THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Cameras, Electronics Valentine One Gen 2 Radar Detector Released

03-17-2020, 06:32 PM   #1
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 228i M-Sport

Valentine One Gen 2 Radar Detector Released

For those unaware, a couple months back Valentine One's website showed they were (Out of Stock) of all V1's suggesting the company had gone under or a new version was going to be released. Happy to report a new version was released last week. Have yet to take the deep dive on this version, thoughts anyone?

https://www.valentine1.com/v1-detectors/
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      03-17-2020, 07:00 PM   #2
El Conquistador
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240 Vert - 6M as god intended

It really seems like the best of both worlds, effectively integrating with Waze
Appreciate 1
      03-17-2020, 07:09 PM   #3
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
I ordered last Wed - they are back ordered until next week. Looking forward to putting it in.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2020, 07:58 PM   #4
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
I ordered last Wed - they are back ordered until next week. Looking forward to putting it in.
Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfGTI View Post
Awesome, will be upgrading mine in the near future. Please share results!
Appreciate 1
WolfGTI716.00
      03-21-2020, 09:00 PM   #5
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

I use two V1s in my current two cars. I've been using them many many years in all my cars and used to swear by them. But if you have a model more than 4 years old it will false alert on all the cars blind spot radar. You cant upgrade it, you need to buy a new one. Also the competitors all have GPS version in the same price point as V1s that will learn where the common false alerts are on your normal drive areas and stop falsing there. V1 does not.

However, I added a $50 bluetooth dongle to my V1s, and since I wont drive ANYWHERE without Waze on my phone is always on and connected when I drive and there are two aftermarket apps (YaV1 and JBV1) that will connect to your V1 and use the phones GPS to save a database of where your common false alarms are keep the V1 for beeping for that exact frequency at that exact location. So basically now my V1 is just as good as a unit that has GPS databasing. But I cant recommend anyone else looking for a radar detector to buy the $50 dongle and keep the apps running everytime they drive just to keep the detector as good as the competition.

So the first thing I noticed was the Gen2 V1 says no GPS. Its not needed "because why false a whole range of radar at each location when a cop could set up at that location using the same radar frequency". Well thats frustrating. I'd rather have the GPS muting because my unit is super quiet and even in the urban area I drive I almost never get falses anymore. IMO the odds of a cop happen to set up in the same spot as a false alarm area and happen to have a gun using the same frequency of the false alarm is pretty slim.

One good thing is the new Gen2 has build in bluetooth. As long as YaV1 and JBV1 adapt to work with the new Gen2 (and Valentine didnt do something to block them) and you have a user who will always have their phone connected everytime they drive, I couldnt recommend it.
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      03-29-2020, 12:29 PM   #6
Maynard
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 228iX & M2C

Hoping they give some discount or buyback on the old units for former customers. I bought one a couple years ago, supposedly after that fix, but sadly it lives up to their ad the wrong way - it never shuts up. I do like the general design, the directional alerts, and the whole 'OG of radar detection' thing, so they are still my first choice. I'm also going to hate not having a volume knob where I can reach it.
Appreciate 1
      03-29-2020, 01:45 PM   #7
lateapex'er
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maynard View Post
Hoping they give some discount or buyback on the old units for former customers. I bought one a couple years ago, supposedly after that fix, but sadly it lives up to their ad the wrong way - it never shuts up. I do like the general design, the directional alerts, and the whole 'OG of radar detection' thing, so they are still my first choice. I'm also going to hate not having a volume knob where I can reach it.
They do have an upgrade program where they will upgrade your earlier model with the latest version for a reduced price. The price varies, depending on the age of your V1.

I concur with the volume knob!

https://www.valentine1.com/v1-detectors/upgrades/
Appreciate 1
Maynard3848.00
      03-29-2020, 03:14 PM   #8
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

I Currently hav a V1 - But for how much longer???

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 09:54 AM   #9
TrboMike
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW M240ix

Maynard- you can program it using the dial, if you dont have bluetooth. Turn off XBand. Enable K false supression. Set it to Mute each band at certain dot level. Ie: K band wont beep until it gets to 3 dots, etc.

If you have bluetooth, then you can program the unit to be much quieter using YaV1 or JBV1 apps (free).
Appreciate 0