THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics N20 (228i) / B46 (230i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning 230i Tune issue

06-30-2018, 10:41 AM   #1
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2018 230i MSport

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
230i Tune issue

Looking for some input on an issue I’m having with my recently installed DINAN elite tune on my 230i B46. Between the range of 2400 to 3200 rpm I get a blink of an eye loss of power that immediately comes back almost like I keep getting air bubbles in the line. The wife describes it as feeling like we hit a couple bumps in the road. Watching the gauge I can see the needle tick backwards a hair as it smoothly runs through the power band, kind of like an old watch. This happens at the same rpm range in any gear (MT) with more than 60% throttle applied. It’s worst when I let off the gas completely and let the car coast to 2000 rpm and then accelerate again through the range. This occurs in any mode, and only when the S1 DINAN tune is on. If I bypass it, the car feels lacking in any power by comparison, but the sputtering is gone. If I’m using less than 50% throttle it rolls through smoothly. It’s more prevalent if I ease into the throttle continuously vs flooring it. DINAN says I’m the only one to complain of the issue, and I’m on my second unit now with 0 inprovement. I took several slomo videos with my phone on an open back road and I can clearly see the needle pause then continue at what is approximately the same RPMs every time. 2400, 2600, 2900, 3100. Any advice or input or suggestions to try would be greatly appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 06:36 AM   #2
RoundelM3
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 F80 M3, 22 G01 X3 30i

Garage List
2022 BMW X3  [9.83]
2015 BMW M3  [6.50]
What does Dinan customer support say? You did contact them, right?

2015 F80 ///M3 Sedan 7DCT Tanzanite, 2022 X3 sDrive30i 8AT Brooklyn Grey
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2018, 09:38 AM   #3
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
They had me return the original and checked it saying they found no irregularities in the unit. They sent a new one and it’s doing the exact same thing. In bypass mode everything runs smoothly. When turned on I get the issue. But I’m having a hard time just blaming the tune since it’s the same tune everyone else gets and I’m the only that seems to be having the problem. I’m hoping they can take a closer look when I take my car for the development program, but until then, I was trying to see if there was anything else it could possibly be.
Appreciate 0
      07-13-2018, 02:56 PM   #4
Gogud
Private
Rep
Drives:

I installed the stage one tune on my wife's 230i. While the performance is better than the Sport model I first tried, I have noticed that the engine surges when under light (normal) throttle steady state cruising, particularly when under a light load such as climbing a hill. At around 2k RPM the engine loses power then the power returns and the same thing happens again. There is a drop then a gain in of only a couple hundred RPM. The car is fine without the tune. I am convinced that the tune is not optimized for the B46 and Dinan should revise it. I checked here first before calling Dinan. It looks like they don't care.
Appreciate 0
      07-14-2018, 03:34 PM   #5
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogud View Post
I installed the stage one tune on my wife's 230i. While the performance is better than the Sport model I first tried, I have noticed that the engine surges when under light (normal) throttle steady state cruising, particularly when under a light load such as climbing a hill. At around 2k RPM the engine loses power then the power returns and the same thing happens again. There is a drop then a gain in of only a couple hundred RPM. The car is fine without the tune. I am convinced that the tune is not optimized for the B46 and Dinan should revise it. I checked here first before calling Dinan. It looks like they don't care.

I talked to a guy named Daniel. I am going to call him again next week and let him know I am still having the same issue. He has been very helpful so far. They have reached out to me about using my car in the development program for future 230i stuff later this year so hopefully I can just bring my car and have them sort it out in person. The biggest thing was at the time I was the only one to report this issue and they thought it was an isolated incident. I’ll keep you posted.
Appreciate 0
      08-02-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Update

I talked to Daniel again, they are running some tests on the tune since it's no longer an isolated thing. I found a few others in other forums describing the same issue. I'll keep you posted on what comes of it
Appreciate 1
BM235iW97.00
      08-31-2018, 03:48 PM   #7
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2021 M3C

Also having issues with Dinan in my 230i. I'd try to start the car, hear the ignition, but the engine won't start. Happened twice within a few days. Took it to the dealer and he said the codes pointed toward Dinan. Took the tune off and the car hasn't had any issues.

I regret spending close to $1500 on Dinan honestly. I know they work with customers to fix the issues, but hearing so many people here having issues makes me nervous. I don't have the time to take my car to the dealer for Dinan related issues every few days..
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 01:48 AM   #8
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
Also having issues with Dinan in my 230i. I'd try to start the car, hear the ignition, but the engine won't start. Happened twice within a few days. Took it to the dealer and he said the codes pointed toward Dinan. Took the tune off and the car hasn't had any issues.

I regret spending close to $1500 on Dinan honestly. I know they work with customers to fix the issues, but hearing so many people here having issues makes me nervous. I don't have the time to take my car to the dealer for Dinan related issues every few days..
That's really odd for the tune to be causing ignition problems. The only thing that comes to mind is something not connected fully on the power or ground side. Did you try it with the tune installed but set in bypass mode through the app? If that doesn't solve the problem then it isn't the tune, it is the wiring somehow. Everyone else I have found that is having an issue with the kit is related to basically a flat spot in the tune that causes the engine to flutter several times between 2000-3000rpm under moderate to heavy acceleration. They are still working the issue and I'll update the post as soon as I hear anything else. If your issue isn't resolved by checking all the connections then I would reach out to DINAN. They have been very helpful and forthcoming in assisting with my issue. Good luck!
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 08:06 AM   #9
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clear_Blue22 View Post
That's really odd for the tune to be causing ignition problems. The only thing that comes to mind is something not connected fully on the power or ground side. Did you try it with the tune installed but set in bypass mode through the app? If that doesn't solve the problem then it isn't the tune, it is the wiring somehow. Everyone else I have found that is having an issue with the kit is related to basically a flat spot in the tune that causes the engine to flutter several times between 2000-3000rpm under moderate to heavy acceleration. They are still working the issue and I'll update the post as soon as I hear anything else. If your issue isn't resolved by checking all the connections then I would reach out to DINAN. They have been very helpful and forthcoming in assisting with my issue. Good luck!
I haven't had the issue you described. My SA did say he has seen lots of issues with Dinan lately. It could be because of their move to the new location. But anyway I didn't try it in bypass mode. My dealer will just work with Dinan to get this fixed if I want to keep the tune, which I am still deciding as I really don't want to deal with any Dinan issues in the future or risk voiding my factory warranty.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 09:48 AM   #10
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by hz101 View Post
Quote:
I haven't had the issue you described. My SA did say he has seen lots of issues with Dinan lately. It could be because of their move to the new location. But anyway I didn't try it in bypass mode. My dealer will just work with Dinan to get this fixed if I want to keep the tune, which I am still deciding as I really don't want to deal with any Dinan issues in the future or risk voiding my factory warranty.
Wow that's awesome that your dealer is at least working on it with you. I called both dealers within 250miles of me, and both said that if I had a tune on my car then it would void the engine and drive train warranty on the spot... So I have to remove it every time it goes in for service and then clear the codes out of the history for the unrecognized ECU. Hope you get yours figured out.
Appreciate 0
      09-01-2018, 02:09 PM   #11
hz101
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Thanks. This dealer is a 'Pro Authorized Dealer' as listed on the Dinan website. They sell Dinan parts in the store and work with them all the time.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2018, 11:37 AM   #12
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
My car is with DINAN right now to resolve the tuning issue. I'll keep you posted!
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2018, 11:50 AM   #13
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

I have had a Stage 1 on my 230i for over a year now. I have not experienced the flat spots during acceleration but have been dealing with CELs P112e and P12A4. It is my understanding that a new update is being developed to correct these issues. I hope so as it is very frustrating seeing a CEL almost weekly.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2018, 08:37 AM   #14
CapitaineBeaver
Private
Canada
Rep
Drives: 230i xDrive

Hope you get your issue sorted out ! I've seen multiple thread on similar issue and from what I gathered on those Dinan did acknowledge the issue and is now having customer in to figure this out. I'm still happy with my JB4 and my dealer didnt seem to care at all.
      12-05-2018, 05:58 PM   #15
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
To close this out, if it's not obvious by now Dinan went with a new manufacturer for the harness and chip, the V2. It feels like a more powerful tune, but still not without one small complaint. At 50% pedal there is a sudden drop in torque followed by a rapid onset of torque and the power climbs rapidly from there. It can be annoying when driving in comfort with cruise control set and going up a hill. The car just suddenly pulls hard unexpectedly instead of a more linear predictable acceleration. I spoke to the engineering department and they are going take a look at the issue once they finish a different project
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 06:12 PM   #16
Winemaker2
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i MSport THP Dinan V2

I have not noticed the drop in torque, but maybe more of a lull. I have noticed the sudden pull especially when accelerating around 2K-2.5K rpm. It reminds me of the slight turbo lag on my old Porsche. I mentioned this to Dinan as well. It's funny though, once you know what to expect, you start unconsciously developing/managing the issue through pedal pressure. I am going to try placing cruise control on over some hills and see what happens.

I am still happy with this tune...more power for the 230i and no error codes. Probably right to close this thread.
Appreciate 0
      12-09-2018, 07:58 PM   #17
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker2 View Post
I have not noticed the drop in torque, but maybe more of a lull. I have noticed the sudden pull especially when accelerating around 2K-2.5K rpm. It reminds me of the slight turbo lag on my old Porsche. I mentioned this to Dinan as well. It's funny though, once you know what to expect, you start unconsciously developing/managing the issue through pedal pressure. I am going to try placing cruise control on over some hills and see what happens.

I am still happy with this tune...more power for the 230i and no error codes. Probably right to close this thread.
I'm curious with your results. I have 2 steep hills on my way to and from work. If I have cruise on with the car set to comfort mode it accelerates hard and lets off over and over on the hills. The rapid increase of torque causes it to overshoot the set 55mph and it lets go. Then it will smoothly accelerate again as it hits ~54mph and overshoots again in the same way. You can also replicate it if you increase the set speed by 10mph or more quickly with the steering wheel control. It will accelerate smoothly then suddenly pull hard and then back off again.

One thing I found interesting, I recently installed the free flow exhaust and it smoothed out a little.. But only a little.
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 08:13 PM   #18
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Quote:

I'm curious with your results. I have 2 steep hills on my way to and from work. If I have cruise on with the car set to comfort mode it accelerates hard and lets off over and over on the hills. The rapid increase of torque causes it to overshoot the set 55mph and it lets go. Then it will smoothly accelerate again as it hits ~54mph and overshoots again in the same way. You can also replicate it if you increase the set speed by 10mph or more quickly with the steering wheel control. It will accelerate smoothly then suddenly pull hard and then back off again.

One thing I found interesting, I recently installed the free flow exhaust and it smoothed out a little.. But only a little.
Just got the Dinan Elite V2 installed in my 2017 230i and I'm experiencing a similar surge of power between 2.5-3k at 40-50% pedal pressure.

I'll call Dinan tomorrow to give them more data while they work on a solution.

2017 230i // Estoril Blue II // M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      12-22-2018, 08:29 PM   #19
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sisyrx View Post
Quote:
Quote:

Just got the Dinan Elite V2 installed in my 2017 230i and I'm experiencing a similar surge of power between 2.5-3k at 40-50% pedal pressure.

I'll call Dinan tomorrow to give them more data while they work on a solution.
I got an email from them yesterday. They have a pretty good idea of what's causing the issue and we are scheduling a date to loan them my car again early next month to sort it out. I'll update once I know more. A fix should be on the way in a few weeks though
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:32 AM   #20
Sisyrx
Budget Enthusiast
Rep
Drives: 2017 230i M-Sport

Garage List
2017 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Any news of the software update yet? Clear_Blue22

2017 230i // Estoril Blue II // M-Sport
Appreciate 0
      01-26-2019, 01:57 AM   #21
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
It's in with them right now actually. I'm scheduled to pick up Monday afternoon so we'll see. They were able to see the issue does exist, but the solution robbed the tune of overall power. They are starting from scratch last I heard Thursday. I'll know more Monday morning
Appreciate 0
      01-28-2019, 04:19 PM   #22
Clear_Blue22
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Garage List
2018 BMW 230i  [0.00]
Quote:
Got the car back from Dinan this afternoon. Happy to report the car is really smooth. Ran it through all the paces on my way to work. All the usual hills and corners that would cause the issue it just rolls smoothly right though it. Pulled up my app for a live feed of torque and throttle position, and it's incredibly linear with a smooth exponential power increase all the way through. It's subtle but there is a power increase. It's hard to feel because the power delivery is so smooth you barely feel yourself sinking into the seat more. Also they removed the awesome 3d printed piece and replaced it with the full production release of an amazing carbon gem that sits neatly in the front left corner of the engine space 😉.
Appreciate 0