THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Wheels and Tires -- Sponsored by The Tire Rack M-Parallels et35 square?

10-28-2020, 12:26 AM   #1
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E34 | MX5

M-Parallels et35 square?

Looking at a set of M Parallels. Haven’t seen these on our cars yet and was wondering if this spec is doable without rolling fenders. 18x8 et35 245/35 square. Stock suspension. Would put on DWS Conti’s

Some quick photoshop on the phone.
Attached Images

Last edited by PeanuKeeyes; 10-28-2020 at 08:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 05:08 PM   #2
Estoril235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeanuKeeyes View Post
Looking at a set of M Parallels. Haven't seen these on our cars yet and was wondering if this spec is doable without rolling fenders. 18x8 et35 245/35 square. Stock suspension. Would put on DWS Conti's

I haven't seen them on a 2 series either so this is a best guess. Width and offset are fine but depends on spoke shape on whether it will hit the brake caliper. 245 may be a little wide but DWS isn't a wide tire so it might be ok.
Appreciate 2
      10-28-2020, 05:09 PM   #3
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Looking at a set of M Parallels. Haven’t seen these on our cars yet and was wondering if this spec is doable without rolling fenders. 18x8 et35 245/35 square. Stock suspension. Would put on DWS Conti’s

The size and offset should be fine. You may need some additional negative camber up front with 245/35-18s to clear your fender. Narrower tires like 235s would be an easier fit.

Be careful with M Parallels. I believe they came on both the E38 and E39 chassis. The E39 wheels are going to have a 74.1mm centerbore which is specific to that chassis and will require centering rings to be truly hubcentric on a 2 series. E38 wheels should be bolt-on in terms of their centerbore.

-Tom
      10-28-2020, 06:09 PM   #4
Mark.h
Private
Rep
Drives: 2015 bmw m235i

I run 19x8.5 +35 245/35/19 up front. Stock suspension. Only rubs if I hit a dip at high speed. You should be good with an 18" wheel set up
Appreciate 1
      10-28-2020, 07:48 PM   #5
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Expert@ApexRaceParts View Post
The size and offset should be fine. You may need some additional negative camber up front with 245/35-18s to clear your fender. Narrower tires like 235s would be an easier fit.

Be careful with M Parallels. I believe they came on both the E38 and E39 chassis. The E39 wheels are going to have a 74.1mm centerbore which is specific to that chassis and will require centering rings to be truly hubcentric on a 2 series. E38 wheels should be bolt-on in terms of their centerbore.

-Tom
Thanks for the info. I checked per your recommendation and the centerbore is correct. As Estoril235 pointed out, the spokes rubbing the calipers is my big worry now. The seller noted that the calipers on his 2005 X5 4.8is were lightly rubbing on spokes. I’m having trouble finding a good comparison of those brakes vs the blue Brembo’s on mine. If anyone has a rough idea if those are bigger or smaller that would be helpful.

Thanks everyone. I’m really digging the potential:
Attached Images

Last edited by PeanuKeeyes; 10-28-2020 at 08:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-28-2020, 09:39 PM   #6
Estoril235
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:
Quote:

-Tom
Thanks for the info. I checked per your recommendation and the centerbore is correct. As Estoril235 pointed out, the spokes rubbing the calipers is my big worry now. The seller noted that the calipers on his 2005 X5 4.8is were lightly rubbing on spokes. I’m having trouble finding a good comparison of those brakes vs the blue Brembo’s on mine. If anyone has a rough idea if those are bigger or smaller that would be helpful.

Unfortunately the rotor and caliper design from car to car is unique so the best you can do without actually test fitting them is ask the seller to measure the distance from the wheel hub to the spoke and see if it's close to the distance from the rotor hub to caliper on your car. If the wheels don't quite fit you could also run a small spacer and 225s up front since that would be close to a 18x8.5 35mm which is a common wheel for the 2 series.

Also, the wheels look good and I think you should give it a shot. Since they are a popular wheel the worst that can happen is resell them for a bit of a loss.
Appreciate 2
      10-29-2020, 10:04 AM   #7
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

They don’t fit and they’re cheap replicas

Luckily no money lost and now people know for sure.. M Parallels with Brembo’s = no dice. I mean, could run spacers probably but with 35 offset, lots of fudging.
      10-29-2020, 11:27 AM   #8
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
They don’t fit and they’re cheap replicas

Luckily no money lost and now people know for sure.. M Parallels with Brembo’s = no dice. I mean, could run spacers probably but with 35 offset, lots of fudging.
That's good info for the community at least. Spacers with that 35mm offset would definitely be a headache. It was worth a shot though!

-Tom
      10-29-2020, 12:55 PM   #9
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Quote:

-Tom

Damn why does this look so good?
      10-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #10
KennyFSU
Captain
Rep
Drives: Lexus RC F

Garage List
I've always liked that style wheel as well, clean and timeless.

Luckily there are many options in that spoke design, even my Enkei Victory are a twin 5-spokes.

18x8 +40 (pictured with the stock 225 RFT but I now have BFG 235/40).

Appreciate 2
      10-29-2020, 01:04 PM   #11
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
Damn why does this look so good?
I know, right? Such a bummer it doesn’t work. Nice simple, clean wheel. I’m sorry to say but almost everything current gen is either too busy, too loud or just plain fugly. The only good options are BBS, Apex and VMR, IMO. I do love the TR Motorsport C4 though.
      10-31-2020, 12:48 AM   #12
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

I'm on OZ Allegerittas - not loud or busy, but DK if you'd call 'em fugly. Light, strong, and easy to clean.
Appreciate 1
      11-02-2020, 07:46 AM   #13
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's good info for the community at least. Spacers with that 35mm offset would definitely be a headache. It was worth a shot though!

-Tom

I decided I’m going with Apex arc -8’s. 17x8.5 et40, hyper black, flat profile. Is there any way of ordering them with non-racing tires mounted and balanced, such as all-seasons?
      11-02-2020, 01:29 PM   #14
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
I decided I’m going with Apex arc -8’s. 17x8.5 et40, hyper black, flat profile. Is there any way of ordering them with non-racing tires mounted and balanced, such as all-seasons?
Not at the moment, Unfortunately. You can order them with Michelin PS4S summer tires, but we don't currently offer any all-season options. I've been pushing internally to get at least one all-season model in our lineup of tire choices, probably the Michelin AS3/4. There are a few logistical issues that prevent us from offering those currently, and our focus is on the wheel development side so I don't think we will have any all-season options soon for your order.

The 17x8.5s can work really well for the 2 series, but be sure of a few things related to brakes before placing your order:

Our 17" wheels will not clear your brakes if you have the optional 370mm front brakes. These were available on a few of the 6 cylinder cars and are fairly uncommon. Most cars have the 340mm Msport brakes. These came on all M235 and M240 cars as standard and were optional on the 4 cyl. cars.

In the rear, if you have OEM pads with the 345mm brakes, the vibration dampeners on the brake pads may hit the barrel of the wheel. These dampeners can be snapped off without a significant increase in NVH to increase clearance. Here is a shot of rear brakes clearance on a 17x8.5 ET40 ARC-8 with EBC yellow brake pads and the 345mm rear brake setup:

With the 345mm rear brakes, you may experience some scratching of the inside of the wheel and outside edge of the caliper from rocks/debris when running these wheels:

I hope this was helpful! I should also mention that we will be having a Black Friday sale this year so if you are willing to wait until Nov. 25th there will definitely be deals to be had.

Please let me know if you have any questions!

-Tom
      11-03-2020, 12:58 PM   #15
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you, Tom! Very helpful. I will hold off until Black Friday, thanks for the tip. I’m using Hawk pads so shouldn’t be any issue but great info to have. — The only other concern I have is regarding handling with a 245/40 all-season tire, as I know the 245/40 RS4’s have spoiled me with handling characteristics.

I’m hoping to find an all-season tire at 245 width that doesn’t slug up the steering response too much. This is a general question for anyone who’s reading but if you have any suggestions about best handling year-round tires or feedback from customers who went with 17’s for daily use vs 18’s pros and cons, that would be helpful. Still torn on the 18’s vs 17’s for the sake of handling (35 sidewall vs 40). * note: I don’t encounter much snow.

Thanks again
      11-03-2020, 07:20 PM   #16
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Thank you, Tom! Very helpful. I will hold off until Black Friday, thanks for the tip. I’m using Hawk pads so shouldn’t be any issue but great info to have. — The only other concern I have is regarding handling with a 245/40 all-season tire, as I know the 245/40 RS4’s have spoiled me with handling characteristics.

I’m hoping to find an all-season tire at 245 width that doesn’t slug up the steering response too much. This is a general question for anyone who’s reading but if you have any suggestions about best handling year-round tires or feedback from customers who went with 17’s for daily use vs 18’s pros and cons, that would be helpful. Still torn on the 18’s vs 17’s for the sake of handling (35 sidewall vs 40). * note: I don’t encounter much snow.

Thanks again
I've had quite a bit of positive customer feedback about the Michelin AS3/4 tires in terms of performance on the road and in the rain. I haven't driven them myself though so I'm not sure how stiff the sidewalls are and how they affect handling.

I run Continental DWS 06s on my E46 in Portland, OR. We don't get much snow, but we have quite a bit of rain and I've been happy with them. They have a bit more squish than the summer tires I've driven on, but I like the ride comfort . They are also more affordable than the Michelins and have lasted a really long time. I've got about 10k miles on mine and they still have tons of tread left and work well in standing water. Now that I don't drive much they will probably age out long before I get to fully use them up.

Most of our customers are going with the 18s on this chassis, but the 17s definitely add a bit more squish to your ride and can add a bit of vagueness to your steering. I would look for tires with stiffer sidewalls if you want that sharper steering response although that will generally correspond with a decrease in ride comfort.

-Tom
      11-05-2020, 11:46 AM   #17
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

I think giving up some handling for the winter months is something I should surrender to. I wrecked a beautiful set of wheels in under 6 months living around here from potholes and curbing, so practicality is the right answer.

I noticed on a separate thread here that someone put on a bronze set of Arc 8’s et38 but mounted a 235/40/18 up front and 245/35/18 in back. I’m sure you know the one I’m talking about. I love the way that looks, especially because the arches are uneven on my car — larger wheel gaps up front so the 40 sidewall fills it out nicely and evenly with the rear. 245/35 out back to retain the correct gearing. Would be great for the pothole ridden streets of New England to have the slight bit of extra sidewall up front so this may be the direction I take. I’ve got a couple weeks to decide!

There was no clear answer on whether the 245/35 et38 fit in back without a camber adjustment but I’m willing to roll the dice!
      11-05-2020, 12:17 PM   #18
CarbonLion
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '15 228i

Garage List
2015 228i  [0.00]
Quote:
I think giving up some handling for the winter months is something I should surrender to. I wrecked a beautiful set of wheels in under 6 months living around here from potholes and curbing, so practicality is the right answer.

I noticed on a separate thread here that someone put on a bronze set of Arc 8’s et38 but mounted a 235/40/18 up front and 245/35/18 in back. I’m sure you know the one I’m talking about. I love the way that looks, especially because the arches are uneven on my car — larger wheel gaps up front so the 40 sidewall fills it out nicely and evenly with the rear. 245/35 out back to retain the correct gearing. Would be great for the pothole ridden streets of New England to have the slight bit of extra sidewall up front so this may be the direction I take. I’ve got a couple weeks to decide!

There was no clear answer on whether the 245/35 et38 fit in back without a camber adjustment but I’m willing to roll the dice!
I was debating doing the same stagger (tire) on a square set of FL-5's, but with the ET35 the camber requirements are too much for me (Dinan springs). You are braver than I, but I agree the look is choice.

I'm looking forward to the end of the month too , I'm thinking 235/40 all around to retain the benefits of 4 way rotation.
      11-05-2020, 01:45 PM   #19
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:

I don't really have a clear answer here either, unfortunately. The extra 3mm of room that you get from the ET38 ARC-8 specific offset should help with the clearance on the rear for the 245, but I would guess that it would still rub a bit during suspension compression with a bit of weight in the trunk. That is just a guess though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonLion View Post
I'm looking forward to the end of the month too , I'm thinking 235/40 all around to retain the benefits of 4 way rotation.
That ability to rotate is really nice to have for sure! It really helps you get the most out of a set of tires especially if you do a lot of miles on the car.

-Tom
      11-11-2020, 07:27 PM   #20
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I don't really have a clear answer here either, unfortunately. The extra 3mm of room that you get from the ET38 ARC-8 specific offset should help with the clearance on the rear for the 245, but I would guess that it would still rub a bit during suspension compression with a bit of weight in the trunk. That is just a guess though.

That ability to rotate is really nice to have for sure! It really helps you get the most out of a set of tires especially if you do a lot of miles on the car.

-Tom

Just to double check — Arc-8’s 18x8.5 et38 with 235/40r18 will fit square without camber? I might spring for this fully mounted and balanced through European Auto Source.
      11-12-2020, 10:54 AM   #21
Expert@ApexWheels
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Just to double check — Arc-8’s 18x8.5 et38 with 235/40r18 will fit square without camber? I might spring for this fully mounted and balanced through European Auto Source.
In most cases yes, the 235/40-18s are a direct fit with the ET38. Running tire models that are wide for their size or cars that are lowered might have some rubbing issues.

If you are looking for the easiest fitment option, our 18x8.5 ET45s with a 5mm front spacer might be the better choice.

The 5mm spacer is required for front fitment and gives the front wheels an effective offset of ET40 which lets the 235/40 clear more easily. These wheels are a direct fit in the rear with a 235/40-18 tire.

-Tom
      11-12-2020, 11:00 AM   #22
PeanuKeeyes
First Lieutenant
Rep

Thank you, Tom! And with this, I’ve finally reached the end of my wheel search. I will report back with how the fitment is with Conti DWS.