THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N55 (M235i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Exhaust Flap Rattle

04-12-2019, 11:44 AM   #23
sethwas
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 228i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe T. View Post
The dealership also quoted a hilarious $90 to install it..
They quoted you a price to do a recall/under warranty work?

Seth
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2019, 09:37 PM   #24
Joe T.
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethwas View Post
They quoted you a price to do a recall/under warranty work?

Seth
I don't think it had been recalled yet and the car was just out of the factory warranty. I just laughed it off and wired the flap open myself.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2019, 09:45 AM   #25
Climate Changer
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i xdrive convertible

Garage List
2018 230i xdrive co ...  [0.00]
2019 x3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Quote:
I had the pin break on my old 228 before I traded it in. I bought a new one for $8, but I couldn't ever get the actuator to stop in the right place to line up the new pin. The dealership also quoted a hilarious $90 to install it. I ended up just wrapping a bit of wire around the flap to keep it open at all times and that worked just fine for me.

My M235 has the M Performance Exhaust and I hear the flap rattling a little on startup, but once the flap is open I don't hear it at all. At this point, I think I'd prefer that there was no flap to begin with.
I’ve been doing research on all bmw models with the flap rattle on the forums.
Most do say when they mod the faps to stay open the rattling stops.
I came upon an easy way to keep the fap permanently open by removing fuse 146. I have the 230i exhaust. For the M235i/M240i fuse 146 & 147 in the trunk.
I removed the fuse while the valve was open and so far one day later no rattle.

I’ll update in a few more days.

I did hear it’s difficult to install the pin spring clip.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Climate Changer View Post
Quote:
I had the pin break on my old 228 before I traded it in. I bought a new one for $8, but I couldn't ever get the actuator to stop in the right place to line up the new pin. The dealership also quoted a hilarious $90 to install it. I ended up just wrapping a bit of wire around the flap to keep it open at all times and that worked just fine for me.

My M235 has the M Performance Exhaust and I hear the flap rattling a little on startup, but once the flap is open I don't hear it at all. At this point, I think I'd prefer that there was no flap to begin with.
I’ve been doing research on all bmw models with the flap rattle on the forums.
Most do say when they mod the faps to stay open the rattling stops.
I came upon an easy way to keep the fap permanently open by removing fuse 146. I have the 230i exhaust. For the M235i/M240i fuse 146 & 147 in the trunk.
I removed the fuse while the valve was open and so far one day later no rattle.

I’ll update in a few more days.

I did hear it’s difficult to install the pin spring clip.

it's been a few weeks since the mod and it works 95%. it rattles occasionally now for a few minutes only.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2019, 02:47 PM   #26
maverick83
Second Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F20 M135i

On my M135 I removed 4 bolts from the actuator, removed the spring and bent it open. Put it back in and all rattles gone.

Look at my post on Babybmw

dreadful exhaust flap rattle .
https://r.tapatalk.com/shareLink?sha...8;share_type=t

Removing the fuse logs an error code in the DME btw
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2019, 08:19 AM   #27
werdna87
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235

Anyone have any experience getting this fixed out of warranty? 2015 M235i with a really bad exhaust rattle as of late, I can look in and see the flap hitting with the metallic click. Is this formally a recall yet? It seems like a fairly common issue
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:00 AM   #28
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
Originally Posted by werdna87 View Post
Anyone have any experience getting this fixed out of warranty? 2015 M235i with a really bad exhaust rattle as of late, I can look in and see the flap hitting with the metallic click. Is this formally a recall yet? It seems like a fairly common issue
You can just get it welded open. I had it done on my m2 exhaust because they fixed it twice on my stock exhaust
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 11:18 AM   #29
werdna87
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW M235

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luftwaffe1O1 View Post
You can just get it welded open. I had it done on my m2 exhaust because they fixed it twice on my stock exhaust
Weld? wow that seems a bit excessive. I tried pulling the fuses (146 and 147, both 5A) but no matter what the flap keeps on staying closed. Is there some way to "lock" the flap open so that I can pull the fuses and have it stay? I used a stick and moved it to open, pulled the fuses, and, and then as soon as I started the car the flap was closed again...
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 12:21 PM   #30
jondagger
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235i

Quote:
Weld? wow that seems a bit excessive. I tried pulling the fuses (146 and 147, both 5A) but no matter what the flap keeps on staying closed. Is there some way to "lock" the flap open so that I can pull the fuses and have it stay? I used a stick and moved it to open, pulled the fuses, and, and then as soon as I started the car the flap was closed again...
Yes on BM3 you can do this... if it wont open with this switch, ur valve has been shorted somehow and youll have to replace it for 20-30$
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2019, 01:34 PM   #31
Nito310
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: M235i

Quote:

It's a simple fix. Just need to pop in a new clip. Your old one must have broken so the flap is just rattling around since it has no resistance. It's item #8 in the diagram below. It's about a $10 part at most places including the dealer. This clip is the same for the M-performance exhaust for those who are wondering.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/sho...diagId=18_0978
Appreciate 2
Sisyrx229.00
      10-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #32
Luftwaffe1O1
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M235i, 2000 Z3

Quote:
I thought if you turn it off while in sport + mode it will stay open.
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #33
imperialgrunt
Private
Rep
Drives: M240i

German Engineering struck again. My pin just went out too. I was babying the car for like the last 2 weeks in Eco mode, and the one time I put it in Sport+ and open it up on a long stretch of road, the rattling immediately started at the next light 🥲.

This is a ‘19 M240i. 39k miles on it. Taking it into BMW tomorrow. Hope they don’t try to blame the resonator delete or my aftermarket exhaust tips as the cause...
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2021, 03:43 PM   #34
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep
Drives: F22 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by imperialgrunt View Post
German Engineering struck again. My pin just went out too. I was babying the car for like the last 2 weeks in Eco mode, and the one time I put it in Sport+ and open it up on a long stretch of road, the rattling immediately started at the next light 🥲.

This is a ‘19 M240i. 39k miles on it. Taking it into BMW tomorrow. Hope they don’t try to blame the resonator delete or my aftermarket exhaust tips as the cause...
My local BMW dealership coded it permanently open under warranty when my M240i rattle started. It hasn't ever come back.
      04-27-2021, 06:54 AM   #35
imperialgrunt
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrettKA7 View Post
My local BMW dealership coded it permanently open under warranty when my M240i rattle started. It hasn't ever come back.
I will request the same. My appointment is today at 9AM. They’re most likely not gonna have that part in stock. I’d rather they just remove it anyways, since a few people have complained it breaking more than once on them 👎🏻👎🏻
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2021, 09:30 AM   #36
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
I will request the same. My appointment is today at 9AM. They’re most likely not gonna have that part in stock. I’d rather they just remove it anyways, since a few people have complained it breaking more than once on them 👎🏻👎🏻
Here's what they did exactly
Attached Images

04-28-2021, 05:39 AM   #37
imperialgrunt
Private
Rep

Quote:
My dealership refused to code the flap open. The rep stated that, if they are gonna do warranty work on the vehicle, all they can do is replace and install the part. They ended up replacing the whole actuator under the warranty. Within an hour.

Am I able to code the flap open with Bimmercode? I’d rather do that before it breaks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2021, 08:43 AM   #38
BrettKA7
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Quote:
My dealership refused to code the flap open. The rep stated that, if they are gonna do warranty work on the vehicle, all they can do is replace and install the part. They ended up replacing the whole actuator under the warranty. Within an hour.

Am I able to code the flap open with Bimmercode? I’d rather do that before it breaks again.
Interesting that they refused to do a service bulletin that would have cost them $0 in parts and very little in labor.

I don't have bimmercode, so that I'm not sure about.
      10-02-2021, 11:46 AM   #39
freakystyly
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: F22 B58 6MT

I am also experiencing a cold start rattle at the drivers side exhaust and went to check today... this is a common problem when the spring fails.

Turns out the spring is in tact (lots of room to check on the 240i btw). Would a spring replacement be advised still or does it look like the valve is the issue?

Edit: Trying out a dry lube for the valve pin, will see how long it lasts.
Attached Images

Last edited by freakystyly; 10-04-2021 at 02:31 PM.. Reason: Update
Appreciate 0