THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Suspension | Chassis | Brakes The brake pad thread

03-03-2017, 02:20 AM   #23
BirdsEye
Private
Rep
Drives: E92 335D

Does anyone have any experience with the Stoptech 'sport' pads? I'm due an upgrade in approx 2k miles and have a couple of trackdays booked. I won't be pushing the car too hard, so I will be getting fluid and lines but unsure on pads. Right now front runner is Ferodo DS2500 as I have good experience, but willing to try alternatives.

Last edited by BirdsEye; 03-06-2017 at 09:15 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 09:53 AM   #24
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Porterfield R4 are what I use, the sweet spot is 450-800F. These are great for open lapping, but would not be suited to most de sessions, you won't have enough time to warm up.

You would be better suited to the r4s, temps for those are about 250-600F. Less friction coefficient, but should not matter because you may never heat the r4 up enough to hit their higher number in 25-30 min sessions.

I get them from best brakes, takes a week or so to ship sometimes more, I think they make them to order.
Appreciate 1
      03-03-2017, 11:53 AM   #25
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
Porterfield R4 are what I use, the sweet spot is 450-800F. These are great for open lapping, but would not be suited to most de sessions, you won't have enough time to warm up.

You would be better suited to the r4s, temps for those are about 250-600F. Less friction coefficient, but should not matter because you may never heat the r4 up enough to hit their higher number in 25-30 min sessions.

I get them from best brakes, takes a week or so to ship sometimes more, I think they make them to order.
I've also used R4S pads for DD and HDPE duty -- also a quality pad.
      03-03-2017, 05:51 PM   #26
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

i had to swap my front pads while waiting for my PFC's to come in... Went with yellowstuffs. These really are the best street pad for our cars. No bedding needed.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      03-03-2017, 07:33 PM   #27
pikcachu
Major General
Rep
Drives: M235i (F22 Red angel)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan_f22 View Post
i had to swap my front pads while waiting for my PFC's to come in... Went with yellowstuffs. These really are the best street pad for our cars. No bedding needed.
I just got my yellow stuff today
Appreciate 0
      03-03-2017, 07:50 PM   #28
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BirdsEye View Post
Does anyone have any experience with the Stoptech 'sport' pads? I'm due an upgrade in approx 2k miles and have a couple of trackways booked. I won't be pushing the car too hard, so I will be getting fluid and lines but unsure on pads. Right now front runner is Ferodo DS2500 as I have good experience, but willing to try alternatives.
I heard they are a bit better than the stock pads... also quite a bit cheaper

about $149 for a full set while the Yellow stuff are $230 which i hope are even better

https://www.tirerack.com/brakes/brak...After+3%2F2014

https://www.turnermotorsport.com/p-3...335i-f32-435i/
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 12:46 AM   #29
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikcachu View Post
I just got my yellow stuff today
Put them on today... car still brakes

Even though they are still bedding in as you can see only part of the pad is glazing the disc, it feels like much more bite than the stock pads....

will see how it develops once they start breaking in.....
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2017, 05:31 AM   #30
allthatisntnow
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2C, 991 C2

Quote:

Even though they are still bedding in as you can see only part of the pad is glazing the disc, it feels like much more bite than the stock pads....

The break in coating does give you more bite for the first few miles, but it is what helps them seat so quickly.

Ive jut got my second set fully seated on half worn rotors. Took 500 miles to get full contact across all rotors. Followed the 150 mile only gentle braking from speeds up to 50mph (unless in emergency) and have been using progressively stronger pedal application from all road legal speeds in the time since. Now they're ready for the heat cycling 60-10 mph consecutive stops. They feel great on the road for sure.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2017, 11:02 AM   #31
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow View Post
The break in coating does give you more bite for the first few miles, but it is what helps them seat so quickly.

Ive jut got my second set fully seated on half worn rotors. Took 500 miles to get full contact across all rotors. Followed the 150 mile only gentle braking from speeds up to 50mph (unless in emergency) and have been using progressively stronger pedal application from all road legal speeds in the time since. Now they're ready for the heat cycling 60-10 mph consecutive stops. They feel great on the road for sure.
Appreciate 1
      03-05-2017, 01:14 PM   #32
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by allthatisntnow
Quote:

Honestly, they need more than 60-10 stops to get them bedded.

I needed to do 10+ stops from 70+ - 10 to get enough heat in them. They are not pure street pads so they need a significant amount of heat relatively speaking.
      03-05-2017, 03:39 PM   #33
Pparana
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 m235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquidpaper View Post
Honestly, they need more than 60-10 stops to get them bedded.

I needed to do 10+ stops from 70+ - 10 to get enough heat in them. They are not pure street pads so they need a significant amount of heat relatively speaking.
I use yellow stuff on street, swap out for r4 on track as compounds are comp. on rotor. You need to bed then just like race pads or they will feel glazed, also need to heat them up or bed every now and then if you do not get them warm, but best pad for street imo. I have used them on track when I was lazy, they faded on me quickly, but no more than other pads in that range.
Appreciate 1
bryan_G011164.50
      03-05-2017, 06:50 PM   #34
varkdriver
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

I brought my new M240i home and installed EBC Red Stuff brake pads. D1609 for the front and D1656 for the rear. Extremely easy to install, took me longer to jack up the car than to install the pads. Doing the "pre-bedding" break in right now. These pads have a bedding compound that you have to wear off with light braking before doing the 10 hard stop full bedding. This takes about 250 miles on new rotors. Will report back after they are fully bedded and I have a chance to evaluate. VERY LOW dust so far!

Update: 03/13/2017 -- Finished the break-in and bedding process by going out and doing 10 HARD stops from 60-10mph in succession. Brakes were definitely hot when I was finished, but never faded during the process. Drove around for about 30 minutes and then parked it with the parking brake off. Went out later for a drive and see what the result was. They have lost that initial "grabbiness" and have transformed into a very solid, progressive brake pedal that is easy to modulate with foot pressure. It's exactly what I look for in good, street pads. Will put out another report in a couple of weeks on final thoughts and brake dust (which is hard to judge at this point considering what I did to them in 10 hard stops).

So far, I am VERY impressed.

Last edited by varkdriver; 03-14-2017 at 03:09 PM..
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      03-06-2017, 11:50 AM   #35
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pparana View Post
I use yellow stuff on street, swap out for r4 on track as compounds are comp. on rotor. You need to bed then just like race pads or they will feel glazed, also need to heat them up or bed every now and then if you do not get them warm, but best pad for street imo. I have used them on track when I was lazy, they faded on me quickly, but no more than other pads in that range.
They do fade eventually, especially if you are an experienced (you) driver. However, in their class they are quite heat resistant and are fine for HPDE in my experience if you are a novice/intermediate driver. They are far superior to a standard street-only pad.
      03-09-2017, 10:47 AM   #36
Anthony235
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: m235i

Garage List
2015 BMW  [0.00]
My 2 cents..

I'm always concerned when people tell novices/intermediate drivers that they are OK with a street pad or hybrid pad on the track. Those are the type of drivers that tend to use the brakes way more than a high level driver. Though novice drivers may not always be braking at the limit they tend to brake really early or when it's not required giving less time for the brakes to cool down on the track. So again, I would not categorize the Yellows as a good track pad. Can you drive it on a track? Sure, you can drive any pad on the track and call it a street/track pad.

Also I've seen many time a novice driver with a RS3, RE71, R comp tire, etc with street/hybrid pads. This will cook the brakes even quicker.

You can also add a column to your sheet that says "Tire Category".
Pagid Yellow - Up to "Extreme Performance Summer" >200 tread wear. Some R comps depending on vehicle weight.

EBC Yellow - Up "Max Performance Summer". Some "EPS" depending on vehicle weight.

tires, brakes, fluid need too all work together on the track otherwise there is no point.

For the street fluid is not as important, but you need to have a pad that offers maximum braking at street temps and a tire that can offer the grip to take advantage of the pad in a panic stop.
Appreciate 2
      03-09-2017, 12:38 PM   #37
Liquidpaper
Captain
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2015 BMW M235i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony235 View Post
My 2 cents..

I'm always concerned when people tell novices/intermediate drivers that they are OK with a street pad or hybrid pad on the track. Those are the type of drivers that tend to use the brakes way more than a high level driver. Though novice drivers may not always be braking at the limit they tend to brake really early or when it's not required giving less time for the brakes to cool down on the track. So again, I would not categorize the Yellows as a good track pad. Can you drive it on a track? Sure, you can drive any pad on the track and call it a street/track pad.

Also I've seen many time a novice driver with a RS3, RE71, R comp tire, etc with street/hybrid pads. This will cook the brakes even quicker.

You can also add a column to your sheet that says "Tire Category".
Pagid Yellow - Up to "Extreme Performance Summer" >200 tread wear. Some R comps depending on vehicle weight.

EBC Yellow - Up "Max Performance Summer". Some "EPS" depending on vehicle weight.

tires, brakes, fluid need too all work together on the track otherwise there is no point.

For the street fluid is not as important, but you need to have a pad that offers maximum braking at street temps and a tire that can offer the grip to take advantage of the pad in a panic stop.
I'm just speaking from experience. I've run the yellows with RS3s, braided lines, and Torque 700 fluid at Buttonwillow and I never had any real brake fade. YMMV. Worked fine for me though.
      04-02-2017, 09:33 PM   #38
Panzer1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2022 540i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkdriver View Post
I brought my new M240i home and installed EBC Red Stuff brake pads. D1609 for the front and D1656 for the rear. Extremely easy to install, took me longer to jack up the car than to install the pads. Doing the "pre-bedding" break in right now. These pads have a bedding compound that you have to wear off with light braking before doing the 10 hard stop full bedding. This takes about 250 miles on new rotors. Will report back after they are fully bedded and I have a chance to evaluate. VERY LOW dust so far!

Update: 03/13/2017 -- Finished the break-in and bedding process by going out and doing 10 HARD stops from 60-10mph in succession. Brakes were definitely hot when I was finished, but never faded during the process. Drove around for about 30 minutes and then parked it with the parking brake off. Went out later for a drive and see what the result was. They have lost that initial "grabbiness" and have transformed into a very solid, progressive brake pedal that is easy to modulate with foot pressure. It's exactly what I look for in good, street pads. Will put out another report in a couple of weeks on final thoughts and brake dust (which is hard to judge at this point considering what I did to them in 10 hard stops).

So far, I am VERY impressed.
Can you tell me where you got these pads? I'm having trouble finding anyone selling the EBC Red Stuff Brake Pads with the part nos. D1609 and D1656? I'm hoping to change out the light grey OEM wheels, but want to minimize brake dust before I do.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 06:58 PM   #39
varkdriver
Rep

Red Stuff Brake Pad Part #'s

OK, here is the "ticket":

Front: DP32130C (D1609)
Rear: DP32133C (D1656)

These are Red Stuff's part numbers and will get you a better search. I got mine on Amazon in two days. The more I drive on these, the more I am impressed. Very progressive, VERY low dust!
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:01 PM   #40
varkdriver
Rep

Here are Amazon links:

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rakes+DP32130C

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_n...rakes+DP32133C
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 07:09 PM   #41
bryan_G01
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: like i stole it...

not a fan of red stuffs...

If you need a real track brake tho, get the pfc 08s... WOW. so impressed.
1997 M3 Sedan Auto Cosmo Black Metallic
2018 x3 m40 Auto Grey Metallic
Appreciate 1
AmuroRay2165.00
      04-04-2017, 07:53 PM   #42
Panzer1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by varkdriver View Post
OK, here is the "ticket":

Front: DP32130C (D1609)
Rear: DP32133C (D1656)

These are Red Stuff's part numbers and will get you a better search. I got mine on Amazon in two days. The more I drive on these, the more I am impressed. Very progressive, VERY low dust!
Thanks for the info and links. My M240i xDrive is a daily driver, and I have no intention of "tracking" the car. Thus, I'm looking to reduce dust, not improve braking for the track as others on this post are looking to accomplish. Thanks again for the help.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 08:34 PM   #43
pikcachu
Major General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Panzer1 View Post
Thanks for the info and links. My M240i xDrive is a daily driver, and I have no intention of "tracking" the car. Thus, I'm looking to reduce dust, not improve braking for the track as others on this post are looking to accomplish. Thanks again for the help.
looks like these are the cheapest...

http://raceconsultingagency.com/i-22...FcNffgodOhMDiw

https://autoplicity.com/5224327-ebc-...FRKTfgodXnUKVA

$220 for the full set
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2017, 09:54 PM   #44
Panzer1
Enlisted Member
Rep

Thanks. Do you think the reason the M240i xDrive is not listed for the pads is due to the "newness" of the model, and EBC just hasn't updated their reference? I've tried several sites, and it's come back as "does not fit your model". Yet, Varkdriver has obviously installed and used them.
Appreciate 0