E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Is there room for stock secondary cats and vibrant resonators?

06-24-2014, 07:38 AM   #1
Bliggity
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Is there room for stock secondary cats and vibrant resonators?

I am currently running vrsf catless downpipes with the BMW performance exhaust. Everything else on exhaust is stock. I just ordered vibrant 1790 resonators (2.25"). I want to keep the sec cats for sound and mostly for fumes. I havent seen anyone running stock sec cats, resonators, and rear mufflers. Any chance I can make this setup work? Looks like it will be a tight fit! From what all I've read and heard this might be a great setup.

Last edited by Bliggity; 06-24-2014 at 11:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #2
megaman416
Banned
Rep
Drives: Man

Hey OP - I have AR DP's, vibrant resonators and PE with no cats now. Before I had the DP's, secondary cats and PE and it sound great with no drone. With the secondary cats in place I wouldn't put in the resonators personally, it sounded mild and good. If eliminating the secondary cats than yes for sure add the resonators. I prefer no secondary cats sound, smell to me is not that bad as long as the car is running right
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2014, 07:43 AM   #3
Bliggity
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by megaman416 View Post
Hey OP - I have AR DP's, vibrant resonators and PE with no cats now. Before I had the DP's, secondary cats and PE and it sound great with no drone. With the secondary cats in place I wouldn't put in the resonators personally, it sounded mild and good. If eliminating the secondary cats than yes for sure add the resonators. I prefer no secondary cats sound, smell to me is not that bad as long as the car is running right
So did you run the downpipes, stock sec cats, vibrant resonators, and BMW PE? I would just like it to be a hair quieter and obviously less rasp.
Appreciate 0
      10-15-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
mmorrismm
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E93 335is AW Coral Red

Hey same here. vrsf DP's with stock 'is' exhaust.
To raspy especially with the top down. I need it toned down. And would like to put some Vibrant resonators in and retain the secondaries.

Have you done anything. I need to visit some good muffler shops to see what they can do.

Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post
So did you run the downpipes, stock sec cats, vibrant resonators, and BMW PE? I would just like it to be a hair quieter and obviously less rasp.
      10-23-2014, 03:35 PM   #5
mmorrismm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Cool Found Some Small Resonators

I found these from Aero Exhaust. They have all sizes even a smaller 6.5 inch resonators. I am thinking the 10.5 may be able to squeeze in and still keep the secondary cats.

Look at their selection.
Any thoughts?
http://www.aeroexhaust.com/resonators.html

I also found this one on Ebay. WOuld it be to short?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/161312876664...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
      11-08-2014, 12:21 AM   #6
mmorrismm
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Well, I just this week went to my local muffler shop and spoke to them and they talked me into cutting out the rear Xpipe and putting in 2 Magnaflow resonators in their place while keeping the secondary cats.

Now I regret it. Maybe its the Magnaflows but it sounds to muffled now. Lost the nice 'is' tone. It may be the Magnaflows are really not resonators. I told him I would order the Vibrants or Arrow and again he talked me into the Magnaflows. All I really wanted was to quiet down the 5-6K rasp. Everything else was OK. I would have rather lived with the rasp now!

I am going back next week to either reverse it or find some better free flowing resonators. If that will do it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bliggity View Post