E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Water Pump Stays Running... HELP!

12-11-2015, 11:17 AM   #1
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 535i | 2015 BMW X5

Water Pump Stays Running... HELP!

Okay guys, I have a 2007 e90 BMW 335i. About a month ago, my car overheated due to a water pump failure. My brothers shop replaced both the thermostat and water pump with OEM parts and everything was fine.

3 weeks later, I started having issues with the alternator which stopped working. Replaced that with an aftermarket Bosch alternator, and was running into some weird issues where it wasn't charging all the time. The only way I could "force" it to start charging, was by revving my engine past 5K RPM (weird, I know).

After a lot of research, it was determined the alternator was bad which apparently is not uncommon. Took the car to the shop, replaced the alternator with a new one, but now they ran into a new problem. Once they connected the battery, the water pump turned on (car was off), and it will just continue to run without stopping. It will basically keep running until it drains the battery completely.

My brothers shop does not specialize in BMW's, but they've checked everything possible. All connections are good, but we just can't figure out what the problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this before I decide to send it to the dealer and get my head ripped off? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Uploaded an audio clip to YouTube so you can hear what the pump does when the battery is connected. Listen until the end when it goes and stays at full speed!

UPDATE:

After some additional testing, we determined it was the pump that was bad. Called the dealer since it was only a month old, and they had me bring the car in with the pump installed. They diagnosed it and confirmed it was the pump. They took care of replacing it all under warranty (thought that was pretty cool), and everything seems to be back to normal now. We even swapped the alternator back for the OEM one, and it has had no problems.

Last edited by RobertoTaylor; 12-29-2015 at 02:56 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:22 AM   #2
dtla1
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i, Space Grey

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertoTaylor View Post
Okay guys, I have a 2007 e90 BMW 335i. About a month ago, my car overheated due to a water pump failure. My brothers shop replaced both the thermostat and water pump with OEM parts and everything was fine.

3 weeks later, I started having issues with the alternator which stopped working. Replaced that with an aftermarket Bosch alternator, and was running into some weird issues where it wasn't charging all the time. The only way I could "force" it to start charging, was by revving my engine past 5K RPM (weird, I know).

After a lot of research, it was determined the alternator was bad which apparently is not uncommon. Took the car to the shop, replaced the alternator with a new one, but now they ran into a new problem. Once they connected the battery, the water pump turned on (car was off), and it will just continue to run without stopping. It will basically keep running until it drains the battery completely.

My brothers shop does not specialize in BMW's, but they've checked everything possible. There are no codes in the system, all connections are good, but we just can't figure out what the problem is.

Does anyone have any ideas as to what could be causing this before I decide to send it to the dealer and get my head ripped off? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
JB4? There was an issue with the water pump running continuously with JB4 installed, but I seem to recall that was N55 only?
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 11:56 AM   #3
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dtla1 View Post
JB4? There was an issue with the water pump running continuously with JB4 installed, but I seem to recall that was N55 only?
No JB4 or other mods done to the car right now.
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 12:05 PM   #4
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335 e90

Quote:

My brothers shop does not specialize in BMW's, but they've checked everything possible. There are no codes in the system, all connections are good, but we just can't figure out what the problem is.

Thanks!
Are you getting any codes? When you say running continuously... do you mean from an overnight dead cold start you hear the water pump flowing at first crank of the motor in the morning???

OR

Do you mean it runs greater than 13+ minutes after vehicle is shut down after a nice drive?

I would assume you would have a code and possibly clearing all codes/history of codes might help you get to the bottom of this. In INPA there are three places to see codes for the engine. When I want a clean slate to check for issues I clear all three of them (including the read history).

The only thing I can guess at... if the thermostat thinks it needs to be open so the WP can flow the coolant, that would make sense and means your t-stat might be failed/failing??? (I'm guessing here)
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2015, 01:48 PM   #5
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by fazman View Post
Are you getting any codes? When you say running continuously... do you mean from an overnight dead cold start you hear the water pump flowing at first crank of the motor in the morning???

OR

Do you mean it runs greater than 13+ minutes after vehicle is shut down after a nice drive?

I would assume you would have a code and possibly clearing all codes/history of codes might help you get to the bottom of this. In INPA there are three places to see codes for the engine. When I want a clean slate to check for issues I clear all three of them (including the read history).

The only thing I can guess at... if the thermostat thinks it needs to be open so the WP can flow the coolant, that would make sense and means your t-stat might be failed/failing??? (I'm guessing here)
Yes, there are some codes. I'll have to text the shop and find out the codes that are popping up.

The water pump will run continuously doing a strange type of cycle as soon as you connect the battery without even starting the car, even if the car is completely dead. It will continue to run in the same manner until the battery dies.'

I took an audio clip and uploaded to YouTube so you can hear what I'm dealing with. Listen until the end so you can hear when it goes into high mode and stays there.

Last edited by RobertoTaylor; 12-11-2015 at 02:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 06:02 AM   #6
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep
Drives: '07 E92 335i 6MT

The water pump running full blast non stop was what happened to mine when it died.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 09:48 AM   #7
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Yes, there are some codes. I'll have to text the shop and find out the codes that are popping up.

The water pump will run continuously doing a strange type of cycle as soon as you connect the battery without even starting the car, even if the car is completely dead. It will continue to run in the same manner until the battery dies.'

I took an audio clip and uploaded to YouTube so you can hear what I'm dealing with. Listen until the end so you can hear when it goes into high mode and stays there.

It sounds like that pump is failing OR a weak battery is causing the Waterpump to act strange. (Weak batteries can cause all sorts of problems). If your existing battery is old, I would strongly suggest you replace the car battery first then dig more into the waterpump.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 03:47 PM   #8
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Battery is brand new, and the water pump is just a month old.
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 09:53 PM   #9
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Were the codes cleared or are they still stored?
      12-13-2015, 01:11 PM   #10
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by PichaDis11 View Post
Were the codes cleared or are they still stored?
Cleared, but they came right back. Going to have to wait until tomorrow to get the codes that are popping up.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2015, 05:45 PM   #11
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

I bet the pump is shot. As I said above that is what happened to mine.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:53 PM   #12
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Battery is brand new, and the water pump is just a month old.
Here is a fun fact, I recently had my waterpump, Tstat, and reservoir changed out (old one didn't fail yet... but the subframe was out so Indy did it since it's about 105k miles on the original pump anyways)... after 200 miles my brand new waterpump permanently failed 4 days later. had to tow it back 105 miles to my Indy for another new one
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 01:58 PM   #13
fazman
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
The water pump running full blast non stop was what happened to mine when it died.
+1 I started mine up in the morning after sitting over night on a cold night. Motor cranked up, a couple seconds later my radiator fan was on full blast, i was thinking... hummm thats strange, drove a couple blocks and said... let me check for codes with the JB4... sure enough a code so I drove it back home and parked it (Took my dependable pickup truck to work instead).
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 03:10 PM   #14
kkasson
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 BMW 328i, 08 BMW 528i

It doesn't sound like the pump to me since it's turning on immediately when the battery is connected, even before the car is started. If the pump is dying then the car will turn the fan on high to prevent the car from overheating...but I don't think the pump would be running if the car hasn't even been turned on yet.

But the pump can continue to run after the car has been turned off if it thinks it needs extra cooling, or when the residual heat function is on, etc.

It could be the pump, but I think it could also be a bad temperature sensor or some other electrical issue that's making the ECU think the pump should be running?
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 04:53 PM   #15
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
It doesn't sound like the pump to me since it's turning on immediately when the battery is connected, even before the car is started. If the pump is dying then the car will turn the fan on high to prevent the car from overheating...but I don't think the pump would be running if the car hasn't even been turned on yet.

But the pump can continue to run after the car has been turned off if it thinks it needs extra cooling, or when the residual heat function is on, etc.

It could be the pump, but I think it could also be a bad temperature sensor or some other electrical issue that's making the ECU think the pump should be running?
That's what I'm thinking too. Pump is OEM and only a month old. This started after the alternator was swapped out a second time.
Appreciate 0
      12-14-2015, 05:18 PM   #16
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkasson View Post
A pump dying doesn't mean the pump itself stops working. It can be the controller in the pump dying as well. Mine did EXACTLY as you are describing - it ran full blast any time the battery was connected. Swapped it out and have never had a problem since.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2015, 04:23 PM   #17
PichaDis11
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 N52

Any updates to the codes as yet OP?
      12-16-2015, 05:18 PM   #18
kiel_dafo_kenyg_as
DIE ANTWOORD
Germany
Rep
Drives: 335d E92

Dude, you're complaining about a steady running water pump. Others complain about pumps going bad every now and then. Considering the average time of successful pumping BMW must think they're on the right way, LOL!
SCNR!
      12-21-2015, 11:41 AM   #19
RobertoTaylor
Private First Class
Rep

Long story short, it was the pump that was bad. Took it to the dealer, they diagnosed it, replaced the pump with a new one, and everything is back to normal. So happy to have her back!
Appreciate 0
      12-21-2015, 11:52 AM   #20
Nitrousbird
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Long story short, it was the pump that was bad. Took it to the dealer, they diagnosed it, replaced the pump with a new one, and everything is back to normal. So happy to have her back!
I called that one.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 06:56 PM   #21
SpeedKingZR1
BMW Master Tech.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 Lexus GS430

One thing I see that is often overlooked after performing repairs to the cooling system is people forgetting to plug the electric fan back in. Unplugging the fan will deafult the coolant pump to run at full speed to prevent overheating. Just FYI.
Appreciate 0
      12-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #22
thomas88162
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E92 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nitrousbird View Post
A pump dying doesn't mean the pump itself stops working. It can be the controller in the pump dying as well. Mine did EXACTLY as you are describing - it ran full blast any time the battery was connected. Swapped it out and have never had a problem since.
I have to agree here. One issue with these waterpumps is that the control module gets flooded out with coolant. Obviously with water in the mixture, it could be completing a circuit..
Appreciate 0