THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum BMW 2 Series (F22) Forum BMW 2 Series Coupe and Cabriolet (F22/F23) General Forum Do you have to get the track package for M-Sport Brakes?

11-12-2014, 09:33 AM   #1
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Do you have to get the track package for M-Sport Brakes?

Is there any way to get the M Sport brakes on the 228i without getting the track package? Or are those of us who have no interest in an adaptive suspension SOL?

It seems pretty ridiculous to me that they took that option away...
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:18 AM   #2
Amessforone
Private
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt
Is there any way to get the M Sport brakes on the 228i without getting the track package? Or are those of us who have no interest in an adaptive suspension SOL?

It seems pretty ridiculous to me that they took that option away...
Unfortunately no. 2014 was the only model year that let you build a 228i a la carte so to speak in regards to the brakes. Now the only way to get a 228i with big brakes is to buy the track package which comes with the adaptive suspension.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 10:30 AM   #3
Sportstick
Major General
Rep
Drives: '15 228i and '24 X3 sDrive30i

You could spend more and go for the MPerformance brakes as a post-assembly plant installation....even larger!

If you think about this from their point of view, it does make some sense. The buyer personality which wants the big brakes usually (not always, obviously) also appreciates the other items in the package, which have an enthusiast orientation. The Variable Sport Steering and MAdaptive suspension naturally pair very well, as do the Michelin PSS tires. So, for the person who wants to have all this to help the "go", the natural addition for the "stop" is MSport brakes! To help manage build complexity in the plant, they anticipate the take rate for standalone brakes without the rest of the package will be quite low.

Having said that, for $1600 on top of a Sportine or MSport, this is a great deal. The Sport setting is wonderful, and if you ever have passengers who are less "enthused", or find yourself on some bad roads, the Comfort setting makes the car very pleasing. In any case, I wouldn't order a 2 without the Variable Sport Steering, so you're already most of the way there economically.

Take the whole package and you won't regret it!
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 12:40 PM   #4
kaputt
Captain
Rep
Drives: 128i 6MT - sold

Personally just not a fan of adaptive suspensions. Sounds like something expensive to have to fix later on down the road since I do plan on keeping the car. This will also probably be a second car for me so I'm looking to go as performance oriented as possible. I would honestly also look into getting the M Performance Suspension, however budget wise that might not work out now since I might have to shell out a bit more for a set of brakes.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 01:17 PM   #5
Amessforone
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaputt
Personally just not a fan of adaptive suspensions. Sounds like something expensive to have to fix later on down the road since I do plan on keeping the car. This will also probably be a second car for me so I'm looking to go as performance oriented as possible. I would honestly also look into getting the M Performance Suspension, however budget wise that might not work out now since I might have to shell out a bit more for a set of brakes.
My 228 only has the Msport and the track package. Having come from the non adaptive suspension (premium package 228i) I can tell you that it is a night and day difference and worth every penny.
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 02:22 PM   #6
hans007
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 BMW M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amessforone View Post
My 228 only has the Msport and the track package. Having come from the non adaptive suspension (premium package 228i) I can tell you that it is a night and day difference and worth every penny.
yeah, but that is because you didn't have a sport suspension before.

i have a 328i m-sport without adaptive. its always in sport !

and its really not bad on regular roads so i guess that is what the OP is talking about.

if i m-sport brakes and PSS were an option unbundled I think a lot of enthusiasts would rather just keep the extra cost (that the adaptive suspension adds) or spend it on something else (like a new exhaust, or tune etC)
Appreciate 0
      11-12-2014, 03:37 PM   #7
Amessforone
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by hans007
Quote:
Originally Posted by Amessforone View Post
yeah, but that is because you didn't have a sport suspension before.

i have a 328i m-sport without adaptive. its always in sport !

and its really not bad on regular roads so i guess that is what the OP is talking about.

if i m-sport brakes and PSS were an option unbundled I think a lot of enthusiasts would rather just keep the extra cost (that the adaptive suspension adds) or spend it on something else (like a new exhaust, or tune etC)
But at the same time he is referring to being as performance oriented as possible. While I agree that a passive system is good, I find the adaptive systems shine when they are driven daily. Of course the OP could go all out and eventually do KW which IMO is probably the best suspension money can buy.
Appreciate 0