. 2, a redesigned/improved part meant as a replacement for Part No. 2, or is it used with certain audio options (HK)? Odd that no note of this is made for either part anywhere ...
- Why has BMW been fitting what is apparently a subpar part in its cars for nearly four years after the service bulletin was issued?
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 06:12 PM   #2
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 228i Coupe, M Sport, 6MT

Garage List
Just out of curiosity, why are you using AUX? USB has superior sound quality.
      02-03-2016, 11:13 PM   #3
e30if
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 1991 318is, 2010 M3

I've had the exact same issue with my AUX port since day 1, was going to mention it at my next service I've just been lazy on it. I'd be willing to bet BMW has been using those plugs since they'll have had a huge supply of them to get through and they figure people like me just won't care enough to get it changed out before the warranty is up. It's all about the numbers and this isn't exactly a safety item to warrant a recall or anything, seems like it isn't every plug that ends up bad either.
Appreciate 0
      02-03-2016, 11:52 PM   #4
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderwasthebass
Just out of curiosity, why are you using AUX? USB has superior sound quality.
Because USB actually doesn't offer the best sound quality. Do a search for my screen name on this subforum, particularly with terms such as 'downconvert' and 'DMP'. You'll learn that the HU does some funky things with digital inputs. Meanwhile, an analog input is as good as what you feed it, and it bypasses the HU's digital signal processing.
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 01:02 PM   #5
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Because USB actually doesn't offer the best sound quality. Do a search for my screen name on this subforum, particularly with terms such as 'downconvert' and 'DMP'. You'll learn that the HU does some funky things with digital inputs. Meanwhile, an analog input is as good as what you feed it, and it bypasses the HU's digital signal processing.
Hmmmm, interesting. Will have to test this in my car and use AUX to see how it sounds.

But I hear what you are saying about the aux jack being defective. I've seen it on several BMW's. One thing I see most often is that the aux plug needs to be pushed in the port HARD for it to seat all the way.
      02-04-2016, 02:35 PM   #6
Viffermike
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by murderwasthebass View Post
One thing I see most often is that the aux plug needs to be pushed in the port HARD for it to seat all the way.
Exactly. That's the issue I'm having.

It does look like Part #3 uses a different harness (square; can't tell from pictures how many prongs) than Part #2 (rectangular 4-prong), so ordering it would entail replacing the harness as well, which is a job I'm not willing to tackle.

Does anybody have Part #3 on their 2-series? I have the Hi-Fi stereo and the Tech Package; I'm thinking Part #3 might be either an HK-specific part or a non-Tech Package-specific part. The tell is the thickness of the input's ring surround; it's wide and flat on Part #2, and narrow and rounded on Part #3.

I'm going to ask BMW about this. Just not sure when ...
Appreciate 0
      02-04-2016, 10:09 PM   #7
murderwasthebass
Private
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viffermike View Post
Ok. Just listened to a 30 second segment of a few different songs back to back between USB and AUX and was not able to hear any difference at all. Ill stick with USB, especially for the charging capability and being able to control the music through the cars controls...plus album artwork and seeing the info on the Control Display.

Going back to your original thread subject, I pulled out the aux/usb unit on a 2016 340i with HK and it was style number 2 from your diagram.
      02-05-2016, 01:19 AM   #8
2msport
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 228 MT

I had the issue as well. Really a piece of shit connector. Shame on bmw.
Appreciate 0