THE LARGEST BMW 2-SERIES FORUM ON THE PLANET
2Addicts
2Addicts
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
2Addicts | BMW 2-Series forum Technical Topics B58 (M240i) Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Tuning Dinan Stage 2 Update

02-12-2020, 01:05 PM   #111
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Any BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcollier91 View Post
The one thing you have over most other tunes, your relationship with BMW, is going to be irrelevant. My car is going to be out of warranty before this tune gets released. Or at least the overlap window will have shrunk considerably. Why would I wait longer to pay more for dinan when my warranty is expired anyways.
We will have warrantied and non-warranted options for significantly less so no matter if you are out of warranty or not you would still have a choice reflective of your situation. If you are out of warranty though there is no argument that you have plenty of options to choose from -- with Dinan simply being another of them. We would like to think that the R&D effort put behind our offering will ultimately provide superior reliability and drivability over the competition but only time will tell. Of course competitors do have a leg up on Dinan for those that wish to run catless or do meth injection or any of those modifications that effect emissions. We will not play in that arena and are after a completely legal product lineup.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2020, 02:00 PM   #112
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

bump
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 04:36 PM   #113
DaleHeinz
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M240Xi Estoril Blue

Quote:
bump
Don't waste your time bumping. They'll have a stage 1 for the 2024 M3 before anything other than a stage 1 for the B58 motor. We're better off getting an ECU flash tune from somewhere else after we go out of warranty.

The B58 is 4 years old and they haven't gotten past the Stage 1 v2. I'm not holding my breath anymore.
Appreciate 1
cooolone2625.00
      03-11-2020, 04:59 PM   #114
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240i

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleHeinz View Post
Don't waste your time bumping. They'll have a stage 1 for the 2024 M3 before anything other than a stage 1 for the B58 motor. We're better off getting an ECU flash tune from somewhere else after we go out of warranty.

The B58 is 4 years old and they haven't gotten past the Stage 1 v2. I'm not holding my breath anymore.
I imagine they know what they're doing and assume that the market for the Stage 1 told them that the likely take rate for a Stage 2 doesn't warrant moving it up the list.

For the past two years, I've been waiting for an AP Racing brake kit from Essex Parts for our cars. I've pretty well decided it's never going to happen either and have assumed that the same thing is going on: there just aren't enough potential buyers to warrant putting it in front of other projects.

It's a shame given that more power and brakes from the aftermarket are the major impediments to our getting the most out of this wonderful platform. Not that there aren't viable options out there that solve both problems, but in my case Dinan and AP Racing are what I know and what I want.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 08:24 PM   #115
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dradernh View Post
Quote:

I imagine they know what they're doing and assume that the market for the Stage 1 told them that the likely take rate for a Stage 2 doesn't warrant moving it up the list.

For the past two years, I've been waiting for an AP Racing brake kit from Essex Parts for our cars. I've pretty well decided it's never going to happen either and have assumed that the same thing is going on: there just aren't enough potential buyers to warrant putting it in front of other projects.

It's a shame given that more power and brakes from the aftermarket are the major impediments to our getting the most out of this wonderful platform. Not that there aren't viable options out there that solve both problems, but in my case Dinan and AP Racing are what I know and what I want.
Quote:

Totally fair given history. Not accurate, but until proven otherwise it's the attitude I totally expect and understand.

[QUOTE=dradernh;25914026]
Quote:

Not that there aren't viable options out there that solve both problems, but in my case Dinan and AP Racing are what I know and what I want.
Market is definitely there. Problem we have had is altering priorities and internal challenges related to restructuring/moving of the company. Starting from scratch sucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 09:28 PM   #116
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Market is definitely there. Problem we have had is altering priorities and internal challenges related to restructuring/moving of the company. Starting from scratch sucks.
Appreciate the response, and the fact that you're paying attention.
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:08 PM   #117
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: customE50Tune

How does dinan warranty work? Who pays for loaner car during the time dinan and BMW argues who pays for the repair? Ourselves or dinan or BMW?
Appreciate 0
      03-11-2020, 11:10 PM   #118
cookah
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMWM240iX

Seems pointless to upgrade my car until the flash comes out. *sad face*
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 07:59 AM   #119
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by lixiang7349 View Post
How does dinan warranty work? Who pays for loaner car during the time dinan and BMW argues who pays for the repair? Ourselves or dinan or BMW?
Dinan warranty works the same as it has for 20+ years. In the event of a problem you take the vehicle in to be diagnosed /repaired. During that course if BMW NA determines the issue to be the result of a Dinan modification then the bill is handled by Dinan. Each situation varies a bit but that's the basic course.
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 11:09 AM   #120
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinan_Engineering View Post
Dinan warranty works the same as it has for 20+ years. In the event of a problem you take the vehicle in to be diagnosed /repaired. During that course if BMW NA determines the issue to be the result of a Dinan modification then the bill is handled by Dinan. Each situation varies a bit but that's the basic course.
By bill being handled you mean the bill for parts, labor and loaner car? i mean the owner won't need to pay anything out of pocket?
Appreciate 0
      03-12-2020, 12:36 PM   #121
Dinan_Engineering
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
By bill being handled you mean the bill for parts, labor and loaner car? i mean the owner won't need to pay anything out of pocket?
Again, depends on the specific situation but generally, no. It sounds like you have something very specific going on so if thats the case I would reccommend you reach out to the support folks (support@dinancars.com) and they can give you a specific answer to the situation you are in.
Appreciate 0
      03-21-2020, 07:34 AM   #122
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Guys I finally did it. Just got bm3 stage 1 tune for M240i and 320i. 320i gained 48% hp, M240i gained 18% hp. It’s like getting 2 new cars. So much fun.
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:31 PM   #123
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2017 M240iX Coupe

Quote:
Dealing with this real-time now.

My understanding is Dinan pays for labor/diagnosis if car is still under warranty as Dinan product is warranted for that time as well.

As for the loaner..I thought loaners were standard at BMW service shops. Have you been charged for one?
Appreciate 0
      03-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #124
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AleksanderSuave View Post
Quote:

My understanding is Dinan pays for labor/diagnosis if car is still under warranty as Dinan product is warranted for that time as well.

As for the loaner..I thought loaners were standard at BMW service shops. Have you been charged for one?
Quote:
Quote:

Too late I'm already running bm3 stg1. Very happy so far.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2020, 08:16 PM   #125
tcollier91
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: M240i

Quote:

I’d like to hear how that’s going. Both BMW dealers in my area were dinan authorized dealers and when I enquired they stated they are ending their relationship with them. Too many problems, and too much of dinan dragging their feet on warranty. They are continuing to support the folks that alresdy have stuff installed, but aren’t doing any new installs. My service advisor said it was just too much of a headache. Pretty disheartening hearing that, thinking I was going to spend extra to get some reliability and protection.
Appreciate 1
dradernh4388.00
      03-31-2020, 01:33 PM   #126
lixiang7349
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Quote:

I'd like to hear how that's going. Both BMW dealers in my area were dinan authorized dealers and when I enquired they stated they are ending their relationship with them. Too many problems, and too much of dinan dragging their feet on warranty. They are continuing to support the folks that alresdy have stuff installed, but aren't doing any new installs. My service advisor said it was just too much of a headache. Pretty disheartening hearing that, thinking I was going to spend extra to get some reliability and protection.
Quote:
Quote:

I'd like to hear how that's going. Both BMW dealers in my area were dinan authorized dealers and when I enquired they stated they are ending their relationship with them. Too many problems, and too much of dinan dragging their feet on warranty. They are continuing to support the folks that alresdy have stuff installed, but aren't doing any new installs. My service advisor said it was just too much of a headache. Pretty disheartening hearing that, thinking I was going to spend extra to get some reliability and protection.
Same here. BMW Portland is also done with dinan. They don't even warrant previous installation.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2020, 12:51 PM   #127
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I’d like to hear how that’s going. Both BMW dealers in my area were dinan authorized dealers and when I enquired they stated they are ending their relationship with them. Too many problems, and too much of dinan dragging their feet on warranty. They are continuing to support the folks that alresdy have stuff installed, but aren’t doing any new installs. My service advisor said it was just too much of a headache. Pretty disheartening hearing that, thinking I was going to spend extra to get some reliability and protection.
Unfortunately, its not going well at all.

they shipped the replacement to the dealership. I was informed that I pay upfront for the labor and Dinan reimburses me.

Not too crazy about that but whatever. I have 3 vehicles in the house and work from home so a loaner wasnt necessary.

My SA advised me that the dealership has had issues with Dinan paying for work as well, so now they charge labor up front from the customer. Advised me to make sure that I got in writing that Dinan would reimburse me.

I went through multiple rounds of contacting by email and phone, and my point person at Dinan was switched. They waited until EOD to respond that I needed proof of purchase..

After all of that was resolved, a unit was shipped rather quickly to the dealership. I think 3 days total turnaround time. Costs were about $430 for labor (diag and install).

I picked up the vehicle and it definitely drove "OK" but did not feel like the tuner was working. When I got home I confirmed the suspected issue.

Two parts to it:

1. confirming in the app store reviews, as of recent IOS updates, the dynantronics elite app no longer works.

thinking "I'm good" as the app isnt required to run the tune, I go to check the install. The install instructions document on the dinan website is a dead link.

After much googling, I find a dinan cold air intake document, improperly labeled, that actually has the part number for the tuner.

I follow the instructions and check connections at all points of installation. All wires are neatly tucked, zip tied, and run very cleanly. Looks OEM if I didnt know any better.

Check the tuner, and the "status LED", and find that its dead. Check all connections, unplug and unplug all of them, stand on one leg and attempt to speak german spells to make it work, yet still nothing.

as far as I can tell, the tuner sent to me was DOA. The app not functioning on IOS prevented any type of additional testing as well.

Conveniently, Dinan support doesnt answer after 5 pm, or on saturdays. I contact their facebook page, and send multiple emails.

FB someone responds saying that they usually have someone working on saturdays, but due to covid, they're short staffed.

An entire company has zero people working on a saturday?

Im incredibly disappointed and now have a vehicle thats stock, with a useless tuner plugged in.

At this point, the $1200 cost of the tuner, with the "warranty support" seems worthless. I called multiple dealers in my area, including the shop with most experience installing Dinan in german cars in Michigan. They said they've been involved with Dinan since the 80s, and now have a 1 person dedicated just to figuring out Dinan labor reimbursement and other Dinan issues, because of their soured reputation and new track record of not paying bills.

I've went from someone who was incredibly brand loyal (have Dinan tuner, dinan CF mirror covers, dinan pedal accents, dinan exhaust) to likely someone who will never buy another Dinan product again.

At this point, MHD or BM3 is likely going to be my next choice.
Appreciate 2
Mehim76.50
MassNerd171.00
      04-05-2020, 08:17 PM   #128
BimBimM2
Banned
Rep
Drives: M240xi 'Vert

Quote:
Quote:
Unfortunately, its not going well at all.

they shipped the replacement to the dealership. I was informed that I pay upfront for the labor and Dinan reimburses me.

Not too crazy about that but whatever. I have 3 vehicles in the house and work from home so a loaner wasnt necessary.

My SA advised me that the dealership has had issues with Dinan paying for work as well, so now they charge labor up front from the customer. Advised me to make sure that I got in writing that Dinan would reimburse me.

I went through multiple rounds of contacting by email and phone, and my point person at Dinan was switched. They waited until EOD to respond that I needed proof of purchase..

After all of that was resolved, a unit was shipped rather quickly to the dealership. I think 3 days total turnaround time. Costs were about $430 for labor (diag and install).

I picked up the vehicle and it definitely drove "OK" but did not feel like the tuner was working. When I got home I confirmed the suspected issue.

Two parts to it:

1. confirming in the app store reviews, as of recent IOS updates, the dynantronics elite app no longer works.

thinking "I'm good" as the app isnt required to run the tune, I go to check the install. The install instructions document on the dinan website is a dead link.

After much googling, I find a dinan cold air intake document, improperly labeled, that actually has the part number for the tuner.

I follow the instructions and check connections at all points of installation. All wires are neatly tucked, zip tied, and run very cleanly. Looks OEM if I didnt know any better.

Check the tuner, and the "status LED", and find that its dead. Check all connections, unplug and unplug all of them, stand on one leg and attempt to speak german spells to make it work, yet still nothing.

as far as I can tell, the tuner sent to me was DOA. The app not functioning on IOS prevented any type of additional testing as well.

Conveniently, Dinan support doesnt answer after 5 pm, or on saturdays. I contact their facebook page, and send multiple emails.

FB someone responds saying that they usually have someone working on saturdays, but due to covid, they're short staffed.

An entire company has zero people working on a saturday?

Im incredibly disappointed and now have a vehicle thats stock, with a useless tuner plugged in.

At this point, the $1200 cost of the tuner, with the "warranty support" seems worthless. I called multiple dealers in my area, including the shop with most experience installing Dinan in german cars in Michigan. They said they've been involved with Dinan since the 80s, and now have a 1 person dedicated just to figuring out Dinan labor reimbursement and other Dinan issues, because of their soured reputation and new track record of not paying bills.

I've went from someone who was incredibly brand loyal (have Dinan tuner, dinan CF mirror covers, dinan pedal accents, dinan exhaust) to likely someone who will never buy another Dinan product again.

At this point, MHD or BM3 is likely going to be my next choice.
I know Dinan reads this, so better to post over here. Dinan and Noelle Performance are the two companies right now who offer this "warranty support", but I personally think the lack of transparency and all these stories like yours don't really make the juice worth the squeeze.

I read so much about platforms like BM3 everyday, and I am yet to read horror stories. The bang for the buck cannot be beat. And if all these warranty situations are so full of bullshit then are they even worth it, given that things like BM3 are so reliable?

My advice, get on BM3, get Cary Jordan to tune your car. Enjoy your time. These fucking headaches are not worth it.

P.s. I should also add, Noelle Performance is no better. They have the same over-priced, under performing tune situation as well. The premium you pay is for the bullshit warranty if you ever need to use it. In this day and age, with the proven reliability of the B58 platform, not worth it.

P.p.s. I absolutely stand behind the phrase that this is a bullshit warranty if BMW is on the outs and there is all this drama one needs to deal with to get anything done.
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 09:05 AM   #129
subzero05
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 335

Quote:
whoa? can you mention who these dealers are?
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 12:03 PM   #130
AleksanderSuave
Lieutenant
Rep

Update:
I called in today, was told by support that V2 doesnt have bluetooth support. I dont find that believable. Its also not communicated anywhere on the website or documents.

Was also told V2 doesnt have a status LED. Was told to go for a drive to test it. Then plug the bypass in and drive it within it bypassed. When I double checked the unit install, Im pretty sure there is a status LED on either side of the main wiring harness connection. I mentioned to them that the install doc on the website is a dead link. This was apparently fixed. Looks like the only thing that has been fixed so far in this situation.

I offered to pull live data through my autel maxicheck pro (advanced code reader with ABS capabilities and code clearing) and was told this wouldnt show anything they could diagnose off of.

I dont understand how Im supposed to check if its working with no status LED, no bluetooth app. My buttdyno hasnt been calibrated recently, but I now have to drive in Sport + to replicate the driving experience that comfort mode had with V1 tuner. All exhaust burbles are gone except in sport +, and cold start sound is noticeably muted.

Im kinda wishing at this point that I would have never gotten V2, and just used my code reader to clear the codes from V1 and continue driving as it is..

Would love to have an actual response from Dinan Engineering on the forum, or something more than an email that comes in once a day and basically doesnt accomplish anything at this point.

I find it impossible to believe that there is no way of physically or electronically diagnosing if the unit works. I have an advanced code reader, I have a multimeter. I registered the unit on their website as well. Im stumped at this point and with the COVID situation, its not exactly easy to get in for service to have it diagnosed again, nor do I want to pay for diagnosis a second time now since Im already out of pocket $430.

Last edited by AleksanderSuave; 04-06-2020 at 12:08 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:25 PM   #131
dradernh
Brigadier General
Rep

Quote:
Update:
I called in today, was told by support that V2 doesnt have bluetooth support. I dont find that believable. Its also not communicated anywhere on the website or documents.

Was also told V2 doesnt have a status LED. Was told to go for a drive to test it. Then plug the bypass in and drive it within it bypassed.
I too have a V2. I just went back to confirm that there was no mention of Bluetooth or an LED on the V2 web page or in the install doc. I didn't have a V1 or know much about them, so I wasn't expecting something like those to be present.

I didn't do my own install, and except for Dinan's install doc I don't know what the ECU connection looks like once the unit's been hooked up to the harness. But I'm wondering, is it possible that your bypass plug is installed? (Probably not since you already went over the installation.)

If the bypass plug isn't installed, do you have a place where you can perform timed back-to-back pulls from 50 or 60 up to 90 or 100, installing the bypass plug between pulls? That would tell you what you've got. Alternatively, there's always a dyno, but they cost more money and may not be open at this time.

Quote:
Maybe the company isn't financially healthy enough to help you out? Or they don't want to?
A number of organizations have recently been merged or integrated. It's going to take some time to see what the result is for customers of the Dinan brand.

There's a bit of detail here: https://www.dinancars.com/blog/post/..._acquires_apr/.

Last edited by dradernh; 04-06-2020 at 01:30 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-06-2020, 01:46 PM   #132
WolfGTI
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '17 F22,15 E84 M Sport,02 R53

Garage List
2017 BMW M240i  [0.00]
2002 MINI Cooper S  [0.00]
2015 BMW X1  [0.00]
Maybe you should think before you post. Instead of passive / aggressive offering thoughts?

Quote:
Maybe the company isn't financially healthy enough to help you out? Or they don't want to?
Appreciate 0