THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics UK Pro Nav Update

04-12-2016, 06:32 AM   #1
lazyrhino
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Package

Question UK Pro Nav Update

Calling all those of you who're clued up on the Pro Nav - UK spec!

I have a 2014 (64 Reg) BMW M235i, with the Pro Nav, Connected Drive, Concierge etc. you name it. She recently had a service done, and I asked my dealer politely to check for me if there was a Nav update available, as mine seems a little outdated.

They were quick to inform me there was one available, but that'd it'd cost me £110.00 - really, £110.00 for someone to stick a USB drive into my arm rest and select 'update', when vehicles 2015 and onwards have OTA updating? No thanks.

So of course this got me thinking about ways to do this myself. My questions are as follows:
- Has anyone managed to obtain the update files and install? If so how did you go about this?
- Has anyone been even braver, and gone for a full flash/update on iDrive to bring it up to speed with the later registration variant of vehicles (to add OTA Nav updating to your car)?

Would really like to find a way of doing this, as personally, I feel £110.00 is just ridiculous.

Thanks in advance!

P.S. I should add, I am E-Sys competent, so hit me with whatever technical jargon you want!

Last edited by lazyrhino; 04-12-2016 at 06:39 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2016, 10:22 AM   #2
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Hi Kurt,

I had my cars OS reflashed / updated at the dealer as part of them coding MPBBK after installing MPBBK hardware DIY.

My car is an Sept 2013 build and the idrive I step integration level was a lowly level "B" now its "L" - faster graphics, more robust BT hookup for calls and media streaming. V happy.

As far as the updating map database you need an FSC code as well as the USB map update - both can be got from ebay and forum torrents. TBH £110 is a lot but downloading the maps from torrent sites can be a PITA. I would buy an unlimited FSC code and then buy the USB stick with maps and do it yrself....

BP
      04-13-2016, 02:48 AM   #3
lazyrhino
Private
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M4 Competition Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bee Pee View Post
Hi Kurt,

I had my cars OS reflashed / updated at the dealer as part of them coding MPBBK after installing MPBBK hardware DIY.

My car is an Sept 2013 build and the idrive I step integration level was a lowly level "B" now its "L" - faster graphics, more robust BT hookup for calls and media streaming. V happy.

As far as the updating map database you need an FSC code as well as the USB map update - both can be got from ebay and forum torrents. TBH £110 is a lot but downloading the maps from torrent sites can be a PITA. I would buy an unlimited FSC code and then buy the USB stick with maps and do it yrself....

BP
Thanks for your reply.

Hmmm, from all the benefits you're listing there, OS flash sounds EXTREMELY attractive. One of my biggest pet hates about my iDrive is the stupid delay in answering a call - honestly can be anything up to 10 seconds now!

I'd be very very interested to know how/if anyone has managed the OS flash themselves, would be up for trying this for sure.

Thanks for your advice though BP, will consider doing the Nav updates myself at least.

Nice car by the way - I had a 125D M Sport, Estoril Blue just like yours before my M235i
Appreciate 0
      04-20-2016, 12:54 AM   #4
Bee Pee
Brigadier General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: AW M2 DCT

Kurt

Cheers.

Bought USB stick with EU 2016-2 map data via a good deal from Cotswold BMW.

BP
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2016, 01:51 AM   #5
K99
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: M235i M Grey C Red auto

BMW NBT 2016-3 Map Update due

Thinking of getting the map update but don't want to get 2016-2 if 2016-3 is due for release soon. Any ideas, how often do BMW release new versions?
Appreciate 0