THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics Mechanical Maintenance and TSBs: Break-in | Oil & Fluids | Servicing | TSB How to judge if the steering wheel is leveled or not?

04-14-2024, 07:21 AM   #1
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

How to judge if the steering wheel is leveled or not?

if the two red lines are parallel, does it mean that the steering wheel is leveled or where I should look at? I am talking about the car is driving straight and the position of the steering wheel.

My car is not leveled, but some local mechanics told me F20 and F21 are all have such "problem"

It is quite confusing.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 10:12 AM   #2
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: bmw

An alignment check will tell you if its all correct.If its not they will adjust it.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2024, 10:35 PM   #3
vooheese
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F20-120i

quite afraid to get an alignment. Bad experience before, it is time consuming and most of time ended up not good result. It requires too much experience for most mech shops.

Just want to see what is other people's idea about this steering wheel position.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 03:44 PM   #4
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep

You will not be able to tell if your steering wheel is straight with that picture.Even if you put a level it will show the steering wheel is straight,how will u tell if the wheels are straight as well?It does not take alot of experience regarding a simple alignment,and it does not take time,maybe u had a bad experience with a certain shop,try a better(people from your area can recomend)shop this time around,or simply get bmw to do the alignment for you which would be more than a regular tyre shop.
Appreciate 0
      04-15-2024, 03:46 PM   #5
Shirazkhan
Private
No_Country
Rep

And change your mechanic.
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2024, 12:02 PM   #6
Kernel Kurtz
Major
Rep
Drives: 2020 M240i xDrive

There is a steering angle sensor in the column. For all the electronics to work right, it needs to be centered (zero angle) when the wheels are aligned straight ahead. Zero should be halfway between full lock either direction, there is a calibration procedure. If you are not getting any warming lights there is probably no problem here. The wheel may seem slightly off level, but it is purely cosmetic.
Appreciate 0