THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Auto boot/trunk opener! Easy diy!!!

07-08-2015, 08:29 AM   #1
Piper666
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2014 218D (sold) 2015 M235i

Auto boot/trunk opener! Easy diy!!!

One thing that annoyed me was the boot never sprung up.... Does now!!!

2x B20x25 springs from bearingboys.co.uk at £7 for the pair and hey presto!!

Works everytime.

Unclip the bottom of the gas strut - then unscrew the plastic socket - slide spring on - screw socket back on and reattach.

Then spend the next hour or so giggling like a child because it springs open on the fob.

Will post a vid later on after work. Type in E46 auto boot opener in youtube and it is exactly the same.

One of my favourite mods so far
Appreciate 2
      07-08-2015, 08:33 AM   #2
rjroch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by Piper666 View Post
One thing that annoyed me was the boot never sprung up.... Does now!!!

2x B20x25 springs from bearingboys.co.uk at £7 for the pair and hey presto!!

Works everytime.

Unclip the bottom of the gas strut - then unscrew the plastic socket - slide spring on - screw socket back on and reattach.

Then spend the next hour or so giggling like a child because it springs open on the fob.

Will post a vid later on after work. Type in E46 auto boot opener in youtube and it is exactly the same.

One of my favourite mods so far
Pretty good idea, and I can certainly see the utility of it, but you might want to be careful with this. Since the trunk lid extends out as it opens, if you're parked too close to your garage door and accidentally (or on purpose) press the trunk release, couldn't you could cause some damage?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 08:37 AM   #3
Piper666
Enlisted Member
Rep

I cant see that as being an issue - doesn't extend past the bumper.

If it were to ever happen then it would give me reason to order a CF lid!
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 10:12 AM   #4
isthar
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i xDrive

Awaiting video, and if someone knew where to get stuff like this in the USA...
      07-08-2015, 11:18 AM   #5
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 228i M-sport THP

Quote:
Originally Posted by isthar View Post
Awaiting video, and if someone knew where to get stuff like this in the USA...
Looking at the specs of those B20x25 springs, I think this would be the equivalent in the imperial system and available in the US:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/07660582
Appreciate 1
Evano4.50
      07-08-2015, 12:34 PM   #6
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyn View Post
Looking at the specs of those B20x25 springs, I think this would be the equivalent in the imperial system and available in the US:

http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/07660582
i think it should be a light duty instead of medium or might damage your strut
I think this should work http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/67898569

Last edited by pikcachu; 07-08-2015 at 12:57 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 01:13 PM   #7
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
i think it should be a light duty instead of medium or might damage your strut
I think this should work http://www.mscdirect.com/product/details/67898569

I was first inclined to agree with this, but now I'm gonna stick with medium...the b20x25 spring on the website OP suggested are medium duty. While none of the videos that I watched of this mod on a BMW explicitly stated the rigidity of the spring, they were all blue. And since I've become a spring expert in the last few hours, I think that light duty springs tend to be green while medium duty are blue. Seriously though, I think we need someone who knows what they're talking about.

OP? do you have the answer for us?
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 03:17 PM   #8
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
I was first inclined to agree with this, but now I'm gonna stick with medium...the b20x25 spring on the website OP suggested are medium duty. While none of the videos that I watched of this mod on a BMW explicitly stated the rigidity of the spring, they were all blue. And since I've become a spring expert in the last few hours, I think that light duty springs tend to be green while medium duty are blue. Seriously though, I think we need someone who knows what they're talking about.

each manufacturer uses it's own color coding...
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 04:17 PM   #9
configt
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2015 EB M235i

Would like to do this...but then saw that the video poster wrote:

Paul Samuel 4 months ago
Please note that I recently removed my springs as I noticed my passenger side strut had started to leak. It eventually failed and I actually had to replace it. Obviously this mod is far from perfect and seems like it will most likely eventually cause damage to one or both struts. Proceed at your own risk. "
Appreciate 0
      07-08-2015, 05:08 PM   #10
scottyn
Private First Class
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by configt View Post
Would like to do this...but then saw that the video poster wrote:

Paul Samuel 4 months ago
Please note that I recently removed my springs as I noticed my passenger side strut had started to leak. It eventually failed and I actually had to replace it. Obviously this mod is far from perfect and seems like it will most likely eventually cause damage to one or both struts. Proceed at your own risk. "
Oh...well that settles that problem for me. I definitely don't care about this potential feature enough to risk damaging anything.
Appreciate 0
      07-09-2015, 08:40 AM   #11
Piper666
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:

Correct.

Ive used 32mm green on my wife's 1 series hatchback as the lid is very light and I've gone with blue due to it needing alittle more of a push as it's a shorter pivot point, gets half way then the struts do the rest.

Next step up is red but the rigidity is double that of the blue, doubt would be able to close the lid.

As for the struts to leak.? Nah, even if they do they are £13 each, hardly breaking the bank.

There is 13.5mm clear with the strut compressed, lid shut.
Blue is 14.2 when compressed.
When it beds in, then I'll add a tap washer.

Last edited by Piper666; 07-09-2015 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-12-2015, 04:30 AM   #12
AlpsRider
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: M2 Competition, LBB, 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjroch View Post
Pretty good idea, and I can certainly see the utility of it, but you might want to be careful with this. Since the trunk lid extends out as it opens, if you're parked too close to your garage door and accidentally (or on purpose) press the trunk release, couldn't you could cause some damage?
It's true. My car was parked in the garage yesterday close to the garage door. I reached down to open the trunk carefully and found that it would have hit the garage door if I had swung it open
Appreciate 0
      12-15-2015, 09:40 PM   #13
rjroch
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2017 M2 LBB

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlpsRider
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjroch View Post
It's true. My car was parked in the garage yesterday close to the garage door. I reached down to open the trunk carefully and found that it would have hit the garage door if I had swung it open
Yes. It is pretty easy to see this anytime you open your trunk. Not sure why someone replied that this is not the case.
Appreciate 0