E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Absolutely love my 2011 E92 M-sport 6MT... but here are the minor gripes

07-13-2014, 10:06 PM   #1
devtec
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 6MT M Sport

Absolutely love my 2011 E92 M-sport 6MT... but here are the minor gripes

Hi all,

Got my E92 a few months ago, and have been greatly enjoying it. For me it truly is the "everything" car for me right now--does it all: more than adequate engine and performance, great handling, decent fuel economy, great aesthetics, and I can even have a babyseat in the back. Perfect.

I do have a list of minor gripes though, in this otherwise fine machine. Here I am admittedly at my pickiest.

Gestalt
1. Just a bit too isolated feeling
Problem: love the low NVH, but it's almost too much. Engine just a bit too quiet for my tastes, as is the exhaust. Suspension very soft and compliant, some body roll. Not enough "rawness" to make it a lively, entertaining ride. Considered very heavily a 435i, which would have been even more of a problem in this regard! Glad I went with my used E92.
Solution: BMW performance exhaust, Bilstein B12 suspension, and SSK have helped in this regard greatly. Planning on a drop-in filter to get just a bit more throaty intake note, more responsive throttle, and diverter valve whoosh (don't want a DCI).

Driver Positioning/Driver Inputs
1. Driver's seat too high even at lowest setting
Problem: Seems to be a common complaint from what I've seen on the forum. Would be nice to sit just a tad lower. Steering wheel blocks numbers, that just shouldn't happen. Have looked at all the videos on how to correctly position seats; for me, following correct principles still can't seem to overcome this problem.
Solution: sure would be nice to maybe have some custom brackets fabricated that sit lower, while still providing clearance to the seat motors, of course.

2. Lack of Shoulder Support in the Sport Seats
Problem: Small problem, but I just feel like my shoulders are able to move around too much. Yes, even with lower bolsters inflated.
Solution: None really, but getting used to it.

3. Clutch Pedal Sits Too Far Forward
Problem: Relative to the brake and the dead pedal, I feel like the clutch sits too close to me. I feel like I have to really lift my whole leg up and hold it there, when all I should have to do is pivot on my heel. The clutch sits forward from the brake pedal, and the dead pedal is even further back than the brake! Find the differential annoying.
Solution: Would be nice to be able to adjust the clutch pedal position, move it back. From what I've been able to research on here, not possible, right?

Manual Transmission
1. Rubber Chicken Shifter
Problem: Need I say more? Why oh why do you still do this BMW? Long throws, mushy, imprecise feel. Just awful.
Solution: Put in the UUC Evo3 Short Shift Kit, helped a lot. Couldn't reach enough to put in the DSSR when I installed the Evo3. Will have to pay a shop to do it. Will hopefully get rid of almost all the slop in the system.

2. Inconsistent Clutch Engagement
Problem: Unpredictable control over timing of friction point due to that damned CDV. How BMW can compromise the driving experience so much I don't understand. They're supposed to cater to drivers, right? Why such a shoddy solution that seems like an afterthought?
Solution: Yes, CDV mod fixed it. Much better now, more natural, predictable, the way it should be. Simple, like my old Honda.

3. Notchy 1-2 Shift
Problem: There's a resistance peak when going from the 1-2 shift. Not smooth. If you try to shift fast, feels like you are forcing it or bending something or are going to break it. Needless to say, it should take a relatively constant force, be smooth. The way it is now, I feel like I have to intentionally slow down my 1-2 shifts, which does detract from my driving experience, and interrupts any chance at getting a nice rhythm going with the transmission. Sigh.
Solution: None I can think of. Maybe changing tranny oil?

4. Shifter Sits Too Far Forward
Problem: Again, this may be just particular to my body type (5'11"), but I feel like when seating position relative to steering wheel and pedals is in order, the location of the shifter is just a bit too far forward. Just a bit of a reach. It should be right where the hand naturally falls. RX-8 and S2000 are nice examples of the shift lever being just where it should be, at right height and distance from the driver.
Solution: None, really, live with it. Although maybe I could try putting more of a bend in my $400 Evo3 lever arm. Should I try? Will probably just live with it.

5. Long Clutch Pedal Throw
Problem: Wow, really long clutch pedal travel.
Solution: $10 clutch stop. Love it. Why can't all fixes be this easy.

Suspension
1. Soft, floaty
Problem: As above.
Solution: Put on Bilstein B12 kit, which is B8 dampers with Eibach prokit springs. Much better. More agile, no body roll. Just right. Got rid of front wheel gap too.

Miscellaneous
1. No Place to Put iPhone!
Problem: Yeah, couldn't find a satisfactory place.
Solution: Mountek nGroove Snap 2 magnetic phone mount. Bracket that affixes in the CD slot. Great idea. Google it. But then it occurred to me, why do I have to use the CD slot? So just ordered a neodymium magnet off of ebay and mounted it to the dash (15mm x 40mm x 3mm size works really well). Makes for an incredibly clean solution. Cleaner than the Mountek bracket at least. Will post pics if interested.

Well, that's about it. That's a long list! But I know I'm picky, the bigger ones are solvable, and the nonsolvable ones are all minor. Would love to hear if any of you feel the same way, or have come up with some other solutions. Problem solving makes us love our cars even more, right?

Thanks!

Last edited by devtec; 07-13-2014 at 11:48 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:31 PM   #2
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

Do you really think the seat position is too high? I'm almost the same height as you (5'10") and I have the seat all the way to the floor because I like to feel low in the car, but in this position, basically the top of my shoulder is even with the top of the door, so if someone were outside of the car and eye level with the window open, they would only be able to see my neck up.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:35 PM   #3
devtec
Private
United_States
Rep

It's probably because my previous cars were a Honda Prelude with S2000 seats, and a Mazda RX-8. Very low seating position in both.

In the E92 I do sit closer to the steering wheel with the seat back relatively upright, which is technically the way you are supposed to sit. Not the gangster lean... With this position, the top of my shoulder is still above the sill, and I end up feeling like I want the actual seat portion to be lower to the floor. Also, with the steering wheel properly adjusted, it ends up covering the numbers on the top of the dash display. Never seen this in another car. Maybe because it's designed for Germans, not Asians, lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 10:42 PM   #4
atinybug
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 e92 335i 6mt

Lol I get what you're saying with Asians having different body proportions to other people, I'm Chinese myself, with a long torso and kinda short limbs. My seat position is kinda upright, not anywhere near the gangsta lean. The bottom part is all the way down as far as it will go, and far enough back to when I fully push the clutch in, my foot is extended kinda like I'm stretching it and only pushing the pedal with my toes. The steering wheel telescopes, and it's as far out (towards me) and as low as it will go. The shifter pushing it into 5th gear is a bit of a stretch, but otherwise I think it's fine. I actually rarely use 5th anyway because local roads with 40-45mph speed limits I stay in 4th and go 45, and interstates with 65mph speed limits I use 4th to accelerate up to 50-55ish then go straight to 6th.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2014, 11:12 PM   #5
devtec
Private
United_States
Rep

Yeah 5 is a bit of a reach! But in my case I think it's because I've had to move the seat so far back to accommodate how far forward all the pedals are. That's made me max out the steering wheel telescoping too. Result is that I'm just a bit too far from the shifter. Makes feel like the pedals, seat, steering, and shifter are all just a bit off in this car. Have always been able to get things perfect position wise in every other car I've owned.

Have you tried the clutch stop? That'll definitely help with the tippy toe problem with the clutch.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 12:01 AM   #6
BMWho
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i E90

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec View Post
Hi all,

Got my E92 a few months ago, and have been greatly enjoying it. For me it truly is the "everything" car for me right now--does it all: more than adequate engine and performance, great handling, decent fuel economy, great aesthetics, and I can even have a babyseat in the back. Perfect.

I do have a list of minor gripes though, in this otherwise fine machine. Here I am admittedly at my pickiest.

Gestalt
1. Just a bit too isolated feeling
Problem: love the low NVH, but it's almost too much. Engine just a bit too quiet for my tastes, as is the exhaust. Suspension very soft and compliant, some body roll. Not enough "rawness" to make it a lively, entertaining ride. Considered very heavily a 435i, which would have been even more of a problem in this regard! Glad I went with my used E92.
Solution: BMW performance exhaust, Bilstein B12 suspension, and SSK have helped in this regard greatly. Planning on a drop-in filter to get just a bit more throaty intake note, more responsive throttle, and diverter valve whoosh (don't want a DCI).

Driver Positioning/Driver Inputs
1. Driver's seat too high even at lowest setting
Problem: Seems to be a common complaint from what I've seen on the forum. Would be nice to sit just a tad lower. Steering wheel blocks numbers, that just shouldn't happen. Have looked at all the videos on how to correctly position seats; for me, following correct principles still can't seem to overcome this problem.
Solution: sure would be nice to maybe have some custom brackets fabricated that sit lower, while still providing clearance to the seat motors, of course.

2. Lack of Shoulder Support in the Sport Seats
Problem: Small problem, but I just feel like my shoulders are able to move around too much. Yes, even with lower bolsters inflated.
Solution: None really, but getting used to it.

3. Clutch Pedal Sits Too Far Forward
Problem: Relative to the brake and the dead pedal, I feel like the clutch sits too close to me. I feel like I have to really lift my whole leg up and hold it there, when all I should have to do is pivot on my heel. The clutch sits forward from the brake pedal, and the dead pedal is even further back than the brake! Find the differential annoying.
Solution: Would be nice to be able to adjust the clutch pedal position, move it back. From what I've been able to research on here, not possible, right?

Manual Transmission
1. Rubber Chicken Shifter
Problem: Need I say more? Why oh why do you still do this BMW? Long throws, mushy, imprecise feel. Just awful.
Solution: Put in the UUC Evo3 Short Shift Kit, helped a lot. Couldn't reach enough to put in the DSSR when I installed the Evo3. Will have to pay a shop to do it. Will hopefully get rid of almost all the slop in the system.

2. Inconsistent Clutch Engagement
Problem: Unpredictable control over timing of friction point due to that damned CDV. How BMW can compromise the driving experience so much I don't understand. They're supposed to cater to drivers, right? Why such a shoddy solution that seems like an afterthought?
Solution: Yes, CDV mod fixed it. Much better now, more natural, predictable, the way it should be. Simple, like my old Honda.

3. Notchy 1-2 Shift
Problem: There's a resistance peak when going from the 1-2 shift. Not smooth. If you try to shift fast, feels like you are forcing it or bending something or are going to break it. Needless to say, it should take a relatively constant force, be smooth. The way it is now, I feel like I have to intentionally slow down my 1-2 shifts, which does detract from my driving experience, and interrupts any chance at getting a nice rhythm going with the transmission. Sigh.
Solution: None I can think of. Maybe changing tranny oil?

4. Shifter Sits Too Far Forward
Problem: Again, this may be just particular to my body type (5'11"), but I feel like when seating position relative to steering wheel and pedals is in order, the location of the shifter is just a bit too far forward. Just a bit of a reach. It should be right where the hand naturally falls. RX-8 and S2000 are nice examples of the shift lever being just where it should be, at right height and distance from the driver.
Solution: None, really, live with it. Although maybe I could try putting more of a bend in my $400 Evo3 lever arm. Should I try? Will probably just live with it.

5. Long Clutch Pedal Throw
Problem: Wow, really long clutch pedal travel.
Solution: $10 clutch stop. Love it. Why can't all fixes be this easy.

Suspension
1. Soft, floaty
Problem: As above.
Solution: Put on Bilstein B12 kit, which is B8 dampers with Eibach prokit springs. Much better. More agile, no body roll. Just right. Got rid of front wheel gap too.

Miscellaneous
1. No Place to Put iPhone!
Problem: Yeah, couldn't find a satisfactory place.
Solution: Mountek nGroove Snap 2 magnetic phone mount. Bracket that affixes in the CD slot. Great idea. Google it. But then it occurred to me, why do I have to use the CD slot? So just ordered a neodymium magnet off of ebay and mounted it to the dash (15mm x 40mm x 3mm size works really well). Makes for an incredibly clean solution. Cleaner than the Mountek bracket at least. Will post pics if interested.

Well, that's about it. That's a long list! But I know I'm picky, the bigger ones are solvable, and the nonsolvable ones are all minor. Would love to hear if any of you feel the same way, or have come up with some other solutions. Problem solving makes us love our cars even more, right?

Thanks!
When I test drove an 08 6MT E92, I also felt the clutch was really close, and I also felt a lot of clutch travel.

Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:35 AM   #7
Akleifg
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
I'm 6-4 and have a lot of these same complaints of pedals and shifter being too far forward, seat is better than six inches off the floor! Clutch delay value is awful, even with stop in the travel is too far and it sits an inch closer than the break.
Body roll of the car is really exposed w engine upgrades. Suspension and most all else is fixable, driver positions relative to controls and overall comfort of sport seats really keep me from dumping a bunch of money into mods. With all it's low end torque it's such a fun car otherwise. Really a shame.
All suggestions welcome. Would aftermarket seats help???
Ohlins R&T - M3 suspension bits
Spec Stg 2 Clutch Kit & Alum Flywheel, Qualfe LSD
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:35 AM   #8
NikosBM
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i

I think that there is no car in the world you would not find something to complain about

Not to say the E92 is perfect... but you cant make it into an RX8 or S2000... different classes of car.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 10:59 AM   #9
chris82
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 128i

Garage List
2009 BMW 128i  [9.80]
If you came from a Honda then of course the clutch will seem long, German cars are like this. I remember driving my buddy's Civic Si, such a short clutch on that thing
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:26 PM   #10
kunal_d
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 08 335i 3 pedals

I think the driving position is pretty damn good. If you are seated correctly, there should only be about a fist sized distance from the top of your head to the roof. I'm 6'1 and with my seat lowered all the way to the floor , it's way too low.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2014, 02:35 PM   #11
Benstuck
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 335i N55 E92

Quote:
Originally Posted by devtec
It's probably because my previous cars were a Honda Prelude with S2000 seats, and a Mazda RX-8. Very low seating position in both.

In the E92 I do sit closer to the steering wheel with the seat back relatively upright, which is technically the way you are supposed to sit. Not the gangster lean... With this position, the top of my shoulder is still above the sill, and I end up feeling like I want the actual seat portion to be lower to the floor. Also, with the steering wheel properly adjusted, it ends up covering the numbers on the top of the dash display. Never seen this in another car. Maybe because it's designed for Germans, not Asians, lol.
My previous car was an 05' RX-8 6MT as well but the seating position in my E92 is perfect, no issues with it IMO.
Appreciate 0