THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics DIY and Coding Discussions M235i CIC to NBT Screen and Head Unit OEM Retrofit Project Guide/Help Ongoing/Updated

10-14-2019, 08:26 PM   #1
roach902
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW M235i F22 Coupe 05/14

Post M235i CIC to NBT Screen and Head Unit OEM Retrofit Project Guide/Help Ongoing/Updated

I have decided to attempt an OEM CIC No Nav 6.5" to NBT Nav 8.8" retrofit in my 2014 M235i F22. Exact Spec and Vin Below:

2014 BMW M235i - VIN - WBA1J7C55EVX33945 - Prod Date 2014-05-27

I would greatly appreciate any help, guidance, support, discussion as it relates to this endeavor. Total cost of the parts is just about 800$ USD delivered to my door, and if successful would be a good value to have OEM equipment in the car vs the third party stuff. Note I'm not overly concerned about voice controls, and gps functionality immediately. Just want the updated larger 8.8" display working on the new Head Unit with Bluetooth Audio, and Video playing from USB in motion.

Major Questions right now

- Will I need to code the Head Unit to be accepted into the car? Something about a donor VIN I've read a few places. Can someone clarify and/or provide resource on this process and the needed items to complete?

- I am aware of the F22 Coding cheat sheet thread and I will be using it to get this retrofit working, but is there a specific set of codes to make this retrofit work/fully functional in specific for an OEM NBT 8.8 retrofit from CIC 6.5 No Nav?

- Can I get away with just using Bimmercode or will I need a cabled ODB connection and some other coding tools?

I am hoping I have ordered compatible parts and I will be documenting and photographing all of my steps and codes here in the thread (See attachments) until the entire system is running with Navigation but just focused on getting the screen and head unit working first. Below is a list of the current parts I have to my knowledge and the parts I have ordered for the retrofit (Help me understand if I ordered incompatible parts

Current Screen
- 6.5 CIC No Nav

Current Head Unit
- Unsure. Help?.. no nav. video wont play via usb but mp4's show up in the library, had to code Bluetooth Audio streaming as it was only calls by default. Feels super base lol.

Purchased Head Unit for Retrofit - Part Number: 8798036
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-2-4-Seri...72.m2749.l2649

Purchased Screen for Retrofit - display for NBT - Part Number 9259901 (OEM Cable Included)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-1er-F20-...72.m2749.l2649

Not yet purchased GPS/Nav Antenna to support new GPS capability
https://www.bimmer-tech.net/27?Itemi...&product_id=27

I also have the BimmerCode App Full Purchase and a Veepeak Bluetooth ODB dongle which I've coded some already. (I am an experienced computer programmer by profession but new to coding BMW's)

Some other tools for the job
Dash disassembly tools - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I will update this thread with videos, pictures, and reference materials/steps as I complete this retrofit over the next 3 months in my garage as the car is laid up for winter. Any and all help is appreciated and hopeing to make a very well documented retrofit for everyone here who wants to do this on an f22 f30 but wants to use OEM HU and Display.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      10-29-2019, 10:09 PM   #2
roach902
Rep

Parts are arriving... more to come
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 08:44 AM   #3
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Any updates? I am also interested for my M240 pre lci
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 10:22 AM   #4
roach902
Rep

Hey there, keep an eye on the thread. Awaiting 2 more parts and beginning the retrofit with videos, documents and a full parts/suppliers list for OEM retrofits.
Appreciate 0
      11-04-2019, 07:17 PM   #5
roach902
Rep

Updated 11.11.19

UPDATED PARTS LIST!

Purchased Head Unit for Retrofit - Part Number: 8798036
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-2-4-Seri...72.m2749.l2649

Purchased Screen for Retrofit - display for NBT - Part Number 9259901 (OEM Cable Included)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-1er-F20-...72.m2749.l2649

UPDATED GPS ANTENNA PURCHASED
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/GPS-ANTENNA-...72.m2749.l2649

UPDATED BT/Car Play ANTENNA (Needed as with new HU we will be bypassing the commbox in my trunk)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/FOR-BMW-NBT-...72.m2749.l2649

UPDATED PURCHASED NEW MIC LINE TO SUPPORT VOICE ON NEW HU
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-CIC-NBT-...72.m2749.l2649

UPDATED PURCHASED USB LINE TO REPLACE CURRENT ARMREST USB (THIS IS CRITICAL TO GETTING THE NEW HU CODED WITH THE PROPER VIN (DONOR VIN) THANKS TO STEVE AT codemybimmer for the parts help and the eventual HU coding)
https://www.ebay.ca/itm/BMW-NBT-EVO-...72.m2749.l2649

Some other tools for the job
Dash disassembly tools - https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B07...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Codeing Services for Advanced Needs HU OEM Donor VIN
https://www.codemybimmer.ca/

Basic Codeing DIY
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...ive.bimmercode
Attached Images

Last edited by roach902; 11-11-2019 at 12:59 PM.. Reason: Codeing Added
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:31 PM   #6
JG_Media9
Private
Rep
Drives: M235i

I needed to code in the new screen when i upgraded my screen from a 6.5' no nav to a 10.25 android unit. If you need help with coding the screen resolution here is my video i made.

Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:46 PM   #7
roach902
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy Gonz F22 View Post
I needed to code in the new screen when i upgraded my screen from a 6.5' no nav to a 10.25 android unit. If you need help with coding the screen resolution here is my video i made.

Already familiar with basic codeing. Because I have chosen to use only OEM stuff for my retrofit, the car needs to have the new head unit donor vin coded. I am a 10 year software developer, but still for the VIN codeing and all the hassle codemybimmer has saved me in just finding the right parts is well worth paying for. I use a simple bimmercode app to do basic codeing on my own tho. Thanks!!!
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 12:50 PM   #8
JG_Media9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by roach902 View Post
Already familiar with basic codeing. Because I have chosen to use only OEM stuff for my retrofit, the car needs to have the new head unit donor vin coded. I am a 10 year software developer, but still for the VIN codeing and all the hassle codemybimmer has saved me in just finding the right parts is well worth paying for. I use a simple bimmercode app to do basic codeing on my own tho. Thanks!!!
Bimmercode out here saving lives
Appreciate 0
      11-11-2019, 01:01 PM   #9
roach902
Rep

Quote:
Bimmercode out here saving lives
Just updated with a ton of pics for viewing pleasure!
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 06:12 AM   #10
gosi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240

Any progress?
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2020, 03:59 PM   #11
roach902
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gosi View Post
Any progress?
Lots, haven't had the time to wrap it all up yet but long story short I had to buy another head unit as the one I got was not code friendly lucky the seller was able to accept the return and I lost only a few bucks in shipping. Correct head unit was out of a 14 M5 and was cheaper anyways so really just lost some time.

I'll have a ton of pics as well as some good tips and links to make this go smoothly as I've learned a few lessons while working with the car and the new equipment with the old config.

Codeing is yet to take place, but will be completed soon.

Right now everything works after install besides the Mic activation and gps. I'm restricted in making changes right now as the donor VIN needs to be coded and the head unit reset for my car as a few settings are wanky and I cant clear old profiles. This i suspect will easily resolve after my codeing session.

If you are follow or reading this and thinking about this retrofit, it's totally do able with some patience and about 1200CAD codeing and tax in.

Most upgrades dont add value to a car, in fact on these cars it detracts in many ways from factory desirability.
This being interior, very appealing visually, adding function car play, sirrus, GPS, and so on I feel is a value added project and will reflect in sale price slightly, desirability for sure, but most of all, my own happiness and that's all that really matters.

Now go forth and do yours!

Updated full bible project and files will be coming late Jan, with some other upgrades I did and as well.
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2020, 03:18 PM   #12
JG_Media9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Lots, haven't had the time to wrap it all up yet but long story short I had to buy another head unit as the one I got was not code friendly lucky the seller was able to accept the return and I lost only a few bucks in shipping. Correct head unit was out of a 14 M5 and was cheaper anyways so really just lost some time.

I'll have a ton of pics as well as some good tips and links to make this go smoothly as I've learned a few lessons while working with the car and the new equipment with the old config.

Codeing is yet to take place, but will be completed soon.

Right now everything works after install besides the Mic activation and gps. I'm restricted in making changes right now as the donor VIN needs to be coded and the head unit reset for my car as a few settings are wanky and I cant clear old profiles. This i suspect will easily resolve after my codeing session.

If you are follow or reading this and thinking about this retrofit, it's totally do able with some patience and about 1200CAD codeing and tax in.

Most upgrades dont add value to a car, in fact on these cars it detracts in many ways from factory desirability.
This being interior, very appealing visually, adding function car play, sirrus, GPS, and so on I feel is a value added project and will reflect in sale price slightly, desirability for sure, but most of all, my own happiness and that's all that really matters.

Now go forth and do yours!

Updated full bible project and files will be coming late Jan, with some other upgrades I did and as well.
where did you purchase the screen from? ebay forreal?? i've decided i need the oem 8.8" in my life as well but haven't found much on ebay for the right price
      01-06-2020, 03:44 PM   #13
roach902
Rep

Quote:
where did you purchase the screen from? ebay forreal?? i've decided i need the oem 8.8" in my life as well but haven't found much on ebay for the right price
Hey Speedy,

You wont regret spending the money on OEM.

I got it from Ebay, from Lithuania actually out of a wrecked 235i

Couple of things to keep in mind, try to find an F22 part numbered from a left hand drive 235i. Careful not to buy right.
Also some claim the f30 screen fits as well, but has a mismatched backing and doesnt line up perfect, leaves a gap in the rear of the screen. This was unacceptable for me so I spent the extra money for the F22 version. Close to 450CAD is what I ended up paying.

Reach out anytime and I'd be glad to help you work through it!!
Attached Images

Last edited by roach902; 01-06-2020 at 03:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      01-07-2020, 07:20 AM   #14
JG_Media9
Private
Rep

Quote:
Hey Speedy,

You wont regret spending the money on OEM.

I got it from Ebay, from Lithuania actually out of a wrecked 235i

Couple of things to keep in mind, try to find an F22 part numbered from a left hand drive 235i. Careful not to buy right.
Also some claim the f30 screen fits as well, but has a mismatched backing and doesnt line up perfect, leaves a gap in the rear of the screen. This was unacceptable for me so I spent the extra money for the F22 version. Close to 450CAD is what I ended up paying.

Reach out anytime and I'd be glad to help you work through it!!
Appreciate that man. Looks so good i can't lie! i had the 6.5' screen and then upgraded and currently have a 10.25' android unit but am definitely going to go with an OEM screen once i find one. i agree, i think it is definitely worth it
      04-26-2020, 10:29 PM   #15
roach902
Rep

Still awaiting final codeing as per fricking pandemic lmao
Appreciate 0