THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan M235i Tune

08-10-2014, 08:45 PM   #353
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 MG F22 Auto

The pictures show a very clean installation which is a big plus. Not seeing a bunch of wires spread around the engine bay is a plus. That is worth money right there. Factory style power delivery and stable running is also a plus. I'm sold on just these two features alone.

As a previous Dinan customer with an E92 I know what to expect in the power delivery. Looks like from the beta numbers on the Stage 2 we can expect diesel-like torque numbers which is the important power number for me. I don't expect to push my M235i over 100 mph. It will be driven on public roadways. Getting quickly through local mountain roads and many linked turns is why I drive a sports derived car. My car is a weekend warrior for a different driving thrill other than my motorcycles deliver. It is not my daily commuter; a motorcycle handles that duty. Because I spend more time on a motorcycle I need my part-time car to be exciting to drive and boosting the torque sounds perfect to me.

I don't have plenty of extra money to blow so I choose my options carefully while always trying to get the best possible deal in doing so. Realizing that sometimes though you have to pay the premium price to get the product that really makes it worth having. Like my M Performance interior upgrades give me joy in the car, the Dinan software will bring my right foot joy as well.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 08:47 PM   #354
Ohio Army Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M235i

Where are people getting these "beta 2" numbers/info on Dinan?
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 09:04 PM   #355
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio Army Man View Post
Where are people getting these "beta 2" numbers/info on Dinan?
Bimmerfest has a couple postings from Dinan on an M235i thread there. One of the posting is signed "Steve Dinan" himself. If you look at the history of how Dinan has released software updates in the past they seem to be following the same formula; Stage 1 with little to no add-ons required, Stage 2 with Dinan additional add-ons (intake/exhaust), Stage 3 with increased cooling (intercooler and/or air/oil cooler). From Steve's post though he may release a track tune right after Stage 2 that will allow mostly factory OEM parts plus Stage 2 required upgrades to give you better than M3/M4 engine numbers.

Looking at the site, you can earn your DINAN badge (10 points) with Stage software upgrade, Spring Kit, and Exhaust for the M235i. I think this is the cheapest in terms of parts required to get the DINAN badge on the back of your car I can remember.
Appreciate 0
      08-10-2014, 10:03 PM   #356
BLK235iNJ
Captain
Rep
Drives: m235i,13MustangGT,84C10,99A8

My springs ship tomorrow, tune and exhaust next week.

M front and side splitters and my car is getting wrapped (de-badging). I'm transforming this thing. I CAN'T WAIT!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Delnari View Post
Bimmerfest has a couple postings from Dinan on an M235i thread there. One of the posting is signed "Steve Dinan" himself. If you look at the history of how Dinan has released software updates in the past they seem to be following the same formula; Stage 1 with little to no add-ons required, Stage 2 with Dinan additional add-ons (intake/exhaust), Stage 3 with increased cooling (intercooler and/or air/oil cooler). From Steve's post though he may release a track tune right after Stage 2 that will allow mostly factory OEM parts plus Stage 2 required upgrades to give you better than M3/M4 engine numbers.

Looking at the site, you can earn your DINAN badge (10 points) with Stage software upgrade, Spring Kit, and Exhaust for the M235i. I think this is the cheapest in terms of parts required to get the DINAN badge on the back of your car I can remember.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:05 AM   #357
kerm1t
Captain
Rep
Drives: 17 M3 ZCP Stage 2

Quote:
Here's what I've been fighting with. The sticker price on my car was $52,300, and my wife's Grand Cherokee (2014) was more.

Clearly I had a bad customer service experience with another company. Anyone can have that with any company, that's been covered in detail.

That being said, Dinan is "overpriced" as some say.

I think it is priced just fine, for the following reasons:

1) I have the money
2) History in the business
3) My Signature 3 - never had a single issue
4) Warranty
5) Piece of mind
6) Much better built and finished with a quality inclosure and packaging.

Can someone get "like" results from a less expensive product? It appears so. But I can also go to work in another "product" for less. I choose not to.

Lets just cover this right now, as to get it out of the way:

Some will say "more money then brains".

My simple reply - I doubt that. This is not a "D" measuring contest, so don't get me wrong -- I just know someone would say that reference:

Finance degree from Duke
3 Homes (2 rentals)
3 Cars all 2014, the M235i .. yea, that's the cheapest one.

I became semi-retired at 35 .. joined the guard just to "give back", at 38!!

I made my money. I can do whatever I want with it.

Cheers
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bennu View Post
Did you really just brag about how much money you have? Wow! Speechless.
oh god. yea, now I'm definitely leaving this forum. lmfao. nice knowing you all.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 02:15 AM   #358
chaddy74
Lieutenant
Australia
Rep
Drives: M135i

wow thats so hardcore !!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kerm1t View Post
oh god. yea, now I'm definitely leaving this forum. lmfao. nice knowing you all.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:12 AM   #359
HX_Guy
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i

Stage 2 charts from Dinan...

08-11-2014, 05:22 AM   #360
Ohio Army Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

HX_Guy---

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 04:51 PM   #361
G-Mann
Captain
Rep
Drives: M4CX

Just got off the phone with my Service Department/Dinan dealer. They made me feel more comfortable regarding the warranty which is a more important priority to me than squeezing out a few more horse power.

They have several kits in stock and if I had more than 400 miles on my car, I'd be installing the kit this weekend.

Last edited by G-Mann; 08-12-2014 at 02:26 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #362
BEM-S4
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Dinan M235, Dinan Sport Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by G-Mann
Just got off the phone with my Service Department/Dinan dealer. They say they have never had a warranty issue in the 13 years he has been there with Dinan products. He made me feel more comfortable regarding the warranty which is a more important priority than squeezing out a few more horse power.

They have several kits in stock and if I had more than 400 miles on my car, I'd be installing the kit this weekend.
I spoke with half a dozen different installers, both dealers and independents, and no one has seen any issues. Steve at Bimmerworks does endurance racing with his stage 3 400bhp beast and he doesn't even have problems with that.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 05:22 PM   #363
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Here's what I've been fighting with. The sticker price on my car was $52,300, and my wife's Grand Cherokee (2014) was more.

Clearly I had a bad customer service experience with another company. Anyone can have that with any company, that's been covered in detail.

That being said, Dinan is "overpriced" as some say.

I think it is priced just fine, for the following reasons:

1) I have the money
2) History in the business
3) My Signature 3 - never had a single issue
4) Warranty
5) Piece of mind
6) Much better built and finished with a quality inclosure and packaging.

Can someone get "like" results from a less expensive product? It appears so. But I can also go to work in another "product" for less. I choose not to.

Lets just cover this right now, as to get it out of the way:

Some will say "more money then brains".

My simple reply - I doubt that. This is not a "D" measuring contest, so don't get me wrong -- I just know someone would say that reference:

Finance degree from Duke
3 Homes (2 rentals)
3 Cars all 2014, the M235i .. yea, that's the cheapest one.

I became semi-retired at 35 .. joined the guard just to "give back", at 38!!

I made my money. I can do whatever I want with it.

Cheers
Joined the guard to give back? You ain't giving anything back by joining the guard. It annoys me when people say this cop out line. Join the service to give back? Give back what and to who exactly. If you really wanted to "give back" should have went full active duty.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 10:49 PM   #364
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

This thread is an epic n00bfest.

But the post about the guy who thinks he has money but drives the lowest-end BMW model and makes his wife drive a Jeep really takes the cake. LOL...cool story, baller.
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2014, 11:07 PM   #365
FC4
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Stage 2 charts from Dinan...

So an estimated 371 BHP, meaning an estimated 323 RWHP for a Stage 2? Oh...but you newbies think it's actually "communicating with the ECU."
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 07:42 AM   #366
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
This thread is an epic n00bfest.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4
Oh...but you newbies think it's actually "communicating with the ECU.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FC4 View Post
ROFL @ the level of n00b in this thread.
Did you just not get enough hugs as a child? This is like your third pathetic comment about people being "newbies" or "n00bs" or whatever you want to call it.

We get it... you know everything and the folks here are amateurs and are still learning... It is so hilarious that I too am rolling on the floor laughing because it is so amusing.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:12 AM   #367
Ohio Army Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

FC4... Please stand by for an update this evening. As I'm not around my laptop, and I cannot post pics from iOS8. Just to knock you down a few pegs. If I was trying to show off, I would have posed them right away.

As I said it's not a "d" measuring contest.

I was clearly pointing out the fact, if you don't take things out of context ... "you and others think it's overpriced" and people are noobies... or idiots for buying Dinan.

Here's a taste of what's to come, all with my face in them.

Me and Mario

Me at the Playboy Mansion

Me in the pits @ F1

Me at dinner with Dr Vijay Mallya

Me taking a shopping trip to NYC to pick up my 3rd car (left off on purpose, here's a hint for ya, starts with an F, and ends with an I) . I'll show you a few, me pulling out of dealership, one while it's on the side of my garage, after tinting the windshield ... I'll even throw one in showing off my $22,500 SET OF WHEELS

Me in our SkyBox--- I'll post a few in different years, just so you know it's not a one time gig.

HOF introduction and private party

I'll even throw one in of one of my pets...

As far as "Active Duty BS"... You're the idiot... Cannot join Active Duty at the age I did.

Read the post and absorb the info prior to opening your trap.

I've been to Iraq, I've been to Afghanistan have you been to either?

Oh... And wife's Jeep... I guess your right there... It's only an 2014 SRT8...
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:21 AM   #368
basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 S450 2018 S90

This is going to get good. Subscribed!
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:25 AM   #369
basiluf
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 S450 2018 S90

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
Did you just not get enough hugs as a child? This is like your third pathetic comment about people being "newbies" or "n00bs" or whatever you want to call it.

We get it... you know everything and the folks here are amateurs and are still learning... It is so hilarious that I too am rolling on the floor laughing because it is so amusing.
Whoa whoa whoa, this is a BMW forum, remember? Are you a self-hating BMW driver? You are either with us, or against us.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:29 AM   #370
Maniac0908
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: Alpine White 07 335xi Sedan

Subscribed
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:31 AM   #371
Delnari
Major
United_States
Rep

Getting my Dinan installed in a couple hours from now. Just removed the JB4 Stage 1 from the car this morning. Took it for a short drive just to be sure everything is back to normal. Wow, what a difference in power now! Feels like the car just got it balls cut off.

Will share my impressions and photos a bit later on once I had a chance to drive around with it. The higher torque advertised is what makes the upgrade interesting to me. Should be very easy to feel the difference immediately afterwards.

** The JB4 Stage 1 unit is listed in the classifieds if your M235i needs a bigger set of balls **

Last edited by Delnari; 08-12-2014 at 08:41 AM..
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 08:33 AM   #372
Ohio Army Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

You'll like Steve. If that's where you ended up going.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:46 AM   #373
Demetrius Joel
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BSM/CR M235i

Garage List
2014 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
FC4... Please stand by for an update this evening. As I'm not around my laptop, and I cannot post pics from iOS8. Just to knock you down a few pegs. If I was trying to show off, I would have posed them right away.

As I said it's not a "d" measuring contest.

I was clearly pointing out the fact, if you don't take things out of context ... "you and others think it's overpriced" and people are noobies... or idiots for buying Dinan.

Here's a taste of what's to come, all with my face in them.

Me and Mario

Me at the Playboy Mansion

Me in the pits @ F1

Me at dinner with Dr Vijay Mallya

Me taking a shopping trip to NYC to pick up my 3rd car (left off on purpose, here's a hint for ya, starts with an F, and ends with an I) . I'll show you a few, me pulling out of dealership, one while it's on the side of my garage, after tinting the windshield ... I'll even throw one in showing off my $22,500 SET OF WHEELS

Me in our SkyBox--- I'll post a few in different years, just so you know it's not a one time gig.

HOF introduction and private party

I'll even throw one in of one of my pets...

As far as "Active Duty BS"... You're the idiot... Cannot join Active Duty at the age I did.

Read the post and absorb the info prior to opening your trap.

I've been to Iraq, I've been to Afghanistan have you been to either?

Oh... And wife's Jeep... I guess your right there... It's only an 2014 SRT8...
Can't join at your age? You said you joined at 38, if that's the case you can join at that age brosef. So get your facts straight before you start calling people idiots. And matter of fact I have been to those places. Don't see your point there? Lemme guess you prob stayed on the fob the entire time too, right, cause it's usually fobbits that run around shouting how much they've done and where they've been. Pfft.
Appreciate 0
      08-12-2014, 11:54 AM   #374
Ohio Army Man
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Hey slick. They raised the limit after I signed.

BTW... I didn't bring it up, where I was... That was only after the fact.

I'm simply calling him out, based on his response.

The WHOLE point of this is... People blasting people for buying Dinan... Saying people have more money then brains.

Well it's brains, that get people money (usually).

They/we/anyone can spend it how they want, without being ridiculed.
Appreciate 0